Subs not nearly loud enough

Username: Sneakyjester

Missouri America

Post Number: 1
Hello, I just obtained two 1200w 12" sony xplod subs and a 800w xplod amp, I wired everything today (I have a 2000 mitsubishi eclipse) according to this guide: everything2.com/title/How+to+install+subwoofers+in+your+car. I have an alpine CDE-9874 head unit. The problem I'm having is that the subs aren't nearly loud enough, I actually can't tell if they're hitting unless I put my hand on them, even when I max out the amp and put the bass and sub levels to max on my head unit. I really don't know what I did wrong, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 851
If the subs are moving a lot but not making sound you prolly wired one backwards. Just swap the wires over on one of the terminals. But sell that junk lol

Missouri America

Post Number: 2
the subs aren't moving much is the problem, I'll check the wiring anyways though, and while they may not be the best, they were a gift and I don't have the money right now to upgrade them. Thanks anyways.

-edit- they're actually 1300w, but I doubt that makes much of a difference.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15797
yes i too bet that u have 1 of them wired wrong ...

Username: Boomboomboom

New Zealand

Post Number: 10
Here's a good site with wiring examples to use as a reference when wiring your subs:

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10893
What you did wrong is bought sony subs. Truth.

Bronze Member
Username: Boomboomboom

New Zealand

Post Number: 11
If the sub is a 4 ohm single voice coil model (likely if it's a standard Sony sub with 1300 watts max output)... something like the Sony 12" model XSL126P5B... then you'll hook up two of them like shown in the link below with a two channel amp (I'm assuming your amp is a two channel Sony amp something like the model XMZR1252.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2SVC_4-ohm_2ch.jpg

It's a pretty straight forward setup with single voice coil subs and a two channel amp. One channel per sub.

Those subs will be underpowered by that amp most likely. You'd be just as well off bridging the amp channels and running all the power to one sub. Like this diagram:

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1SVC_4-ohm_2ch.jpg

Try both ways and see which sounds better to you.

Missouri America

Post Number: 3
Like I said they were a gift, so if you're going to tell me I bought terrible subs (-edit- apparently bad words aren't allowed here) off. I switched the wiring and that made it worse, so I switched it back. You're all going to think I'm retarded, but I trusted my friend knew how to set-up an amp, when I told him to blast it he actually turned it all the way down. Thanks for the help though, and I'll try bridging to one to see if it's any better, but either way I have a lot more bass than without them, so I'm happy.

Silver Member
Username: Armykyle1

Ms Us

Post Number: 866
Check your fiters. You could have freqs too low or too high.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15800
if the wiring is correct check deck & amp filters to see if they are set properly

then look at what Darren M is saying

if that doesnt work then it has to be a not so hot box ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us