Home speakers on Car Amplifier

Username: Vin

Post Number: 2
Hello

If I connect two 100W RMS home speakers (8 ohm each) in parallel to a single 100W RMS output channel of a car (4 ohm) amplifier, then what maximum power will be provided to each of the speakers ? 50W? 100W? ..

(Also, if I connect two 100W RMS car speakers (4 ohm each) in series to a single 100W RMS output channel of home (8 ohm) amplifier, then what maximum power will be provided to each of the speakers ?)

If possible, please also provide brief explanations (in layman's terms!) ..

Thank You

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3471
if you place an 8 ohm speaker on each channel of a car amp rated for 100wRMS x 2 @ 4 ohms, you'd get 50 watts per speaker, approximately.
explanation: ohm's law. twice the load = half the impedance with a fixed voltage.

if you have an 8 ohm stable home audio amp (typical amp) and place a 4 ohm load on each channel, you'll put the amp into thermal protection, or burn out the amplifier. the amp isn't rated to accept a 4 ohm load, and it will draw too much current, producing too much heat trying to double the power output.

the "100 watts" rating on a speaker is only a thermal rating, which means that's how much power the speaker's voice coils can handle without being damaged. This in no way means the speakers require this much power to operate at peak output, and quite often will reach peak excursion long before they reach their Pmax, or max power handling.

http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=47.topic

Username: Vin

Post Number: 3
Thanks GlassWolf.

And if I connected 2 4-ohm speakers in SERIES to a SINGLE 100W RMS output channel of home (8 ohm) amplifier, then what maximum power will be provided to EACH of the speakers ?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a home amplifer which I'm not using at the moment, and can get car speakers for very low prices .. so I'm wondering what's the lowest rated power car speakers I should buy to use with the home amp. (For each channel of the home amp, I'm planning to connect 2 car speakers in series).

Many Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3481
in series you'd get 8 ohms
if the amp puts out 100w @ 8 ohms, each driver gets 50 watts for a 100 watt total output.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us