Off topic - Xbox live help

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3733
Hey I keep getting booted off of Xbox live when playing games... It will work fine for 5-10 min then lose all connection and kick me out of the game.

I have a netgear dg834g router and have opened ports 88 and 3074 already but i still keep getting booted.

I'm trying to play COD Modern Warfare 2 and its extremely frustrating. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1439
I would think its your service man. If anything call your provider and tell them the problem your having. They should at least send someone down to take a look. They can runs scans that will tell the your internet speed every so long and it goes back months. Other then that maybe its your router. you could always try going straight from the modem to your console and if the problem stops you found your problem, modems also are common to go bad after a year or so.

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3734
I called the internet company, which was horrible by the way, and they said that someone would need to come out and look at it. She also mentioned that it is a $99.95 charge for the tech to set it up to my xbox with only a 5 day warranty. Complete BS...

Im probably going to switch to cable modem and be done with it. Is 10mbps enough or should I go with the 20mbps? Its a $15 a month difference so I would rather stay with the lower one.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12925
Try updating your firmware in the router that may fix it.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2999
i have 8meg, plays great for me. i usually end up hosting. i'd definitely go with the cable modem over the built in dsl, pretty sure that will solve any problem.

Gold Member

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3735
"Try updating your firmware in the router that may fix it."

Not sure how to do this... explain/link?

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Giggidy, GA USA

Post Number: 2646
Firewall in the router is probably what it is. I had netgear and it was the biggest POS router. It made everything difficult. Throw it in the yard and grab a linksys :-) My issues were solved doing this haha.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5485
Jake you need to open your NAT (Network Address Translation)

Here is how:

Step 1: Get your Xbox 360's IP address from the system blade and choose network settings. Then edit settings should show your Xbox's IP.

Step 2: Go into your routers configuration window thru Internet Explorer. In the address bar type in your routers IP address. It should be default at 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1. When you're prompted for a password you have found it =P. If you haven't changed it the username and password should both be admin, and admin.

Step 3: USING DMZ When you enter into your router config window, you need to find the Tab DMZ, it should be under applications and gaming if you are using Linksys. Once you find the DMZ tab, click enable and type in the last digits of your XBOX into the box below.
MAKE SURE YOU SAVE SETTINGS

Step 4:Using Port Fowarding After you have enabled DMZ, find the Port Fowarding tab, should be under advanced routing. For the name type in XBL or whatever you want, and for port range put 87 to 89, choose UDP, then your XBOX last digits, and enable. Then do 3073 to 3075 choose TCP, then your XBOX last digits, and enable. Then again do 3073 to 3075 choose UDP, then your XBOX last digits, and enable.

Step 5:Using UPnP This is just incase. Go into UPnP fowarding and enter in the same stuff you did for Step 4.

Step 6: Now logout of your router config. Unplug your router and modem from the power, then plug in the router 1st, wait 30 seconds. Then plug in the modem and wait at least 2 minutes. If you don't do these hard restarts it might not work!

Step 7: Restart your Xbox and go to the system blade, choose network settings, then test connection. This may take a bit, but when it gets down to NAT type it should say OPEN.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4232
Those are a lot of steps... I've had a problem like this a while ago. The easiest way I found to fix it was to assign the 360 a static IP address outside the DHCP server range and add it to the DMZ. That way the 360 has a complete open connection and will ensure an open NAT.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10848
" Is 10mbps enough or should I go with the 20mbps? "

10 mbps download rate is more than enough for 99% of users, and definetly enough for online gaming, as long as the upload rate is decent as well.

Gold Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 1440
i remember playing xbl with a 5 mb connection and it was plenty so 10 should be more then enough.

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 413
^ my ex brother in law is on the geek squad and he once went to a house that had an xbox(origional) computer laptop AND ps2 online and said that they had 13mbps and was astounded because aparently thats really really good. so i think 10 is fine.

gamertag= misterLDR

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 257
"I have a netgear dg834g router"

there's your prob..

I don't care what anyone says linksys is the brand to go with.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10862
There is nothing wrong with netgear. Pretty much all consumer grade home routers made these days have the same features.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 261
I usually don't argue with people but I have to disagree.

Netgear, dynex, and all other low-end brands like those are worthless. As I said before linksys is the way to go. Ask any major gamer and they will tell you what I am saying is true.

Plus the customer service for netgear is like a muddy boot.

Netgear is like an 18inch Pyle subwoofer XD

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 263
I usually don't argue with people but I have to disagree.

Netgear, dynex, and all other low-end brands like those are worthless. As I said before linksys is the way to go. Ask any major gamer and they will tell you what I am saying is true.

Plus the customer service for netgear is like a muddy boot.

Netgear is like an 18inch Pyle subwoofer XD

Gamertag - Aero810

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3008
i still think its the built in dsl router...

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10866
Dude, nice try but I've been around this stuff for quite a while and work in I.T. on a daily basis... netgear is one of the top brands of home networking equipment and has been for quite a while, along with d-link, and linksys, and maybe some other i don't recall off the top of my head. It is true that linksys has always been considered a top brand, but any modern home router from netgear or d-link is going to have the same features and same capabilities. The linksys of today is not actually the linksys of the past either, they are now made by cisco which used to only make business grade equipment, but they should continue to be a good quality brand since cisco is. Now you're right "dynex" and the like, all those other off brands that have come around in recent years are crap. But netgear is not in that category.

Now thats the home networking world. Business grade stuff is another story. Cisco is the undisputed leader here, they are the standard that everyone else follows. But there are a whole bunch of other brands that make good quality equipment as well, netgear being one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us