Audio newbie: Best subs and amp for under $600?

Username: Channy

Post Number: 1
Hi so I have yet to really look into car audio, so you could call me car audio illiterate.

I was wondering what would be some good subs I could buy for $500. I was looking into dual 12in subs...I don't know what brand I should get though. I'm looking for some hard hitting subs that will rattle my car; I listen to mostly Drum n Bass so subs that can hit the lower frequencies hard is a must.

Oh and if you guys could suggest some amps that'd be helpful as well.

Yeah, so if you guys could just give me some recommendations in that price range it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9501
What is your maximum budget? Keep in mind that a box will cost you to have one built to suit your subs whether you build it or not. It's not just about the best subs and amp for X amount of money.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 168
You can get decent subs and an amp in a $600 price range. You also need to consider the price of a box as mentioned, the head unit, all wires, etc. Do you already have the essentials? You can read the many posts on here about different subs/amps and get an idea of what is good/bad. Depending upon what you want will depend on the subs to get. Drum and bass is more quicker type bass if I'm correct so you may want to do a sealed box. A solid amp choice would be an AQ1200D and for subs look into Fi car audio or maybe even some alpine type Rs. But you have many choices..

Post Number: 2
Hmm how do these rockfords look to you guys? I was reading the reviews for them and it seems like they are pretty good subs for $350.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16339_Rockford+Fosgate+P2L-2X12.html

Silver Member
Username: 2000fordranger

La

Post Number: 103
well, if you look at the wattage both subs together is only 500 RMS which means its not alotta watts going to em. Rockford's are also alot easier to blow then alot more brands. These guys on here got me hooked on Resonant Engineering (RE). They're amazing for what you get and I also got the AQ1200d. The subs that you picked out aren't the loudest or the best but they sound decent just won't handle alot of power. Audioque's sub line is pretty good too.....that would make it a 1 stop shop.....get a AQ1200d + 2 SDC2.5 that should make you pleased. That puts that sub and amp combo at $510 give you 90 bucks to find you a box....or put more money for you to buy/build a custom box...........I have a prefab box and thats the one mistake I wish I woulda done is build my own....its ok though cause ill be getting another one soon enough.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the helps guys, I'm learning a lot quick!

Oh just a little side note, I'm driving a BMW 318ti. It's a small coupe hatchback.

Are there any good online sites you'd recommend to look at for brands such as RE, Audioque, and Fi?
And if 500 RMS isn't considered a lot of watts, then what is?

Silver Member
Username: 2000fordranger

La

Post Number: 105
http://www.youtube.com/user/meade916?blend=1&ob=4

but seriously, 500 RMS isnt alot when your talking about decent bass on 2 12" subs. Now if you were just powering 1 sub then it would be but 2 is just not enough for pounding bass. You can go up to about 1500 rms before you have to upgrade electrical and everything. The best place to get RE is ebay there just about the cheapest and the only place to get audioque is www.audioque.com. Since im pretty new to the audio business I do not know where to get the FI but one thing about it Ecoustics has got me hooked and isnt letting me go anytime soon.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3737
I have 2 brand new in box RD Audio Sonance V.2 12s for $200 shipped...

Heres the link to the thread.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/611061.html

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4205
D@mn Jake... That's a hellofa deal.. Those Sonance's will hang with or out preform the above mentioned subs.. 1200 -1500 wrms would be ideal... $450 for subs and AQ1200 leaves a decent amount left for proper enclosure.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 173
www.ficaraudio.com

Username: Broeseker

Post Number: 3
yeah the RE's are pretty dope. my friend had xxx 12 dual 2 ohm with a memphis amp in a q4 and it hit so hard i still have not heard a 12 inch sub hit like that in a long time

Username: Broeseker

Post Number: 4
but that whole set up ran him about $2500 when it was all said and done

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15809
u want BOTH subs & a amp for 500 or subs alone for 500 ? ....

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 172
Lots of good recommendations here Channy. Re, RD, Fi and even the AQ line of subs are all good choices. Definately put as much effort into your enclosure as you are for the subs and amp. Bassman3 on here can make you one for a good price if youre not looking to make your own.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2899
I'd go with Jake's 2 RD resonance, they have a very wide frequency range. 2 of them on an AQ1200D would be a very nice setup for the price!

http://www.audioque.com

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12974
I would also go with jake papas subs and a audioque 1200d amp

Bronze Member
Username: Drbizerk

Okc, Ok U.s.

Post Number: 15
if you can find one of the JBL BP 1200.1 or BP 600.1. these korean amps are cheap and way underrated. ask anyone thats owned either one and you'll see
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us