2 12" infnti reference subs

Silver Member
Username: Rds2oo8

MN

Post Number: 322
i need an amp for them, their 300rms 600 watts max i belive i had a 1000watt qlogic amp giving them power til it gave out last night, the green light doesnt go on anymore and ive tightened all the wires and nothing, and im not gona take it into best buy and have them charge me 60 dollars to look at it.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10826
2 or 4 ohm, single or dual coil... need to know that before you can choose an amp

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15745
model number ?....

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 323
its 4ohm and has daul voice coils, the model number is 1252w

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10831
In that case you need an amp thats 600w+ at 1 ohm

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 324
so ill need a monoblock amp correct?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5475
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7560_Orion+HCCA-D1200.html

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1992
id rather get the AQ1200 for $14 more

double the power for $14

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15757
^ for the $ id agree ...

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 325
yeah once i get a cc im gona buy a aq1200 but for right now i gotta buy off craigslist or at retail store like bb but there sh1t is way overpriced 500 dollars for an alpine amp ha

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1993
i wouldnt do that man. youre going to waste your money

im sure audioque will take a money order or something like that. You will save money and get a nice amp.

just call audioique and see what payment options they have

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5476
An AQ1200 for two Infinity References? LOL, but you guys are the experts.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1994
im not saying im an expert - i know the AQ is too much for the references

this gives him room to expand if need be. its just a better value for $14 more

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15758
i was feeling lazy to type but i didnt expect we even needed to explained that ....

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10839
" this gives him room to expand if need be. its just a better value for $14 more "

Exactly this. There is no such thing as too much amplifier power, you don't have to use it all, and some amount of headroom is always ideal.

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5479
So, you guys recommend a 600 watt RMS amp (per sub in his config) to a guy that, judging from his current equipment, probably doesn't know how to set amp gains -- for subs that Infinity recommends between 100-300 watts RMS for because they are very efficient (93dB) ? I have installed and heard a few of these Infinity subs, and trust me they don't want 600RMS or anywhere near that, especially in the hands of someone that doesn't have alot of experience setting gains. Do not confuse this line with the Perfects, they are in a totally different league. And MS, I hope that last sentence wasn't directed at me.

Gold Member

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1996
im not confusing the subs. i know its too much power for the references......im just saying - it is a better value to buy the AQ for $14 more. it gives twice the amount of power for an upgrade down the road.....

if he doesnt know how to set gains, then he could just as easily blow those subs with clipped signals from the orion

for $14 extra, and double the power - it would be stupid to not get the AQ

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15759
all the guy has to do is set the gain lower than it needs to be or put it on its lowest point & if his deck has it : also lower the sub level

but hey if he can find another good quality amp thats closer to the recommended 600wrms @ 1ohm at around the same price like the AQ (& is not planning to upgrade in the near future) then by all means go right ahead ...

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10842
Brad, I was just agreeing with rovin and daniel, not trying to say that orion amp wouldn't be a good choice, it would be. I know infinity subs are highly efficient, and they sound pretty darn good too, i've only heard the prefects but i was impressed by them. And i do have to agree also that if the guy doesnt know how to get a gain he is just as likely or more likely to cause damage with a lower power amp. When people blow speakers clipping is the cause 90% of the time...

But it is my opinion that having more amplifier power than needed is a good thing... if you don't agree i would like to know why? I know you and rovin don't get along but i think we can have an intelligent discussion here

Gold Member

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5484
I didn't disagree, I said "I hope that sentence wasn't directed at me" like you were trying to tell me something I didn't already know. Using much more power than needed is mostly applicable to pro audio where the speaker components are extremely heavy duty and the resulting headroom is absolutely critical. Multiple unpredictable (the musicians can at any time raise their amplifier gains feeding to the mics) and transient inputs from the mixers places an extremely difficult load on the power amps, and for any given show it is essential to have more power than needed to prevent clipping. This is one of the reasons that compression and limiting are used in every professional pro audio system. Using far too much power on a borderline entry level product such as the Infinity's is asking for trouble, especially in the hands of a novice.

I don't have any problem with Rovin other than he is very annoying with the ghetto way he types, which he has said is because he uses his phone to post here.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15762
Like I said a few times b4 (before) , its a common thing to type shorthand 4 (for) internet purposes & (and) ppl (people) still easily understand it

There are ppl who type far worst than me . When asked what is the voice coil configuration they reply "their 4ohms subs" which is supposed to mean "they are 4ohm subs" & other examples too . Their grammar & spelling is also bad but I do not say anything.

I am not trying to look like 'cool' as though I am from the 'ghetto' & I am not nor do i desire to be.

Looks like I will have to spend more time to type properly so I would not be thought of as being a illiterate"person ...

Silver Member
Username: Wackzirth88

K-town, Il U.S.

Post Number: 222
Wat if he just wired them to 4 ohm load. Doesn't that amp do like 500 rms at 4. Then if he does upgrade he already has the amp to do it with

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10864
That would be a really good idea actually... at 4 ohm there should be less distortion and better DF from the amp also, although it's usually not noticable, but the amp will be more efficient.

Now why didn't i think of that sooner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us