Amp Question

Username: Sti

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 1
I'd like to say whats to the members of this forum, it is definatly one of the better forums on car audio. I was an old school audio fanatic, and im getting back into it. My question is Soundstream used to be on of the highly regarded names in amplification (D200's were awesome.) How good are there products now specifically the Van Gogh series.

Bronze Member
Username: Motoman22

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 85
SoundStream had it's glory days, they always had a great showing at the competetions. Not sure about the new stuff but for darn sure, Fosgate went down the poooper and I've hear the same about Phoenix Gold. Sad isn't it? I'm still clinging to my old Linear Power amps, you just can't buy them like that anymore.

Alpine's still good stuff, Clarion (pro audio) is dang good stuff, AudioBahn isn't bad at all considering it's maker (Mobile Authority) and Eclipse makes great head units. There are a bunch of new manufacturers that take it seriously and make great stuff. Ask Glasswolf, he's pretty knowledgeable about the newer stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3505
Soundstream, Orion, PPI, and many other high end companies were bough out by Directed, and production was moved overseas and quality fell to middle of the road at best.
RF is in a similar situation. Not great, but decent.

If you want a high end amp look at Arc Audio, Zapco, McIntosh, or Sinfoni
those are some of my favorites.
I still use old school first and second generation Orion SX series amps, myself.
a 2125SX, and three 2250SX models, along with a 300PRQ, 300PSW, 200CRX, and Concept 97.2
I also have two older Alpine 3339 EQs, a 3401 parametric, four Orion XTR3 15" subs, two old LE-12D Cerwin Vega 12" subs, a bunch of old Orion component mids and tweeters, and boxes of other stuff. Nothing like the good old days of PPI's Art series, and old RF and Orion.
Take a look at Zapco's competition series and SymbiLink processors.
www.zapco.com
amazingly good stuff with super clean balanced signal paths.

Username: Sti

Chicago, Illinois USA

Post Number: 2
Thnx for the info guys. I am looking at the reference series zapco, jl audio and us amps atm. I am leaning towards zapco. The competition series will put me over budget.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3524
The reference series are excellent amps as well.
you wouldn't be disappointed with them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us