Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 3250
Divide by 0

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21768
Why would you do this? HT? I think 11hz is the threshold for human hearing so at 12hz you wouldn't really "hear" it anyway.

Are you a seismologist looking for a toy lol?

Username: Qudio

Post Number: 2
I've been looking at that RE XXX 15 or 18.. 2 15s or 1 18? Lots of displacement!

Post Number: 3
Yes, it is for fun, but it also needs to sound good 20hz+

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15804
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range

so anything below 20hz u will FEEL not hear

are u going to be listening to the sounds of whales or something like that ? ...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21769
Well other than test tones and tracks in some movies there isn't a whole lot of music produced in that low a range. What do you plan on playing on it?

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 169
Are you just trying to shoot for "deep" bass?

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 895
Who makes that 32" sub?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21770

quote:

Specifically in humans, we have a maximum aural range of 12 Hz under ideal laboratory conditions[1] to 20,000 Hz in some individuals, but the range shrinks during our lifetime, usually beginning at around the age of 8 with the higher frequencies fading.

Dang I was 1 hz off.

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1325
a couple idmax's could probably do pretty well... I think they go down to about 5hz.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4201
Rule of thumb is 20 hz. for human hearing...

32" sub is made by Audiobahn . Atomic also makes a oversized sub...

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21774

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4257
That's Chad Lee btw^

Gold Member

Post Number: 4202
http://www.soundimage.dk/Different-col/Extreme.htm

Post Number: 4
I think I will go for a single XXX18 because of displacement. I am going to build a 'ported wall' in my Caravan, 13hz tuning.

I just need to find a good way to get 2000 watts to power it. Hopefully I can play some infrasonics and shake stuff with the windows open..

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 897
I remember reading a while back about. 21" or 22" sub or recone. Was it Fi or something

Post Number: 5
I would believe you are talking about the IB3 22" ? There might also be a BTL?

Quick math...

REXXX18" has 13Liter P-P displacement, all used with 2kW.

A single of those 22" drivers would have 9.7L of displacement, and I don't know how much power it would take to use it..

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3380
I'll take a liter of cola.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15808
18" xxx wud be sick to ur stomach low freq bass ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hey I have another concern that I haven't thought about.

What do I do to stop rattles?

I want to be able to turn it up and hear bass, not rattling. I want to be able to stand outside the car/van without hearing rattles, but also somewhat contain the bass inside so it is not heard as much outside until I open the windows.

Is that possible?

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 908
Lots of sound deadner and lock tight bolts. Its a lot of work

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 191
LOTS of deadener. and A LOT of time. oh and money too, a lot

and 2 15s would have more displacement than 1 18

as far as i know the BTL 22 won't be out for a while. correct me if i'm wrong

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1935
hmm, got the 21" Death penatly, or if you dare...warden....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I believe using 2 15s Vs 1 18 would gain 3dB in this situation.

Considering the cost would nearly double, and after hearing that extensively damping the car would cost a bit, I think I will stick with the single 18.

I've been looking at this amp
Rockford Fosgate 4000 watt

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15810
why wud u want to put a 4000wrms amp on a 2000wrms sub ?

imho : look for a good quality 2500wrms amp instead ....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I want the amp so that I can use it later on if I decide to change to a setup that needs more power.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15813
oh ok ...

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 913
Good plan. RF makes good amps imo. Very solid. Talk to me about the 21

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 914
Armykyle1@yahoo.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 4206
Wow dude... You are all over the place.. It don't sound like you know what you want.. Then when you get a logical recommendation (Rovins ) you reply with statement trying to sound like you know what you are talking about (3 db statement) while being completely off the mark..... Now you want to be able to hear the bass outside your car with the windows down with little rattle. But you are gonna tune your enclosure at a ridiculously low freq. , well below the what human ear can hear, just to play subsonic bass. Makes no sense. The subsonic bass will not be audible for the most part. so what are they gonna hear?.. It may look impressive (flex), but will sound like poo and will not be practical for normal music. Your F3 -3db roll off freq will likely be below normal musics range and in turn it wont be loud at all. Then you don't want to get too loud because you will have to use deadner. but you want to use an amp entirely too powerful for your setup "JIC".. The proper electrical upgrades prices will dwarf the cost of deadner..1st off the deeper the bass the more flex you will get.. Usually that make the quietest of vehicles rattle.. If it don't rattle at first, just keep doing it... It will rattle soon enough.. If you are ever gonna use this setup for regular music then drop the extremelhy low enclosure tuning and do tune it to the recommended freq. to get the best possible performance.. If that is done correctly, then you will still be able to play subsonic bass and rattle shiit off walls with plenty of flex and rattle less.. There is a reason that this setup is not ever seen or even asked about... My last setup played subsonic bass songs (ex Bass, I love you)well and the enclosure was tuned at 35 hz.. Still sounded great for normal music and still did well at competitions..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn3n5MkJWAM
subsonic bass
----------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKn9in3aN-U
less power and no deadner
--------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BynSXTkHCsU
same song but more power and deadner installed. The deadner helped a lot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Hi Mark

I know you are trying to help, but using EQ, I am betting I can get it to sound the same as a high tune (switch on/off for infrasonics) by measuring the response and applying the EQ accordingly.

I know the 3dB statement seemed to come from nowhere, but I did not feel like explaining how the T/S parameters scale from the 15 to the 18 (XXX drivers) so that 2 15s in the same enclosure volume as a single 18 happen to match up in sensitivity at low freqs, except the increased surface area of the 15s happens to be 1.414:1 compared with the 18, allowing a 3dB increase when the extra headroom is taken advantage of. The other thing I gain is a bit of sensitivity at high frequencies with 2 15s.

My whole idea here is to be able to play subsonic bass REALLY loud so it's not 'heard' outside as much, but rather shakes things inexplicably

One thing you have brought to my attention is that I have not measured the interior volume of my car/van.

You also reminded me that I need to think about what happens when I open the windows and how the acoustics work there..

The extra power in the amp was for JIC, but now it doesn't make as much sense as it did before, considering the circumstances.

I guess I need to do some cabin gain calculations to find what SPL I may be looking at here.. so far it looks like I may be looking at 150dB at 12hz (throws up)... but I think that is wildly optimistic.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7837
Ok...I didn't read this whole thread, but I did see where you want 150dB at 12hz.

Um...yea...ok.

We metered the van once at 20hz on only 6000w, did 149.x dB. That was 10 DD2515 in a 4th order wall.

150dB @ 12hz is insane. But you make look around online and try to dig up some SPL organization over in Europe. They have a class set up for different freq....15, 20, 25, and 30hz...iirc. Their are some guys doing crazy #'s at those freq, but they build strictly for that note.

Let me ask you this.
What is the loudest vehicle you have ever sat in?

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 916
So ur just wanting a lot of flex? That's a lot of money. You need to think of all the costs. Wiring deadner box electrical. I've been in vehicless that do 150s its sick. With lots of flex expect lots of broke stuff. I'm running 3 10s pushing 1700 to 2000watts. My trunk light broke. I've had to redo my trunk latch. My back deck is now held down with deck screws. More stuff keeps falling apart.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 417
whoa whoa whoa.

"My whole idea here is to be able to play subsonic bass REALLY loud so it's not 'heard' outside as much, but rather shakes things inexplicably "

so instead of being that guy that everyone gets annoyed at when pulling up at a stoplight b/c their music is so loud, YOU , on the other hand, want to be the guy who annoys people because everything is shaking, but you dont want them to know its you because they wont hear it?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21797
On my HT sub there are times during certain tracks in some movies where you don't hear the bass but feel it. You'll hear the glasses upstairs rattle or the pictures on the wall will shake slightly. That's intended and enhances the effect of HT. To get that effect in an automobile is a little confusing to me. Like I said earlier the notes you're looking for to get that subsonic signal simply aren't used in music. Just what are you going to be driving around playing? Low frequency test tones?????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Canaan, I didn't say I wanted 150dB, I just said that's what the numbers are saying.

I did a model up of 10DD2515, gave it 6000 watts at 20hz, and it gave me 147dB, that is believable.

I did the same thing with a XXX18 in the same airspace and it gave me 150dB at 12hz on 2000w. (linearteam website)

MisterLDR...well..yeah, plus the fun of being in the car with it..

Paul.. bast test CDs are something I like.. the ones that go really low.. plus they have tones too. Maybe a movie soundtrack...ha

I also doubt your sub is tuned to 12hz (more like 18 I bet), has more than 1000 watts, or is more than 10 cubic feet. The effect would be greatly increased in a car with cabin gain, quite a bit larger enclosure, and twice the power :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15818
i think i understand what ur trying to achieve & RE XXX is a great choice !

i have heard the older model 15" off 1000wrms & my eye balls were feeling the effect from those sick lows

have heard a new model 12" off a sundown 1500d & that was intense too

so i cud only imagine a 18" tuned 30hz or under how ridiculous it will be

u have to be wacko to want 2 18s but i understand some ppl really love that intense level

personally for me for daily use a single low tuned ported 12" idmax is enough ....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21799
I'm happy with my single 18".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Rovin, a single 18 will suit me..

Because of the enclosure size and large vas of the XXX, a second 18 would actually lose efficiency over 1!!

So I guess I will find a good 1600-2000w amp, do it, and call it good.

Interestingly enough, a single 12" idmax could achieve the same SPL as the 18" down to 30hz, the difference is that is it tuned much higher and is at xmax already with the same power. At 13hz, the 18 wins by 35dB...

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9509
Paul, we know you're happy with 4''! TEE HEE!

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3383
lmao.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3384
but there is no way in hell you will get 150 DB's at 12 Hz.

you willing to put money down on this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Snow, 150dB would only happen if the vehicle could hold all the sound without flexing. That said, I am still guessing at least 140

I guess we'll find out..

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 306
When will we find out?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
May be a month right now :-(

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 310

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

Portage, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2600
not only do i want to shoot myself for wasting my time on this thread i also believe i got dumber

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

If youre going to give...

Post Number: 1505
i have 10 bucks that says this kid never gets anything he is talking about.

:-)

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 313
ill match tht 10 bucks :-)

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 925
I'd love to run a 18. I wanna pull some hair tricks

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11769
"I'll take a liter of cola."

Ummm, do we have liter cola?

Just get a large Farva.

I don't want a large Farva, I want a goddddamn liter of cola.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 328
i can say moo, for 20 bucks i'll call the guy a chicken fvcker (easy rod easy rod easy rod easy rod) license and registration chicken fvcker BAKAWK!

Silver Member

Ms Us

Post Number: 928
"I was playing ping pong in ding dang"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us