Fuse questions

Bronze Member
Username: Imagedynamics214

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 11
i have been learning alot about car audio but one question i still have is, say if my amp has 2 50 amp fuses in it, should i run a 100 amp fuse in the fuse box or a 50? does the amps on the fuse matter when it comes to the fuse box? or would it take away from my system is my fuse isnt big enough??

thanks

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 2009
fuse for the wire size - check out the link below:

http://bcae1.com/

scroll down to #14

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4241
This^

And remember whenever you change wire size, you need to add another fuse for that wire.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4174
amp fuse is for protecting the amp
External Fuses save you from burning your car up if there is a short.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10875
As stated fuse is determined by size of the wire nothing else.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 13
thanks thanks.

i have another question for my buddy.

he has 8 gauge power wire 8 gauge ground he is thinking about buying the zx750.1 but since his sub (10" cvx) is 600 rms at a 4 OHM LOAD and he will only be getting 375rms out of the amp (which does 375rms at 4ohms) will he need to upgrade his wiring to a thicker guage?

i thought he would only have to upgrade his wiring if he ran the amp at 2 ohms (750rms)?? am i right??

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3017
if that amp is ran at 2ohm it would be too much for the sub. i'm assuming it takes 4awg, so thats what you would if you were to do so. i don't understand why you would purchase that amp to run at a higher impendance either...

Gold Member

Post Number: 4178
the CVX is 600 wrms no matter what load you have your sub wire too.. i'm assuming it is dual 2 ohm vc.. Find an amp that does around 500-750 wrms at 1 or 4 ohm.

either way I would upgrade to at least 4 ga. power and ground for a mono amp.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 127
people use 8 gauge still? and why is he running the sub under rms? i would go to 4 gauge and try a diff am maybe.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 15
well he's a cheapskate and he just told me he is getting the amp for free and he's not into car audio like me so he doesnt understand the whole 375 @ 4 ohm load thing. He just wants to know if he hooks if up to the 8 guage wiring will it be ok and will it be a sound improvement over the zx300 (150 @ 4) he has now?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4179
Truthfully, he would not likely have any problems with the 8 ga. and it would be louder with the zx750.1.. IMO, that setup would be ghetto, half-azzed, and ignorant..

possible solution,
have him sell the zx750.1 and zx300.1. Use that money for a budget amp that does ~600-800 wrms @ 1 ohm. then kick in a few bux with the leftover amp money for the 4 ga wire.

if he wants better sounds than his current setup, then he should do it properly and at least get the best possible sound for the equipment he wants to run. That amp/ sub combo is not an ideal match.. if the sub was dual 4 ohm then it would be perfect.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 129
depends on the 8 ga i have seen some 8 ga thats as thick as some 4 ga, and some 8 ga thinner then twisting 2 strans of speaker wire to geather.
other wise i agree with post above.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us