Alpine vs JL

azn10809er
I'm new to car audio so i really dont know anything about it. I heard some of my friends talking about the JL w7 or the Alpine type-r's. I need some advice on which subs to get. I'm thinking of getting 1 JL w7 with a 1000 watt amp, or 4 alpine type-r's, hooked up to 2 500 watt amps. I need some advice on which ones have better sound quality, loudness, and which would be best overall.

teflondog
the w7 sub is directed more towards spl so if you want to shake the ground, then get it. the type r's are more accurate and have a nice bass too, but they don't hit deep low notes as well as the w7. personally, i favor the w7 because its construction is far superior than the type r. however, i think a couple of type r's will boom more than just one single w7 if you're running the same wattage.

future_integra
The JL W7 is not a spl sub its an SQ sub that happens to get very loud I would recomend you get the W7 if you have the money for it, 4 type Rs might be around the same price as one w7 but the w7 is better in every way in that set up except maybe spl but it will still be plenty loud.

Anonymous

definately. the w7's are far superior to any sub on the market. build quality, sound quality, spl, everything. even if you dont want tons of base, get an 8 or 10w7 and keep the gain low. i recommend these to everyone.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 222
The W7 and Type-R aren't in the same class.
You're comparing a $160 Alpine sub to a $470 JL.
The 13W7 with a JL 1000/1 in a *well-made* braced and reinforced 3/4" MDF enclosure, properly vented, should give you both SQ and SPL in one nice package.

In any event, be sure your car's electrical system is prepared to handle 1Kw of power.
That's over 100A of current draw from the sub amp alone, before you add in the other amplifier(s) you'll need for mids/highs so they'll keep up.

Username: Hydro

Post Number: 41
I would put an Adire Audio Brahma against one of them W7's

Post Number: 227
yeah, Adire Brahma, Onyx LSM12v2, 12W7, RE triple X. (crappy word filter won't let me call the subs by their actual name.. heh)
There are quite a few good high end subs, but I didn't know what he was willing to spend on that setup.
The 13W7 is pretty sweet with that 32mm Xmax, one-way.

Anonymous

Four subs will always hit harder than one. I don't care what you are running. But, it is true that the w7 will hit lower and cleaner. You might want to look into getting the phoenix gold TI's. Four of them will cost less than the JL and hit better than the Alpines.

Username: Ukw10

Post Number: 42
4 alpine will hit clean and has better sound quality. JL just hits hard and that is it so I recommend to get 4 alpine.

Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 31
yo guys what do u think of the IDMAX12? i personally think its way up there with JL, Onyx, adire and RE

Post Number: 583
great stuff, too. yes.

Post Number: 585
great stuff, too. yes.

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 26
Speaking of which, another concern for most people looking for a good system is costs. Remember that list of bad, moderate and recommended? Well there should be a list of the costs. Can't really compare JL with Alpine coz they're not in the same class. They should have ratings such as Cat A, Cat B, Cat C, Cat D. Kinda like car mods (Level 1, Level 2 etc). Cat A can be the crap, Cat B can be budget, Cat C would be Moderate(Heheh) and Cat D would be Flawless. Hehehe.

Post Number: 822
better off just giving a budget range when you ask about something.
prices change pretty often, new stuff comes out all the time, and many companies, even JL, offer products in a very wide range of prices.
a 12W0 is $125. a 12W7 is $800.
both are JL.

I wrote the good/bad list so people would stop constantly asking "is this any good? what about this brand?"
the list is there to help. not to tell you what to buy. you can think for yourself on that one.

if you want the up to date actual list where that earlier list was pasted from, see here:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

my personal opinion is that I look for good products first, price second.
If it's expensive, I wait and save for it. I don't compromise and buy some crap product "until I can afford something better" so I don't pay that much attention to budget products.
If you're poor, maybe getting a job would help that or maybe reconsider your priorities. car audio isn't a cheap hobby. it never has been and as always, you get what ya pay for in the end.

I'm sure I just pissed off a whole load of people but I'm just sharing my thoughts. If you disagree, that's entirely your right and I don't take it personally.

peace

Post Number: 823
I guess I just don't have the time or interest to spend another day or two writing up a list of things based on price and cross-referencing that to the good/bad list.
The other thing is if I did that, I would get the same list of complaints from everybody about how they disagree with this item or that one being where it is on the list, and I get tired of hearing that, frankly.
the original list is there as a guide to help if there's a product you're not familiar with and want to check before spending money. that's all.
It's not set in stone, and I am always re-arranging the list as my opinions change on certain companies.

honestly a lot of that list is already split by price anyway haha
almost all of the crap list is dirt cheap flea market quality and priced companies.
almost all of the highly recommended list is in the mid to high proced range, and for good reason.
It's built well, backed well, and it'll not only perform well, but will perform well for years to come. Buying any product ends up that way though, if its a television, a car, or a house.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us