3 Problems with Kicker Amp and Fi Subs

Username: Xaceofspades999x

Post Number: 2
So i recently bought a Kicker ZX 750.1 amp off of craigslist and bought 2 12" Fi X-Series from my friend in a custom ported down fire box. I hooked everything up using my 8 gauge kit i had from my last set of subs and everything is wired to 4 ohms...

Problem 1:
I noticed that when i play the subs at a certain volume (appx. 21-25) on my alpine deck then the subs stop hitting for a second and it sounds like my amp loses power but my friend and i watched the light on the amp and it says a constant green.

Problem 2:
I have another problem though it could be related that when i play my subs even at low volume i notice that the bass seems as if i were changing the volume up and down. So it hits hard for like a min and for about 15-30 sec after that it sounds as if i lowered the volume and then goes back up to sounding loud again.

Problem 3:
I was driving last night to a bar and so i had my volume down looking for a parking spot and noticed that when i hit a bump on the road the subs would hit for a sec. It sounded like a loud and quick popping sound. Like a quick hit of a note. I was so confused on what the problem was so i just used my kill switch to cut the power to stop the random hitting.

I checked all my wiring and the only thing is there is a small splice in my remote wire but i covered it with electrical tape but i don't think that could cause these problems from my knowledge. I do plan to replace the remote wire soon but just haven't had a chance since i've been working so much.

The remote wire is also wired to the fuse box in my car and so im wondering if this is the reason why it is doing this though my old subs and amp played off of it fine.

The box for the subs doesn't fit my car exactly where i want so im gonna get a new one or build one later but i have the amp laying on the ground so im just wondering if its possible that the vibrations from the subs hitting so hard is causing one or all of these problems.

If anyone has had this problem or knows what this might be or how to fix it please let me know bc this is getting really frustrating having all these problems and driving around. Thnx guys...

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4165
It wouldn't be your remote wire if your power lightstays on on the amp.. Re-check wiring to the subs with a dmm. check voltage at amp speaker terminals then compare with readings from sub wire connections. Also check ground on the amp as well as the RCA cables. Make sure the setting are correct on your HU as well.
If you are going with a sealed box you can probably get away with a prefab as long as it is the correct size for the subs that you are using

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4166
also check resistance of V.C.'s with a DMM (ohm).. if one of your voice coils are bad and have an etremely low or high resistance, then the amp could cut out due to the ohm load it is seeing..

Post Number: 3
ok thnx mark ill try that as soon as i get a chance.

Silver Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 106
your alt could be on its way out.

Post Number: 5
could be but not too sure... i have an 02 4runner so its not a small alt but could be.

I did just take apart the wiring and noticed that the remote wire only had two strands left all the way through the hole. the rest had been cut i guess from the screw and the amp sliding in the back of my car so i re-stripped the wire and now i have the amp zip-tied to some loops in the back of the car.

Hopefully it shouldn't give me anymore problems. I think its bc my remote wire is the shortest wire and so it was sliding and putting stress on the remote wire itself (tearing the strands).

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2890
Try a different set of rca's.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Giggidy, GA USA

Post Number: 2653
Need to bump up to 4 gauge as well. Check ground, RCA's, and make sure connections are tight on moofaz.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 268
Is it making the bump sound as it would if the rcas hit eachother before you hook it into the h/u?

Off Subject - I have my amp on the ground too, but you can build a little amp rack about half a foot high using mdf wood so the bumpy roads don't take a beating to your amp.

Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 155
It sounds like a power issue. Either the amp itself or as mentioned an Alt problem or battery issue.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1878
sounds like a bad ground or a bad set or rca's

My buddys system used to hit every time he closed his doors or trunk even when the car was off due to a bad ground.

My system cuts in and out all the time because my rca cable is shot and im to lazy to gut my car to replace it lol. maybe when it warms back up in upstate ny in 9 months lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us