Box Build Log -- Mauricio & Charles

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5249
What's up guys, got two more boxes I am starting this week. One box will be for Charles for his FI Q 15 with a 6" aero @ 33hz and one will be for Mauricio's 2 10" sound q's sealed w/ a plexi window. I figured i would keep them both in one thread since i will be working on both of them at the same time. Below are the designs for both enclosures. I will update with pictures throughout.

There is a change in the below design for the fi Q 15, in the design it shows 3 3" aero's but i changed it to 1 6" aero instead.

Upload

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5250
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 350
im likin' the plexi glass window, but doesnt plexi glass change the way the sounds waves move or w.e.?

someone convinced me not to do a plexi glass box for that reason.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 199
i can't wait.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5251
No it does not Dom, if the whole box was made of plexi OR a whole baffle -- whether it be a side panel or front panel was all plexi it might but in this case it is a very small plexi window. As long as the plexi isn't small (smaller than a 1/2" thick) then it will be fine because of the lack of flex.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 192
You da man Dustin.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 351
ahhh, well it looks nice :-) happy building! haha

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5252
Thanks fellas.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15826
u sure are getting regular work these days

how about i rival u with a 1 12 RE MT build im doing now ...

designs look good

will post pics of mine soon .....

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 352
emailed you.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5253
ha. Sounds good Rovin. Is the MT build yours?

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Post Number: 695
I built a box similar to the one above only the one i did was ported.
It was for 4 Fusion Reactor 12s powered by a Fusion Powerplant 3000D. 6.8 cubes @ 35hz

It has a smaller plexi area and lights up green on the inside when the amp turns on.
Upload

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5254
Very similar except his it sealed. Looks good though.

Silver Member
Username: Mpinto19k

Colorado Springs/, CO

Post Number: 353
Wouldn't matter if there was sound change anyway because they are for my wife lol who wont know the difference either way haha

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15827
no the MT 12" belongs to a customer - its a box job im doing for him & he is going to power it with a atomic 3000D

of course i will test out the sub in box in my wagon when i build the box ...this is why i do it so i can get to hear different subs in my ride , getting paid is like a plus ....

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5255
I hear ya Rovin.

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 201
thats why dustin isent getting my sub, i wanna takes its virginity.

Gold Member

Box Designer & Builder...Dustin

Post Number: 5271
Alright guys, both the boxes are pretty close to being finished. just waiting on some carpet and the aero's. These pics were taken a couple days ago I have just been to busy to upload them, resize them etc. None of the boxes in the pics have been prepped yet. It's not much but i figured i would keep people updated. Most of the pics are of Mauricio's box, sorry charles... need to take more pics haha

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

3/4" :-)

Upload

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 226
that one pic looks like you shot at it

Gold Member

Post Number: 5273
Yep.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5274
I did.. with my countersink Bit

Gold Member

Post Number: 5276
Well i managed to get some pictures today of Charles 15" Q box and it's all done, sanded and has a 1/2" round-over on every edge of the box. You cannot feel a seam on the box. Just waiting on the carpet and aero's.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5157
Looks nice. What way did you decide on to seal the plexi to the box?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5277
The box above is for a 15" Q with 2 4" aero's (which im waiting for). The other box that im working on is having the plexi window... for the plexi I am using automotive weather stripping behind the plexi and screwing the plexi down into the weather stripping.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5159
this is the stuff Ive used.
Also by pre drilling the plexi holes a little larger then the screw shank, and using the finish washers to "clamp" the plexi down as opposed to using the screws to screw it down, then there is less chance for chipping and cracking the plexi.
Also I used this type of sealent. get it at HD or lowes. Its cheap. get the 1/4 wide x 3/8 thick. It compacts nicly and makes a good seal. It comes in negro or blanca, depending on what the inside lip is painted.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Post some pics of the plexi box when you get time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5279
Yep. I have done plexi boxes before. I am actually using that same weatherstripping but instead of a finished washer I will be using a #8 either chrome. or nickel plated sae washer with a nickel-plated round head screw.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5169
That sounds like a good idea. What kind of plexi are you using?
I have some Lexan kicking around that may be suitable for you. Its like a bronze smoked 13/32

Gold Member

Post Number: 5281
3/4" clear acrylic plexiglass

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 195
^^^^ youve got mail

Gold Member

Post Number: 5282
Replied

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15897
jobs are looking good BM3

i c u sand the edges down & router it just like me

yes carpet may hide any flaws but im sort of like that guy on usa MONK & i dont like to know imperfections are under there

i notice those screws are kinda far apart but i bet ur using a very strong glue so u dont as much screws ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 5283
Same here Rov :-)

And yes, the screws are usually 4-6" apart on the top/bottom baffle and 3-4 inches apart on the rest of the box. Titebond II doesn't fail :-)

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 5290
so UPS lost my shipment from parts express so i had to re-order the carpet, aero's etc yesterday. Should get everything here in a couple days. Until then i figured i would post up some pics. :-) Plexi box still needs to get puttied and sanded FYI

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 235
stop using my box as a table lol.

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 206
I got my money ready for you. Just let me know man.

Silver Member
Username: Mpinto19k

Colorado Springs/, CO

Post Number: 355
Lol charles!

Looks real good bassman!

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13260
looking pretty good

Gold Member

Post Number: 5293
As soon as these get shipped out Sean i'm ready to get it started for ya.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 647
Dustin,
The guy never emailed my brother back about the HCCA..

Gold Member

Post Number: 5295
It's cool man. Maybe he'll get another deal in the future :D i'll be around for a while

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 658
He's online lookin everyday lol he wants to step his game back up, about.. hmm 6 years ago was his last system. 1 Audiobahn Immortal, Prefab box, HUGE Visonik amp lol

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13265
I used to have an immortal 12 quad coil on an mtx 81000d.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 659
I like how it looks and its phucking huge too lol
I was going to buy 2 of them for 140.00 just to do it cause i havent heard them play in a long time but the guy ended up selling them before i hada chance to buy em.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5296
The immortals can get pretty loud, but they sound horrible imo.

Platinum Member

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 13274
Mine did have some sq issues but it wasnt that bad. Not that I would own one again.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 661
Let's all get some immortals!!!!!!! haha jk

Hey Dustin,
I talked to this dude about building me a box with yr specs and he said (before knowing what driver I choosed or how big the box is) that he has this program that can tell him how good a subwoofer will perform in the box before he builds it by typing the t/s in his lil program he has. Is he forreal or bullshitting me and wants to charge me more by saying he'll have to design a box cause ours won't work???

Also I told him Its a pretty big box and he said for a box that's 10cubes he usually charges 340 but he'll do it for 300. Is that an alright price? - ik our box is 8 cubes so it'll be a lol cheaper then 300

Another thing, Kenny has been bugging me to ask you this.. MTX makes a box for a dodge ram, it goes under the back seats and fits 2 10s. I haven't checked the box out yet but he said it's like factory plastic and fiberglass.. is the box going to perform
good or is it mostly designed for looks?? I think the subs and box is 300.00

-Thanks Dom

Gold Member

Post Number: 5297
Dom,

Your friend is most likely just talking about the program winISD where you can enter in the t/s parameters of the sub and you get you a curve on about how it would look (in simple terms). The problem with these programs is that they do not take into account cabin gain in the vehicle or any other gain adjustment. It also does not take into the lining of the box and does not include any voicecoil heating.. Win IPRO CAN include heating effects, wich increases resistance and thus damping.. and make the sub think it is in a larger box. Which is why these programs recommend alot larger of boxes than manufactures and but the tuning is usually the same (high in most cases). Yes, there are programs out there but the best thing to use in this case are just the manufacture specs + the knowledge of knowing how each size of sub would perform in a certain enclosure based on other people's and personal experiences. :-)

The best way IMO is to use your hand and brain and model is out. I use winISD's curve to get a general idea of how the box would look in the size of box. The box that i drew up for you would work fine, and that is the biggest size box that we could fit in the back of your cab, so there isn't anything he can do differently. So he, saying that the box design won't work is completely false (and you said he never even saw the design??? -- doesn't make sense).

The price although sounds about right. For 8 cubes i would usually charge around $250 + shipping.

The MTX box -- you would have to check the specs on the box and match it with what your sub's rec.

If that guy needs to talk to me my email is always open ;)

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 671
I didn't tell him the specs before getting a price-that's what I was saying. He said for 275.00 he can build it, he also said this;

"Ok, it looks good.. whoever designed the box for you did do a good job.. I ran it through my program with your subs just to make sure, and it is were it needs to be... I can start cutting as soon as I get a down payment on it.. let me know when you want to meet up,

I can do it for $275.. thats the best I can do... I just called up a shop to see how much that would cost, and they said 450... lol, I'm sure you've already done this, but yea, your saving about 200 bucks, not bad"

Gold Member

Post Number: 5298
Yes, shops charge an outrageous amount of money for boxes. Most local shops charge (for example) $250 more than what i would charge for an enclosure, which is why a lot of people do not have shops build their enclosures.

So $275 sounds pretty decent.

The price people charge also should reflect their craftsmanship and their effort that they put into the box. Have you seen previous work of his?

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 676
no build logs, but some pictures. ill post them and see what you think.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 677
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 5299
Looks pretty good. Im guessing he likes flames or something lol he must have a local hook-up who has a CNC so he could have those flames etc cut.

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 680
i guess, im not really feelin' the flames or whatever.. its a speaker box not a fireball lol wouldnt mind an AQ logo tho ;)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5301
That would be nice, you should see what he would charge for a cut-out of the AQ logo

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 690
i emailed him, no reply yet.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 423
"The price people charge also should reflect their craftsmanship and their effort that they put into the box."- Dustin

100% agreed

i got anyone who wants a box! pay for the wood and buy me a case of beer. the box will be tuned. not carpeted, made of plywood or whatever dresser i have that im not using, and i charge extra to vaccuum out the sawdust.

^ sarcasm.

Bronze Member
Username: Bookeeper

Louisiana

Post Number: 41
man um not a bass head but this some good stuff you doing i like your boxes too wish i could get you make me a rack set up enclosure for 4 6x9 2 12" and my 3 amps with all the lights and carpets colors but man i hope it goes well for i like people who do things like this with a passion

Bronze Member

Louisiana

Post Number: 42
i got question for yall because seem smart yall know about kinetik battery the 200 ho alternators etc i plan to get a 200 amp alt and a 1500 kinetik battery if i leave my regular battery underhood and mount my kinetik in the back of my suburban if i connect the kinetik to my power block and ground it to my body would it get charged thru my amps 4 guage power wire thats connected to the regular battery under the hood or who knows how i should run this if the kinetik cant fit under my hood i have a 98 chevy sub and currently running 2 batteries no isolater yet or can someone give me a site to go learn how to do this right

Gold Member

Post Number: 5303
I could do something like that picklemeat, have done that in the past.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4815
picklemeat, you can fit a khc1400 or odyssey pc1500 under the hood no problem.

Bronze Member

Louisiana

Post Number: 44
i saw where people had regular battery under the hood and kinetik600 in the back of the truck they said it stop the dimmin of their lights and allowed them to play the radio with the switch off for a long time if i get the 200ho alternator then that alternator shud give my batteries a good charge i shouldnt need the kinetik then or should i go with kinetik so that mean where my power block is take that loose and tie the kinetik to the end of the power wire and ground it and tie my power block to the kinetik positive and can i tie ground of kinetik to my amps grounds

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1146
boxes look great good job bassman

Gold Member

Post Number: 5307
Thanks Julian, i see your still browsing the forums. we used to kill the amp section lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 5309
Package came :-)

Upload
Upload

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 735
lookin' sexy man, all they had was black?
Red woulda been better ;)

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 736
did you make that wooden table and chair?

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 212
B3,Whenever your ready to build my box what do you think about making an amp rack of some sort for me to? Not realy exactly sure what i would want. Just something simple. What do you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5310
Dom -- you talking about the aero port? or the carpet? the aero's only come in black, and customer wanted black carpet. The other carpet is charcoal. and i didnt make the chair and table haha.

Sean, yeah, an amp rack would be fairly easy to construct. Once I'm ready ill send you and email and we'll get everything designed and sorted out :D

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 742
Yeah i was talking about the port, i like black carpet but red plastic(port) looks sweet with black carpet IMO

Gold Member

Post Number: 5311
Yea, i guess i could have painted it, but it is going in Mauricio's wife's car. Red/black are not really girly colors

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 743
black with pink?!

when is the box going to be carpeted? eger to see finished product.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5312
this weekend..

Silver Member

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 214
ok man,sounds good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5319
Both boxes are carpeted. will have pics tomorrow. It got too late tonight or else I would have put the plexi in :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5320
Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

BanginGMCArizona

Post Number: 766
Lookin' good like always Dustin.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5321
It's been raining the last two days so I cant get some nice looking pictures of them! Hopefully they will be up soon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us