Spare Tire Box

Bronze Member
Username: Kdryden

Post Number: 57
Hi guys,

I use my trunk alot andwould like to have use of my trunk as much as possible. I got a idmax 12" sub and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions or have had any negative feedback with the idea of building a box to fit the spare wheel well. (ignoring the no spare wheel) Again i understand there can be a lot of variables and that if i do this it will have to be done in fiberglass. This is an sq setup and wondering if putting the sub in the wheel well will be bad for sq. The car is a Nissan Sentra

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Nobody has any input on this. I saw a few people who did it in other forums but they never discuss how it sounds? How difficult is it to work with fiberglass for someone who has never done it but is good with there hands.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21868
Glass is hard for beginners. It's almost an art. And hiding the sub in the wheel well will certainly affect the SQ in the cab. Although bass is non directional some will say you WILL hear the difference in your application.

Just curious, what Idmax sub do you have? Many are deep and won't work with a wheel well install.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
"hiding the sub in the wheel well will certainly affect the SQ in the cab"

So than for SQ purposes a regular sealed enclosure is better because of the shape of the box? are there some box shapes which are more SQ beneficial than others? Its the IDMAX 12D4 V3, its 8.5inch deep which i need to measure the depth of my spare tire well. I was thinking of creating the fiberglass enclosure and creating an mdf floor which i could carpet.

"Glass is hard for beginners" Whats the hardest part, making the perfect mix? applying? shaping? or all of the above?

Should I just

1) pay somebody to do it for me
2) build a regular enclosure
3) get somebody to build a "normal" enclosure out of fiberglass

Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4241
The IDMAX is a stellar sounding sub to begin with. You shouldn't need an unusual install to get great sound out of it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
I believe that, thats one of the reasons i was thinking to do a spare wheel well install but if I can hear the difference in sq in a negative way, i'd rather go with a regular box.

Maybe i should build an mdf box, and try a fibreglass front baffle?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 205
If you're just doing the one 12 and you want to go sealed, the box shouldnt take up too much room. Have someone (unless you're capable) build you a custom box that will fit snug in the corner of your trunk, or some other spot that will be out of the way. You may also look to get some sort of guard to cover the woofer so nothing can press up against it.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3452
If you just want it pretty then yeah, just build the front outta fiberglass. If you hit up fiberglassforums.com there is a guy there that makes MDF rings for subs and can even make a flush mount ring for it (great work) for your fiberglass work.

As for working with fiberglass, it isnt easy but IMO, its fun. Making whatever shape you want/need outta nothing is cool. Its worth a shot but I would suggest doing it on something you cant screw up for the first couple things you build.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
Thanks guys, i guess ill go with the regular box.

Just for curiosity, do you guys know how much a fiberglass wheel well job would cost in your area approx.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4246
$624.89

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
LOL I like how i said approx and somehow you got 624.89 LMAO

Im assuming thats how much you would charge?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4247
was just a rought estimate............... if I did fiberglass work! lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
Ya for that price i dont think it might be worth it, in all reality the difference in sound from a well made regular box compared to that of the fiberglass box cannot even be distinguished, and is probably not worth the 4-500$ in difference.
Thanks for the help guys once again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us