Help! First Stereo

Username: Noobie

Post Number: 1
Hey guys. i need some help. I'm sixteen, and about to get my first car. a 1998 Dodge Dakota 2 Door. I have been collecting components for a while now and was wondering if i need anything else to have an excellent sounding system. Also if there are any pointers you could give me for the install. Or a site you could point me too. Thanks

I have...
Head Unit: Alpine CDA-105
Mid Speakers: 2 Rockford Fosgate P1653 6.5 in 3 way
Subwoofers: 2 Rockford Fosgate HE2 12 in
Amplifiers: MTX RT2200x, Jensen XA2250.

Thanks for all the help. Im just trying to get some beats into my car without the $$$$ professional install.

Also will post hyperlinks to components if needed.

Thanks}

Username: Steadyupgrading

Evansville, IN Usa

Post Number: 7
Man,if your goin for low cost that gets the job done,a stinger wiring kit should get ya by. If your lookin for quality,spring the cash for a rockford fosgate wiring kit,they own. Sound dampening material under the carpet in your hatch is always nice too. FatMat is really decent stuff and ALOT cheaper than Dynamat. As for just about anything you would need to know about installation and details,go to www.crutchfield.com. There is a huge section devoted to front to back install education. Have fun!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10871
Thats all decent starter equipment except the jensen amp, don't even touch it, not worth the effort to even install it. Its that much crap.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 281
Don't even bother with FatMat, you want to put good sound dampin mat on the first time, it's not something you want to take off after putting on.

Few Tips;

Be sure to get a custom build box so you'll get the most out of your equipment.

Run the RCAs on the opposite side of the power wire.

Don't get a cheap amp kit.
------------

Is your truck the RT or Sport?

Post Number: 7
Uhm im pretty sure its the sport. 1998 dodge dakota. i was thinking about trying to sell my subs n the jensen amp so i could get a pair of 10 or 12 inch alpine type r's and a audiobahn amp to run them. do you think this would be a better idea?

Post Number: 8
Im also trying to figure out what type of box i should put in and where. figuring it is a regular cab truck. i have read a lot of bad things about the shallow mount subs so i dont want those. do you think i should take out the middle seat? what should i do for them?

Gold Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 1160
the sports have a cab in a half type deal my dad has one same year. so you have about enough room to build about a 4.5 to a 5 cubic foot box with out blocking your view out the back windows. the type r's would e alot better then the fosgates. now heres another question what type of music do you listen to..... then we can help with box plans

Post Number: 10
Well in the back of my mind I was thinking about doing a ported blow through box. I mainly listen to rap and hip hop. About ninety percent of the time.

Gold Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 1161
then you want a ported box im not to frimilar with boxs for trucks i mainly run trunk cars so for the poort fcing and everything someone else wil have to help you out there i might be wrong with the cab so i would just make two different plans so you have a fall back plan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I believe that if I do a blow thru box it will basically be the same as a trunk box. Correct? And I was wondering if we could continue this conversation thru email. This is hard to do on a cellular device.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 282
A blow through is when you have the box in the bed of your truck and you cut a hole in the back wall of your cab and front wall of your bed. I don't know if you knew that. It takes alot of work, I'm in the process of starting mine.

I own a 99 dodge dakota RT and the ext cab is pretty large but I have not seen the inside of a sport.

You totally should get the type r's instead!!

I see alot of audiobahn amps at car shows, mainly cause the flames on the amps, but for proformance I do not know. Why do you like them?

But about the box, in my gmc s15 (ext cab) I have a rectangle box, it's not a truck box so the car/truck/suv doesn't determain what type of box you use, the type of box is decided on the amount of space.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Yea well unfortunately as of right now all I have is a car a stereo and time. No license as of now. I am prepared to spend the time amking a nice blow thru box. I like the audiobahn amps becuz they have a lot of power, are reasonably priced and also the specs look good. Things like the THD and such. If I decide to do the blow thru space will be no problem. Should I do a sealed or ported box for a set of alpines. Assuming I get them. If not what shud I use with the set of RF I have now?

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 284
For the Type R's I would do ported, only do a blow thru if you are going to go hard. Two Type R's aren't worth it and you'll be just as happy with a slot port box tuned to 32hz. In my gmc I have the Type R's firing upword same with the port and it sound the best in that position, I tried having em facing the back wall, back of the seat, etc but with them facing up is the best.

You say you only have a car stero but you say you have a set of RFs? (confusing)

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5202
for 2 type r's i would not waste the time doing a blow through. A blow through is only necessary when you cannot fit a big enough box into the cab of the truck. If you need a design for a ported box, hit me up through email Noobie. I can get ya one + an exact cut-list. email is in profile.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10874
Those RFs are good subs and will perform as good as the Rs would... you will gain nothing by switching if you keep the same power.

People around here really need to stop talking about stuff you don't know about. Yea ben and dom i'm lookin at you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
do you think there is gonna be enough room behind a regular size truck to build a box for 2 12 in subs? And I am sure the RFs are as nice as the alpines. But I bougtht the RFs used. They are about three years old. And I might have found someone to buy them for enough to buy a brand new set of the rs. Sorry for the confusion. I have the head unit, door speakers, the rfs and a crappy amp. I know I gotta buy a new one.

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5203
Yeah, Those RF's are pretty nice for what they are... But if you wanted to switch the R's are a good choice. The HE2's sound good when you give them around 300-400 rms, and neither of your current amps would give them enough power..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I know that the jensen amp i have is complete garbage. i am planning on using the MTX amp to power my speakers. someone mentioned an upward pointing box. ported or sealed? and does anyone have any suggestions for an amp that will put out about 500 rms to two subs? that was i can use it with either the RFs or Alpines?

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5205
Pdx 1000.1 if you wanted to go all alpine

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
personally i dont care about whether or not it is all alpine. i only have an alpine head unit because i got them as a gift and i was looking into the subwoofers because people have said theyre nice and are within my price range.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 292
M.S. he mentioned he was thinking about going with the type r's I simply suggested he should, cause I know they are good.

By me not mentioning the RFs once implied i don't know much about those subs.

It was his idea to think of switching subwoofers not mine so I would apreciate it if you don't call me out as if I was feeding him horrible information.

As he said, "i was looking into the subwoofers because people have said theyre nice and are within my price range." I'm just makin the choise easier for him by also suggesting he switch, no one likes to be in a pickle.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 293
Aq 1200 would be a nice match.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
hmmm. 1 or 2 of those amps?

... the AQ1200s?

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 294
http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=26

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Do any of you have an experience with the kicker L5s? any good? worth is?

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5206
okay let's start here:

What is your budget? -- And remember, you get what you pay for in car audio, so its worth it to save up until you have the cash to spend on something nice.

What kind of sound are you looking for? -- spl (get really loud) or sq (sound quality)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Well...

Right now ive got bout 200 bucks. not much. but i wanna sell the RFs.
Tryin to get bout 200 for those.
N ill have another 100 inna few weeks.

So about 500 total.
and i want it to be really loud. but at the same time not sound like complete sh!t

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5207
Okay. There are multiple ways you can go with this. Check out companies like

Audioque
FI car audio
RD audio
Sound solutions audio

check them those companies and the speakers that are in your price range. You can go with 1 15" with one of these companies in a good box/install and it would out perform alot of the mainstream subs on the market,

OR

you can just stick with R's. Nice budget drivers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Any words of wisdom about the DC sound labs?

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5211
not really, all their drivers are nice. fine one within your price range and wattage range.

Gold Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1102
i have heard great things from DC

just maybe spending more then $500 for the whole setup?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
qI am speaking with somebody right now about them. I am going to be able to get a 12 in lvl 3 and an alpine sub to run iot for just under 500

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5212
^^ no. You don't want to run different subs. Keep it all the same.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Well i meant to say an alpine amp. not an alpine sub. is this okay?

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1104
yeah maybe. what the VC on the sub and whats the amp ratting?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I believe the sub has a dual 2 ohm voice coil and the amp is rated for 500 w rms x 1 x 2 ohms

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1105
ok good on the sub! and i take it the alpine is 2Ohm stable so wont work with the sub. you need an amp that is 1Ohm stable.

i'd look in to

Sundown 1000.1
DAT1000.1
RD1000.1
Atomic1000.1
AQ1000.1
Mmats600.1
Mmats1000.1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
i am so confused. so if the sub is a dual 2 ohm i need a 1 ohm amp? and if the sub is a dual 4 ohm i need a 2 ohm amp?

Gold Member

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5214
Noobie,

Yes, depending on what configuration the subs are (dual 2 or 4) and depending on how many you are running, you can wire them differently (the subs) for a certain "load" on the amp. Play around with this. go to the12volt.com then go to woofer wiring on the left side.

for example 2 dual 4 ohm subs, can be wired to a 1or 4 ohm load on the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
what are the advantages and disadvantages of either the parallel or series wiring?

Gold Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 1107
well its what ever your planing say like your wanting to get a sub that's dual 2ohm so you need an amp that can be wired to 1ohm.

ok say later on you want to add another sub "same make, model, and ohm" now you have two dual 2ohm sub's now you have to make sure you amp can be wired down to .5ohm load.

its all about how your going to wire your sub(s) up.

best thing is to read and learn about ohm and how they can be wired up. go to the12volt.com like Bassman3 and play around with it

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 126
wireing is one of the most fun parts, hahah. think of it like this, series is the voice coil + the other voice coil aka 2+2=4. and parallel is subtracting aka 2-2=1 well the "math" my is flawed but it works its eather gonna dubble or half.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us