Help, my amp keep shut off

Username: Greedy

Post Number: 1
my performance teknique amp keeps shutting off and i can't seem to make the damn thing work. any help is greatly appreciated. The amp is bridged with a 4 ch fosgate amp and running on a pair of 10" kickers. i think the problem might be the settings on teknique amp but i lost the manual. thanks in advance for any help

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 318
Try replacing a fuse, either on the AMP or in the car fuse box. Sounds like something blew.

Post Number: 2
I checked the fuse and everything seems fine so i am still lost about what to do. but thanks for the input though

Post Number: 3
The fosgate amp which runs the front and rear speaker are still running but the sub controlled by tekniques are off. i checked the fuses and reset the gain from 2v to lesser but still nothing, i appreciate any input on this problem

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 322
Have you checked the sub wires, make sure nothing came out or broke off. I doubt the sub is blown. You may want to mess around with the ground. Make sure it is tight on the car and there is bare metal. Also wiggle the ground wire- mainly near the contact area on the car frame. Really wiggle it hard. Sometimes the ground is the problem even though it looks to be ok.

Post Number: 4
could it be the thing which holds the fuses that connects to the battery?(sorry for the grammar but i really don't know how to describe it) one of the slots that hold the main fuses is warped with some black stuff on it. could that be it and if so how much is the part?

Post Number: 5
because after i checked the fuse and tried again, it works for a bit but when i turn the volume up the amp shuts off again. thanks for the help by the way

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 324
Could you tell me the power rating on the AMP and how big of wire you are using for that AMP. I am thinking that there is too much power and not enought wire thickness to handel it, so thats why when you raise the volume you raise the power going though the wires, then when the wires cant get enough to the AMP the AMP shuts off. I dont know how that hits you but let me know the AMP rateing and the Gauge wire.

Post Number: 6
Amp 800 max unknown rms into 2 ch. 12 ga from sub to amp and 8 from amp to amp

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 328
Well your RMS is about 400W or so. All your wiring is fine and right on the $$$. I really am at a loss for ideas. Somebody else might know. But i am going to keep thinking. Just play around with it alot. I know thats what youve been doing but it usually works.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 618
Probably the fuse holder, the fact that corrosion is in there, or foreign material, whatever the "black stuff" you explained is, will effect the contacts and won't permit a proper flow of current. Replace the fuse holder and see how that does. Which Rockfor d amp is it? You may need more than 8 guage, generally if the system pulls more than 65 amps of current, which is around 600-700 RMS, possibly lower depending on the efficiency of the amps, you'll need 4 guage wire.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 619
By the way, to temporarily test it, you could run a temp power wire connected in place of the fuse block, do not run this for long, just temporarily to see if that is the problem.

0Ff_B3atz
Unregistered guest
I had the same problem, and had to update my power wire and fuse holder so listen to jonathan. I have 4 gauge and inline fuse holder.. some cheap shi**y @$$ fuse holder from the flea market.. but it has worked for awhile.. good luck with that power outage. (Doesnt that remind you of california...!! ))

Post Number: 7
Thanks fellas for the help, i will try to find a fuse holder and see how things work out. I really appreciate all your help and advice and i will keep you updated on the process, again thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us