Lights diming

Username: Cody12

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 1
i have a 2000 watt system and it is dimming my lights and making my voltage meter jump up and down when it hits i need help what should i do

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13094
Easy answer get a high output alternator for your vehicle with the largest idle amperage you can afford

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 2
well ya i knew i could do that but i am trying to to save money anything els i can do

Bronze Member
Username: Bookeeper

Louisiana

Post Number: 28
go with less power if you want to save money you would have done that but a bigger alternator is the answer yo n try a kinetek battery

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 3
no i haven't i don't know what that is i new to this kinda i mean i know how to do most of it all but i don't know what that is

Username: Freq

Wetaskiwin, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
Cody12, the cheapest thing to try first is to upgrade to a larger capacity battery. A weak battery will over-tax your alternator and not let it give you power to pound. If that fails, look at installing a capacitor, or a larger amp alternator.

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 4
OK so i should try a large battery first and a capacitor how big of a capacitor do u think i would need

Username: Freq

Wetaskiwin, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 4
What are you running for a system right now and what vehicle is it in?

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 5
ok i have 2 12 kicker comps a 1200 watt class a/b boss amp i also have 4 alpine type r door speakers 2 6 1/2 and 2 6X9s and a 800 watt boss class A/b ammp to power those. I drive a 1990 ford bronco it is all stock except for the systedm and a intake but i dont think that matters

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13177
Im going to try to save you heartache here so please listen. Another battery will not fix your problem. You need a high output alternator which shouldnt cost much more than a battery.

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 6
how high do you think i should go with that altenator

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 7
do u thing 140 amp would do it if i have the stock alternator on there right now and its doing what its doing

Bronze Member

Louisiana

Post Number: 32
yeah 140 cud help if you could go bigger go bigger than 140 i say the bigger you alternator the better you are also having good amp power wires and a efficient good quality amps to cause i dot know much about boss never used them before on your subs try a mono amp they work good and draw less current

Bronze Member

Louisiana

Post Number: 33
cody go to millionbuy.com and look up kinetek battery they have them and all kinds of stuff cheap i ordered from them got the best prices on the net and im about to order 4 6x9s a eclipse amp etc yo try them out they got what you need for less they have a kinetek battery that i will order later tho for $179 reg price $499 its 1500 watts i think also read up on crutchfield they got learn centers that show you how to set your system up right too

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13186
You would want to get one larger than a 140 amp.

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 8
so what like 200 amp would do it for good

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 9
what about a 10 fared capacitor that i have laying around the house would that help much

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13193
a 200 would do it for sure....the cap will just make things worse without the ho alt but add the capacitor if you do get an ho alt

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 4337
Ok. Alt powers everything while vehicle is on, alt charges batteries. Batteries, cap, amps all pull power from the alt. See where this is going? Anything you do as far as adding accessories that draw power will tax your alt, no way around it.

Read these.

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/charging.html

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/capacitors.html

http://bcae1.com/

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/index.html <-------read car audio sections.

Good learning there. Great sources of information that helped many, myself included, get a better understanding about car audio.

Clermont, Fl Usa

Post Number: 10
ok thanks man
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us