Which subs should i get?

Username: Whatmh5

Post Number: 2
I could use some help on getting the best sub or subs for under 500. Im thinking possibly 2 type r's but I know there are MANY other options. What do you think i should get as a setup? I just want the sub/subs under 500, im thinking a JL 1000.1 amp. I already have an alpine head unit along with alpine type r speakers all around.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11761
Have you bought the JL 1000/1 yet? Cause there are better amps out there for the money that you're paying for that thing. Good amp, yes, but very overpriced. What's your total budget for subs and amp? Are you looking more for SQ or SPL? How much room do we have to work with for the box?

Post Number: 4
I haven't bought the amp yet, I just read a lot about it being good. Total budget, probably 600 or 700. Im looking for a sub/subs that are about in the middle for SQ and SPL. I also have plenty of room...I have an impala ls

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11762
First off, welcome to the forum bud.

Secondly, that budget is pretty good to work with. I'd stay away from that JL amp. Nothing bad about it and the regulated power supply is sweet but it's not worth the money.

Some companies I'd recommend for amps that would be in your price range would be Sundown, AudioQue, Kicker ZX series, JBL Crown series (BPX), and Alpine PDX line. Others like Mmats, Audison, and DLS may be a bit pricey for you depending on the subs you go with.

Companies you could look at potentially for subs are Fi Car Audio, Incriminator Audio, Sound Splinter, DC Sound Lab, AudioQue, and Digital Designs. List can be bigger, I'm just tired.

Start here with these companies and take a look and see what you see. After looking around on their sites, post back what you like and we can go from there and tell you more about it.

Post Number: 5
thanks! haha

Yeah, that is definately the most i will spend. I would very much like to spend 400-500, but I MAY spend more...

So you wouldn't recommend alpine/JL subwoofers? these subwoofer companies listed provide more "bang for your buck" ?

thankyou for the help!

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11763
The Type R isn't bad for the money but with you're budget, you can get better and I'd recommend to get away from the mainstream brands. With JL, you're paying for the name. Their equipment is quality and I can't knock it but with the money you'd be paying to run JL stuff, you can get much better stuff with the companies I listed above.

Post Number: 6
alright. once again, thankyou. I really like Fi, DC audio, and Digital Designs....

Now more research....

Post Number: 7
By the way,

Im sorta a noob.

I definately don't know how to build a box, but i would definately try. I have the tools to do it; would it be less expensive to build your own instead of buying one?

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11764
Without a doubt. Please don't buy a box. The box is going to be one of the most important pieces of your system. A crap box will yield a poor performance from your sub(s). Once you figure out the sub and amp you want, we'll help you design a good box. Building it will be easy to do and we can help you with that too. If you find you can't build one, it's possible a member on here who is close by can do it for a small charge. Keep researching and let us know what you think bud.

Post Number: 8
Ok, I'll try to keep you updated.

Post Number: 9
out of the Fi, DC audio, and DD's, which sub should i get in the 400-600 Wrms range?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5208
Yep. Like Yanks said, the enclosure one of if not THE most important aspects in a car audio system. I design enclosures and i could do one for ya if you wanna shoot me an email

as far as the sub, none of the FI's subs i would give below 800 rms to be honest. So you might need to cancel them out. For DC you can check out the lvl 2 or 3. and for DD i would check out the 500 series or better yet the 1500 series.

And welcome to the forum!

Post Number: 10
Ill email you about boxes

thanks!

I feel like i can get a lot of information from this forum from people who actually know what they're doing!!

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5213
that's what were here for man.

Username: Tweezy79

Chatham, Il

Post Number: 2
as far as the sub, none of the FI's subs i would give below 800 rms to be honest. So you might need to cancel them out. For DC you can check out the lvl 2 or 3. and for DD i would check out the 500 series or better yet the 1500 series.

Just to let yall know, I am a newbie, but have some experience with installing car stereo equipment

Bassman 3. I recently read your post and was wondering why you would not go with the FI sub? I hear they are really good for low bass and have read good feedback on their company. The only reason why I ask is because I am looking to buy a 10 inch FI BL and have a local stereo store build me a box for under the back seat of my Ford F150 supercrew.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SoCal

Post Number: 3059
Matt, if you dont mind buying used sub's. Look into the older RE SE model.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 124
i think he is saying that because the more powerful amp might off set the cost of a good sub.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15783
how about http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=22 a pair of SDC & a 1200d ...

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11766
"Just to let yall know, I am a newbie, but have some experience with installing car stereo equipment

Bassman 3. I recently read your post and was wondering why you would not go with the FI sub? I hear they are really good for low bass and have read good feedback on their company. The only reason why I ask is because I am looking to buy a 10 inch FI BL and have a local stereo store build me a box for under the back seat of my Ford F150 supercrew."

He's saying it based off the RMS rating of the subs. He is not knocking Fi products at all. Fi makes great subs and is a great company. He's just merely saying that based on the power range and number of subs Matt is looking for (2 subs off around 1000rms total), Fi doesn't offer what other companies offer because their "lowest" level sub is rated at 800rms but loves 1000rms. Two of those off 1000rms is just a waste when he could take two 400-600rms subs from another company and run them off 1000-1200rms and really get his moneys worth out of his subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Wow, alot of dicussion. haha

Yeah, I was planning on buying 2 subs in the 400-600 rms range and feeding them 800-1200.

I'm really hooked on the level 3 DC 12's...

Platinum Member

Northern VA

Post Number: 11767
They are pretty beefy looking subs. I personally haven't heard them but a lot of people have put up good numbers with DC's other subs. I think they would probably be a good fit for what you want bud. Take a look around and see if you can find any reviews on them. Google "Sound Solution Audio Forum" and go to the SSA site and see if they have more info on the Level 3's. SSA is the forum for a couple companies and DC Sound Lab is one of them so they should have more info on the subs for you.

Username: Tweezy79

Chatham, Il

Post Number: 7
You guys have any opinions on mmats subs. I have heard the dreadnaut and that thing beats. Im thinking about getting two 2.5's in a ported box for an enclosure for under my backseat of my Ford F150 Supercrew.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us