RE or JL or...?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

WV United States

Post Number: 545
Hey guys, it's been about 4 years since I've posted here (doubt anyone actually remembers me, but I used to live on here :P), got busy with college and didn't have much time to work on car audio and such, but recently came into a small chunk of money (college refund from scholarships haha), and would like to work on putting a new system in my 99 Cherokee. This isn't my first system, the last one was pieced together, fairly good AA subs, and custom enclosure, but this time I'd like to go with something a bit cleaner and more serious.

In my last setup I used an ED 9.4 amp for the speakers, and was very pleased with the amp. So I'm thinking of going with an ED 9.1 and a sub between the 900-1.2Kw, probably a single 12 -15". Currently I'm between something with RE Audio (though I'm not sure what's good by them anymore) and a single JL 13w7. The JL is still a bit pricey as I remember, though not out of the question, unless there's something equivalent in a 12-15" RE model, as I've noticed they're a bit cheaper. I'll be doing a ported enclosure as well. I plan on upgrading the electrical system with a H/O alt. and everything like that, so no problems expected in that dept, just need to pick out a nice sub.

If anyone could make some suggestions that would be great as I've been out of touch with brands/quality in car audio for about 4 years now. The suggestions don't have to be limited to RE or JL either, but I'm looking to buy into something that will last and will rank well in SQL.

Also, though it's in the wrong section, if anyone has some suggestion on a pair of 5.25" components for the front and 6x9 co-axials for the back, that would also be appreciated. All-in-all I'm working with about $2k. So basically, it's speakers/sub. I'm looking for, already have the HU picked out and amp.

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 664
I don't think the JL drivers are worth the chedda(with a big company like JL yr buying the brand as well as the driver), I know the W7 is on the sq side but there are many more options for you that are better and cheaper. The alpine type x is a good sq sub but still beats like kingkong. FI BL would be pretty nice or the Q.
Ficaraudio.com - BL or Q
eBay.com - Alpine Type X

4yrs is a long time what kind of wiring do you have?
Any extra batts or a ho alt or big 3? 1200k + comp set and comp amp will put a strain on yr sh!t if you have a low amp alternator.

With only 900-1200 wrms id personally go with a 12" but in theory more cone space.. more air movement.. louder choise but I like to think a sub big as a 15 should be fed more power then 900wrms.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

WV United States

Post Number: 546
Gonna upgrade alt. to a 200A, maybe 250A if I can, I'm still waiting on quotes from different companies. Probably not gonna add a new battery at this time. By 4 years I meant since my last posting, but it's a '99 Cherokee, oddly enough like new since it was given to me by my uncle and he's a freak about keeping vehicles in good condition. Only about 60k miles at the moment lol.

Isn't Fi the company that split off from the original RE company? Is Alpine ok to go with since they're so mainstream? I'm definitely into SQL since I listen to music to enjoy it and not simply be beat in the head by it with insanely high SPLs. So yea, I'm looking for something to produce heavy bass but with control and accuracy all the same. I really love the sub-30Hz range, so something with a good low-end would be preferred as well. ;)

One thing I'm not sure of with what you said is the 15" sub needing more than 900-1200W RMS. I know you can run a 5kW RMS sub with 200W RMS and as long as you don't surpass the amp's capabilities and force it into clipping, then there's no problem, for example. I'll look up those subs though, should be a good starting point, and I totally agree about JL, but ya know how that goes, everyone raves on 'em so much, and they do have that unique style and "woosh" sound to them haha.

If anyone else has some ideas feel free to lemme in on 'em.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 713
alpine is great even tho its main stream.
15s can take more then rated, like the BTL HDC3 etc etc

Bronze Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 13
go with an fi q 15'' if you want the sql. you will get plenty of bass out of that, and you said you like the 30hz range so i would say a 15'' is best for you. just build a nice box for it. Really focus on building a nice box, or having someone build you one. its a waste if someone gets a nice sub and goes to best buy to get a box.
but yes alpine is amazing believe it or not, i love their amps. their type x's sound amazingly clean, but i dont think they make it in a 15'' just 10 and 12 but i could be wrong.

i really like dls for components but thats just me
but rainbow, cdt, focal, dynaudio are some other great speakers that make wonderful components.
or if your looking at spending big bucks i know morel is nice too

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5589
^^^^ Now that was a worthwhile post. Welcome to E, cwruck.

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10763
Hey I remember you!!! I remember a post where jonathan ripped you a new one! I think it was the walmart thread from about 4 years ago. well anyways welcome back man! lol

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4299
What model is your '99 Cherokee?

I wouldn't worry about the extra expense of a H.O. alt since your are not really going to be running any more than ~1200 wrms or so. I would look into a good AGM deep cycle battery under the hood.

The H.O. Alt for my '99 JGC was in the $500 range, but I'm running quite a bit more power than you are looking into...

Sub-
04/05 RE xxx
RD Sonance
FI Q
ID q or ID MAX
all good options over the JL
Whatever you decide on, be sure the enclosure is built to specs..

My Jeep has 6x9's in the front doors and 6.5's in rear doors with dash tweets. Make sure your positive about speaker sizes before purchase. good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us