Glasswolf i need some opinions.

Username: Smokeit

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 9
i have a 2000 honda civic and the batterry is like 410 cca. alternator is pretty small. i have a 1.25 cap and a directed 1100d mono amp. i was looking into getting an optima battery but the only gel battery made for my car is from interstate and it is a yellow top. so should i run a secondary battery in the trunk or get a bigger battery and place one battery in trunk and illiminate the front battery. ( im sure i would have to upgrade alternator) but does anybody see a wiring problem from this. also if i run this at a 4 ohm load it will only be 475 rms. is that my safest bet on this car or should i upgrade.

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 10
any body have suggest

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 200
If your alternator is too small then you have to get a bigger one. Adding a second battery will only let you play your system with the engine off for longer periods of time.

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 11
the thing is im not sure if my alternator is to small. it is a 75 amp

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 12
the amp is rated about 1072 rms at 1ohm load and 8o8 at 2 ohm load and about 476 at 4 ohm load. so i dont have any power windows but i do have an alarm. im woundering if this amp is gonna cause problems on my 75 amp alt.

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 13
not thinking about running it while car is off

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 519
It's too small. The amp alone will draw over 100 amps of current at full output. Even at a higher impedance, the amp will pull a good bit of current, remember that when impedance is dropped (say you're running at 2 ohms instead of 4) the voltage and current raise because of less resistance, so in essence, an amp running 475W at 4 ohms will pull more current than a comparable amp running 475 at 2 ohms. Alternator is the best bet, like Wahl said, batteries only help when the car is off. You also have to consider than even if that amp pulls 50-60 amps, you have to have enough reserve left to run the computer, ignition, power windows, lights, CD player, A/C or heater, etc.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 520
By the way, deep cycle batteries suck for starting cars. Cranking amps aren't a huge issue for starting a Honda 4-banger, but the only benefit of a deep cycle is additional amp-hours for when the alternator isn't charging (aka when the car is off). Stick with a wet cell and a good alternator for the best results and simplest wiring.

Bronze Member

Ft worth, Texas

Post Number: 14
does any one have that link to where i can get a better alternator for my car
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us