Buying a sub best options? Help?

Username: Stubbs563

Post Number: 1
I'm going to be purchasing a 15" sub soon, and i was wondering what my best options would be for around $250 new/lightly used running around 1000-1200rms.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 752
BL15
Rms: 1000W *
Ported box: 3-5cuft
Price: $ 294.00
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154b6e40c366f0c/s hopdata/0050_Speakers/0020_BL/product_overview.shopscript

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15939
u did not say if ur amp is 1 or 2ohms stable but RE SX

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RE-AUDIO-SX15D2-SX-15-2000w-CAR-SUBWOOFER-SX15-D2_W0QQit emZ300339915019QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Subwoofers_Enclosures?hash=item45eda7690b

is a good buy ......

Post Number: 2
Well I was thinking about a SSD Q or SSA ICON, those were two recommendations from a buddy of mine I think i would be running them with:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20599_Hifonics_BXI_1610D.aspx

or the 1200W version of that

Going in a 98 Passat

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15940
well i havent hear the only 2 so i cant comment on those

did u already buy the amp already ? ...im sure ppl on here cud recommend something better than that , maybe audioque 1200D ...

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 756
Hifonics.. eh it'll work, but you are going to need to get a bigger amp then what you need. Those amps are under-rated and are known to be shitttay.

AudioQ 1200d would be perfect and a MUCH better amp.

- i own a AQ amp currently and once you set everything correctly its perfect.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 757
"Coming March 1st 2010" - you really want to wait to get the SSD or the Q?

Post Number: 4
No, i was planning to get a "gently used" - hopefully one possibly for a little cheaper, and what do the aq1200d's run in price?

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 758
Audioque.com
AQ1200D $249 each shipped

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 760
Specifications
Model AQ1200D
Frequency Response 20Hz250Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 100db
Low Pass Crossover 24db / Oct
Low Pass Crossover Range 20Hz200Hz
Subsonic Crossover Range 10Hz50Hz
Input Sensitivity 0.2V8V
Output Master / Input Slave Connection Yes
Working Voltage 8V16V
Efficiency @ 4 ohm 84%
Damping Factor Less than 150
Fuse Rating 40Amp X 3 (Linked 240 Amp)
Output Power 14.4V @ 1% THD 510X1 @ 4 ohm,
870X1 @ 2 ohm,
1200X1 @1 ohm
Output Power 14.4V @ 5% THD 1470X1 @ 1 ohm
Dash Mounted Remote Included
Dimensions 12.75a(L)x9.27a(W)x2.35a(H)

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 5
So if i'm installing this into a 98 passat would I have to worry about power or anything?

Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 4
look at digital designs. I have a dd3512 and that thing absolutely pounds. but you cant go wrong with fi either. re is cool but a bit expensive, fi is definitely a better choice as it is made from people that worked at re but at cheaper costs. or check out dc audio. A 15'' level 3 or 4. I would recommend digital designs. but thats just me, I've had mine for 4 yrs and it takes abuse but keeps pounding. and theres nothing wrong with hifonics amps. they are overrated but one of the best bang for the buck. I really have taken a liking to alpine amps lately too. But yes your car will not handle 1200 clean watts, you will need to upgrade the alternator and do the big 3 and most likely add a battery. I like alpine amps because they are slightly underrated at 2 ohms so you will get 1200 out of a 1000 watt alpine at 2 ohms. I just dont like the sound at 1 ohm... like with the aq you would have to run at 1 ohm to get full power. but check out ebay. harmon kardons store sells the jbl gto14001 which is refurbished for pretty cheap. they just let it auction out. i got one for $150 at its cea-2006 compliant. its rated at 1200 rms at 4 ohms and 1500 rms at 2 ohms, but it is very very very power hungry and will take a strong electrical to properly function.
But when you say you want a sub to push out 1000-1200 watts have you actually heard what that sounds like? I mean true clean watts. If you havent im about 99% sure that if you heard a system with 500 true watts you will truly be surprised, that is if its a quality sub in a proper box. The box is the most important part of bass. I can easily make 2 sony 12'' subs sound amazing in a well built box.

So basically im just saying if you know what a true 1200 watts sounds like and thats what you want go for it, but if you dont know what its like i can see you being happy with a sub in a very nicely built box only getting 600-800 watts that will amaze you and all your friends, and you wont have to deal with the hassle of upgrading everything to run 1200 watts.

just throwing that out there, for example a level 3 15'' dc in a 4.0 cu ft box being ran off a alpine mrd-1000 at 4 ohms or 2 ohms will shake your car like no other. Your roof will definitely flex and plenty of air will be moving in your car.

but if you really want to run 1200 watts you will need to upgrade the electrical no questions asked.
you could try to run a hifonics at 1 ohm thinking your getting around 1800 watts at 1 ohm since you can turn the gain all the way up, but in reality your maybe pushing 1800. its just the truth.
hope this helps
i know im new and have just a few posts but i do know my car audio as i have competed and had many systems

Post Number: 5
i meant to say about the hifonics you will really be only running 800 watts thinking your pushing out 1800.
sorry i hope that is clear and helps you understand more, i know i dont have the best grammer.. i just type as i think it lol

also whatever you go with make sure you put your sub in a ported box.
a good tuning for a 15 would be around 30 hz.. thats kinda low for me. i personally like 12'' subs better than 15's but thats just because most hip hop music will sound better to me with a box tuned around 37 hz and a 15 is just meant to be tuned lower.. but everyone has their own likes and a 12'' sub fits my likes.
but im sure some people would disagree with me about using a ported box and thats fine, but to me if your going to be listening to hip hop music which im just making that assumption as you want alot of bass.. ported boxes is the way to go.
im just giving my opinion though so i can completely understand if you dont like my advice, but if you do like what i have said so far i would definitely say go ported instead of sealed

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 6
Well are you talking basically about the RMS that your amp would put out? And ive heard a BL fully loaded at like 1200rms (guestamation) my buddy is a gold member on here that started me into look at subs so him and other friend are who have been helping me. but what can i run clean with the stock alternator

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15953
whoa thats a lot of typing - u must have had some free time to spare ....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
haha i know right! i just love car audio. I have competed and have had rediculous bass, and when i know someone else wants to get in to it, i just want to give them as much help as possible as it probably took me building about 5 systems to get it perfected, or at least to my terms.
but how many amps is your alternator?
and just so you know on a warm day your car is probably going to need about 33% of those amps to perform so that leaves about 67% give or take to dedicate to an amp.
and it takes like 100 amps i think. give or take depending on the efficiency of your amp to truly have 1200 watts.
so i think honestly most people can run 800 watts with a stock eletrical.
but thats only if your running 1 d class amp to just bass.. if you run an a/b amp for your speakers that amp is probably drawing between 25-35 amps depending on the power.
and of course you know a class d amp on average is only 80% efficient..
so i know people will disagree with me saying you can run 1200 watts on a stock electrical but i just cant see that working if your car has a 80 amp alternator.
sorry im just throwing numbers out there without proof but thats what i can remember off the top of my head without doing research..

but what did u think about that BL fully loaded at 1200 watts?

and of course different amps will need more or less amps to get their full power.. but in general i would say you can run 800 watts clean with no upgrades.

you also have to throw in the wire you are using as well. you can run 1200 watts if you have 4 ga wire, but the longer your wire the less amps that can run through it. i think if you have like 6 ft of wire to your amp you can run like 120 amps through that wire but if you run 15 ft of wire that number will drop to like 80 amps. again im guessing i dont have any proof to that.
but it just makes me laugh when i would compete and guys were running 4 12'' kicker l7s in a box way to small for them, thinking they were pushing 4000 watts to them on a stock electrical and wondering why they had such low numbers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
im not saying im 100% correct with everything im saying, but i think you have the right idea of what you want to do. I see no reason to run multiple subs on a stock system, when you can just run 1 good sub, in a proper box and have the same results. its less money spent and it will make you happy knowing your system pounds without spending thousands of dollars

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 7
Yeah for sure man, thanks for all the help, i am still debating and deciding. I did find out however, that my stock alternator is 90 amps, and i will just be powering 1 15" - Still havn't decided (waiting till march 1st) to see the new SSD's and Q's

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 8
A little update for everyone, I just orderd a Kicker ZX 1000.1 for power :-), waiting on Fi to let me order that fresh 2010

Silver Member
Username: Poprocks

Post Number: 318
A friend has a ZX1000.1 on a Fi BL 15"(4cf.34Hz) and it sounds good.

Bronze Member

Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Post Number: 14
BL/Q are the 2 that i have lowerd it down to i am just anxiously waiting >_< for the specs for the new Q to come out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us