Adding a second amp: how to?

Bronze Member
Username: Goodstang

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 15
I have a Sony 800Watt Amp, 4-channel, powering my speakers. I just purchased a Sony 1200W Amp, 2-channel, to power my subwoofers (2x 12"). How do I go about wiring the two amps?

I've read a little bit about purchasing and using a "distributor"

What are my option:

1) I have 8gauge wire (with a 30Amp Fuse) coming from the battery to the current amp. Can I attach a distributor to this wire, then split two wires off, one to each amp.

2) Or do I have to switch to 4gauge wire, and connect that to the battery?

3) Or can I just purchase more 8gauge wire with its own amp, and send two positive wires from the battery, one to each amp?

Please don't diss my setup, I know Sony isn't the best stuff - but it's what I like for my car.

BTW - I use an optima yellow top battery - don't know if that matters for anything.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 170
1st of all what size fuses combined are in the amps. Thats the first thing and that will determine your fuse size at the battery.

2nd of all you need to replace that 8 gauge with 4 gauge.

3rd you will need two dist blocks. Go on ebay and look for dist blocks that have 1 0 gauge in and 3 4 gauge out. This will make it easier to connect all the wiring. The reason for two dist blocks is one for the power wire and one for the ground wire. Also it doesnt have to be a fused dist blocks just a norma dist block. Something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50550&item=5705558926&rd= 1.

4th depending on what guage size wire your amps will take you will run this out the other side of the dist blocks.

Hope I didnt confuse you.

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 171
Actually what is the rms wattage on those amps combine together.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3472
step 1: replace 8ga wire with 4ga wire from the battery.
step 2: near the amplifiers, place a distribution block (crutchfield, partsexpress, knukonceptz, etc) that takes one 4ga line in, and splits to 4 8ga lines out, and place a short run of 8ga line from the distro block to each amplifier.
step 3: ground both amps well to sanded bare metal chassis ground
step 4: splice the remote trigger to turn on both amps.
step 5: run your RCA lines from head unit to second amp.
step 6: wire the speakers to the amps.

all done.

Bronze Member

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 16
guys, thank you in advance. the tip about the four gauge wire from the battery was most helpful. i will purchase that along with the distributor, and ask any further questions when the pieces arrive.

as for davids comment/questions about the rms wattage on the 2 amps -- to tell the truth dont know, i have them out in the garage -- but if any problems arise when i get the parts, i will reply with more information.

Bronze Member

Long Island, NY USA

Post Number: 17
In case anyone has a question similar to mine, i found a 4 gauge dual amp wiring kit on ebay after heeding the above advice. the link is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5704974513

Its a Rockford Fosgate kit, comes with the pos/neg wires, pos/neg distributors, 36 ft. of speaker wire, and a few other thigs. Not bad for $48 + $14.95 shipping -- crutchfield wanted upwards of $80 for 4 gauge amp wiring kits.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3494
www.knukonceptz.com has 4ga dual amp kits as well.
good ones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us