Which sub to choose? Alpine or JL Audio?

Username: Arcelivez

Post Number: 1
Hello,

OK, I have a
hifonics txi4008 amp
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11201_Hifonics+TXi+4008.html
and now I'm searching for a sub. I'm thinking of the following subs:
JL Audio 13W1v2-4
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_15652_JL_Audio_13W1v2-4.aspx
and the Alpine SWS-1223D
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWS1223/Alpine-SWS-1223D.html

So what do you guys think? What are your suggestions? I am a noob, so explain me. And what about my amp, if I understand correctly it can produce 400 wats rms when bridged? Or is there some kind of hook somewhere?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5501
Definately go with the Type R, but not that one -- this one:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4243_Alpine+SWR-1222D+-TYPE+R-.html

You need a dual 2ohm sub wired in series like the diagram below to get the 4ohm load that your amp needs in bridged mono. On 400RMS the Type R will do pretty well.

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10867
^^^ This

But that amp is not going to produce the power it claims...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/542894.html

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 271
I don't know if you have enough money to do what I'm about to say.. here it goes lol.

Hifonics isn't rated at what it's stated lol even though it says X amount it's not, it's acually over rated by a lot.

And those drivers aren't the best.. personally I don't think it would even be worth buying them.

Now as Brad said suggested the Alpine Type R (1242D or 1222D) is a great driver for the price (120.00 eBay)
(I own 2)

The amp you have now will leave the Type R starving for power each time you play it. (which isn't good)

Now if you get the Type R and are in need of a decent cheap amp go on eBay and search for a Kicker 1.750

Now I know the Type R is 500rms and the Kicker amp is 750 watts BUT don't worry, the Type R is a strong son of a gun, it'll do just fine.

If you do get that kicker amp get the 2ohm Type R!

Now it's time to talk about a box, you know those boxes you see at audio stores and best buy that look bad ace, built perfectly, carpeted great, well those boxes SUCK! You DO NOT want those, you'll need to build your own box! The reason i say that is 'cause every driver is different from eachother and they move different amounts of air at different times, this is why I said you MUST build a custom box built to match the driver you buy. I don't know if you are good with wood building or not.. but you get 3/4 MDF wood from home depot and they will cut your wood to the measurements you give them, all you will need to do is glue the pieces together and counter sink (pre-drill) the hole and screw the screws in space the nails apart by like 4-3 inches apart using drywall screws. (I'm sure you know how to glue and drill)

A lot of people can help you with the demensions of the box, it will be ported and tuned to 32hz (if you like bass)

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21703

quote:

The amp you have now will leave the Type R starving for power each time you play it. (which isn't good)

Let's start with this one lol. Why isn't it good? As long as you're smart with the gain and BB you CAN'T harm a driver by under powering it, only under achieve its' potential.

And unless you're at least a semi accomplished car audio head I wouldn't recommend feeding any driver more than its' stated power specs, for warranty purposes. You'll wind up yet another party story for the dealer you (try) to return it to should it fail. If you trust your judgment and knowledge of the subject then no worries, right?

Hey merry Christmas!

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 273
I wasn't saying it's not good as in it'll damage it I'm saying it's not good 'cause you won't be getting the full potential of the audio equpiment he bought.. and who would want that?

People power certant drivers a couple hundred rms all the time, the type r is built like a f*kin brick house I'm sure it'll be fine.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21704
Just be careful advising someone who claims to be a noob that running a driver 50% past its' rated power is no problem. That goes with ANY driver. If it's your $$ then spend away. Someone else's is easier to play with isn't it lol?

It would be like telling someone it's ok to drive 25 mph over the speed limit down a twisty road they've never traveled. The car may handle it but is it good advice?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5199
^^ i agree. If it was your equipment, that's a different story. But the fact is is that most "noobs" -- if you want to call them that, don't know how to set their amp correctly in the first place, i.e the gain. so if they don't know how to set their gain (usually use it as a volume knob) and are overpowering their drivers, they will run into a big problem. :D

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 274
I know what you're saying Paul but it's only 250 more rms and I know from my own experience that the type r should do fine if the instal is done correctly, if the amp was more powerfully then 750 I woulnt recomend it. :-)

Post Number: 2
Nice answers, guys, thanks :-) but hmm, I don't think I have enough money for the type R Alpine, that's why i'm considering between that JL and Alpine S Class. :/

Yeah if I had more money I would buy the R class Alpine sub and a better amp and so on. Hmm, so if Hifonics is overrated for rms power ratings, maybe it's bettter to choose that JL Audio 13W1v2-4 , because it has lower rms and it's JL Audio, so the quality is not that bad, the price isn't too low, but probably almost the max what I can afford right now, since it costs actually more than that Alpine S class sub.

And about the box, yeah I'm actually planning to get it built by poeple who build sub boxes. :-) Cause yeah, I've heard it might be worth it, even though it costs a little more.

So the way I see it the Alpine type s aint good, the JL Audio sub might be a good choice, cause my amp is overrated, and the alpine type r, maybe I could afford it, but I would surely not have the money for a new amp(And yeah amps with that much power cost a lot as much I know), so it would remain underpowered and that would suck too much, It wouldn't play loud/clear/accurate right? So I might have to go for JL?

What do you guys say? :-)

Post Number: 3
:D Hmm, or could the underpowered type R alpine sub Brad mentioned play better than that well powered JL Audio sub?

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 275
Hahah well I would jump on this RIGHT NOW before someone on this thread steals it lol use the amp you have for now then later sell that amp and buy a better one

http://iphone.ebay.com/Pages/ViewItem.aspx?aid=260525448743&emvcc=0

Read the descrip before buying!
I'm on my iPhone so I cannot really Chek it out

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 277
How much are you getting charged for those people building you a box?

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5502
Wait... what? The Type R in the link I posted is 20 bucks cheaper than both the subs you posted, and ships free. And yes, the Type R will have better output level-wise. The W7 is a good SQ sub but the Type R will handle way more power and will hit harder. Just a much beefier driver all around.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21705

quote:

I know what you're saying Paul but it's only 250 more rms

Lol. In my day my subs only had 300 watts rms total. That was split between 2 12" Kenwood subs in my own box.

God what you kids have over what we had back in the day.......

Times they do a change lol.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21706
I want a do over!!!!

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 278
"hahaha" Paul that sh!t made me laugh.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5508
I was running JBL concert 15's with 1200RMS each wayyyy back. What you talkin' Paul

It wasn't as popular as it is now, but there were alot of us running Clarion Pro Audio decks with Zapco amps running high 140's. And I remember the old Fosgate team van when it was at my friends shop. Thing had eight of the old school Power 15's with 16 amps bridged on each coil. That thing hit like you wouldn't believe. Kicked like a drunken mule, and lifted the wiper blades like 2". That was when I got my first Bass Mekanik cd from one of the Rockford guys. This was before anyone had it, the very first cd. And lol, I took it home and I think almost everyone in my neighborhood fried some coils with that thing. Still to this day that first Mekanik cd Max Killa Hertz hasn't been topped in any huge way.

The problem back then was the prices. We were paying like a grand a pop for the Zapco's and the Team RF stuff that was around was high dollar too. And the decks were insane overpriced, people were using Nakamich's and the high end Clarions and they were $600+. Nowadays you can do it right for 1/3 of the cost but I really don't think the quality has improved much. In alot of cases it has gone down.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21708
I rode with a guy in a monte carlo with a box in his trunk with 750w.

I swore on my future kids it was the loudest I ever heard, or will ever hear.

It's called evolution. Just like TV, internet and cell phones.

We all are in for a world of shit soon.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 279
Arturas have you made a decision?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 5200
oh how right you are paul...

and Arturas, I can build you a box or design it for you if your interested.

Post Number: 4
Thanks again for all the answers. :-)

Naaah, I'm not sure yet, but I'm affraid if I go with the type R Alpine, I might go too much, I will have to invest more and more money into that, so basically audio equipment will exceed the value of my car. ;D So I'm asking myself if it is really necessary for me to put so much into sound, since I am not planning taking a part in any audio competition. And I don't have much money to spend away. :-)

And about the box building, uhm, well you see Bassman3, that would be nice, but I'm from Lithuania, which is about in the middle of Europe and any transportation of heavy items is too expensive, so I will just have to use some of the local offers. :-) But thanks for the offer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us