Need quick advice!

Username: Onetimeuser

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys,

My name is Varun and I live in India. I have a tiny car but a big appetite for good sound.

What I've put in so far is a Pioneer DEH-4000UB CD MP3 USB Aux In Car Stereo 50Wx4 and I have boxes in the back that accommodate my 6 inch oval JBL GTO 937s and a pair of 4 inch JBL GT5-402s in the front.

My car is small, and the sound is sufficient, but I have a little spending money and I am considering putting in an amplifier to make the sound that much better. I'm sure people here on this forum will share my enthusiasm :-)

The question is, which amplifier? Anyone with any suggestions or advice, please get in touch with me on varunmukerji@gmail.com and tell me what you think.

Thanks and cheers!

Username: Chevykevy

ChicoUnited States

Post Number: 2
Keep in mind im no expert but I do have just a bit of an idea of what im talking about ;). Your new head unit will already provide a great improvement in volume and sound quality over a stock one, if this doesn't quite live up to your expectation get an amp by all means but have you considered adding a budget or low profile subwoofer to the mix?
what is your budget exactly?

Post Number: 2
I want to keep it to a minimum. Like I said before, I have pretty good sound right now but I KNOW it can be better and that's eating at me. I want to make one final investment to my sound so that I'm satisfied and happy with my audio situation.

So far that led me to believe I need an amp. I know I'm not being helpful but well, it isn't so much the budget I'm thinking of. It's the fact that I want to add only one more component to my system and I feel like an amp is the way to go. Won't a subwoofer take a lot of space and weigh too much? I have a really small car and don't want to be even more cramped for space.

I really appreciate the help.

Bronze Member
Username: Kdryden

Post Number: 77
Well the amp will just increase the volume coming from the speakers, your not really adding something to the sound, maybe some flexibility but it might not necessarily improve it, the sub will completely change the dynamic and no it doesnt have to be that big, they do make 6 inch and 8 inch subs, if youdont to go that route, and you really want to just change one component id try and find a way to get 6.5" in front instead of 4" it would take some custom work but 4" in the front is too small and your rear is probably really overpowering your front

Post Number: 3
Oh, it definitely is. See, initially I had put in the six inches at the back and they did me fine but then I came into some money so I thought I might distribute the sound better. That's when I bought the new deck too.

When you say 6.5 inches you mean a sub or new speakers? Is it simple to put those in? I didn't know subs came so small - in that case I don't mind buying an amp and a sub! (I just don't want it taking much space and I guess the amp just sitting under my seat appealed to me)

You're really helping me out here. I was under the impression an amp would make a big difference and the sub was just a subtle difference that makes sense if you have the cash to throw around.

ChicoUnited States

Post Number: 3
6.5 inch is a speaker size that would add good mid bass to the balance of your sound. You can choose from a pair of 2 way speakers which are basically a midbass speaker and tweeter combined into one or if your looking for a bit of an upgrade from that you can check out some component speakers that consist of a separate speaker and tweeter(i would recommend this option) You can find some great subs that are actually made to fit in very small enclosures to fit almost any situation. Id look into that

Username: Guile42

Manila, Main Philippines

Post Number: 5
i prefer pioneer amps and sony.

regards,
Cesar Anthony Villas
3500 Satellite Channels and Free Movie Guide

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
and some people relish in there mediocrity doesnt mean its a good thing.

right now Im assuming your 4inch speakers are mounted in the holes in the doors, if they are than to put 6.5 inch speakers you will have to cut the holes in the door to make it possible to fit the 6.5 inch speakers, but you have to careful if you do this because you need to make 199% sure that they fit before you decide to do this.

Second if you want to go with a sub and most of your setup is already JBL, makes an 8 inch sub and the the box would be 0.6cuft
which could be small, there are other companies like jl audio which make 6 inch subs but these are a bit pricey since they are jl audio but the box required is extremely small at 0.15cuft, there are also shallow mount subs which are very thin and can almost be installed anywhere. Another good thing about the all the subs i mentioned most of them dont require much power you could even get a 5 channel amp that could power 1 sub and all speakers, your adding more than one thing but it might benefit you in the long run if you do end up changing the speakers in front. IF you were to get better speakers in the front than you would probably need an amp for them and you would already be set with the 5channel.

One thing that would help us alot is to know what kind of car it is, so we can see what you can put where its hard when you cant see the car to place stuff in the car

Chico, CA United States

Post Number: 6
^^^ what he said.

A 5 channel amp may be a good way to go but IMO all you really need is that 8inch sub and a little budget amp.
a little more money will go along way in your case and i think you'd appreciate this improvement the most

I recently just got my hands on some RE audio woofers and im in love.
...with that said. They make a nice little entry level 8 inch sub that weighs about 6.2lbs and can mount in a sealed enclosure down to .3cu ft. You would get great sq going this route with a nice little 200watt subwoofer amp. These woofers run about $44 new on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/RE-AUDIO-RE-REX8D4-Incredible-Rejuvenating/dp/B002PNSNP4

Post Number: 4
I'm a little confused now.

My car is a Maruti 800 (Year 2000) mpfi 5-speed engine and I've had it for 2 and a half years now.

I'm willing to spend around a 100 dollars (US) in total (I had planned for less but with all these options you guys have thrown at me, I think an increment is in order)

I hope this helps. Write back with your ideas and better still, some instructions :P

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
I dont know what the cost of things are over there, but for the amount you gave, you could do the 8" sub but i think it might be out of your price range. Even if you went with idea for the amp for the speakers that might be out of your price range. Unfortunately 100$ doesnt buy you much today.

Post Number: 5
Hey Ken..

Thanks for the honesty. I've done a little in-market research here for myself and luckily enough, things here are cheaper than I expected. For example, this Sony 2 channel amp they were pointing me to was marked a 100$ on the website while the store guy asked me for 70$

What I'm getting at is that I can afford to look at more expensive hardware - India seems to be cheaper somehow, but I'd just rather not go over the top. I understand that chasing good audio is a no-compromise sort of concept, but I'm trying to make do with what I can afford here. Please try and keep that in mind.

Thanks for all the help in any case. Cheers!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
Well in that case look for an 8" sub (jbl) and a 200W rms monoblock (single channel) amp stay away from sony if possible

Post Number: 6
Brilliant. Thanks a lot for all the help and patience :-)

Goodbye!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us