Air movement

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 408
ok.

subs move air.
is it the excursion that moves it, the sound waves produced, a combination of both?

and everyone knows if you light a cig (or weed to some of our regs ;] that smoke will move.

question is, say you put a 12" keeker in an SUV (blazer, durango, expedition, etc) and you can see your smoke "vibrating" maybe a centimeter away from where the smoke would normally be moving back and forth.

then you put 4 15" FI BLs in that same vehicle. more air moved, right? so would the smoke be displaced even further than it normally would if it were with no music.

and further more, if this theory is right (why shouldnt it be?) can anyone here make smoke movefrom point A (6" to the left of where smoke would normally rise) to point B (6" to the right of where the smoke would normally rise)?

i just think that would be cool seeing how smoke seems to "vibrate" with small amounts of SPL and then to see smoke "teleport" (optical illusion of course) over a foot because of so much air being moved.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2207
"is it the excursion that moves it, the sound waves produced, a combination of both? "

the excursion makes the sound. sound is compression of air. think of it like when u have a long chain on the ground and u whip it. the chain will make a ripple role down the chain. hope that makes sense
but the air is like the chain... it just has smoke in it. the lower the note the more of a distance the compression. spl is sound pressure level. so its more compression

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1317
As far as I know the distance smoke will move from sound is based of the frequency of the sound. Loudness just adds force to the waves.

The best way to see the effect is to put a drink in you car and see the waves in the water. Low notes are longer waves, high notes are faster short waves. The louder the music is the taller the waves get.

Yeah, You would need a very low note and it would have to be loud(so that it would have the force to move the smoke) to make it move a foot. Think of the videos of atomic bombs. They displace a lot of air(and whatever else is in the way) and then because the air has been pushed out there is a vacuum which pulls the air back.

I think I said what I wanted to. If not I'm going to blame it on me experimenting with sound and smoke in my car

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 560
i hate having to turn down the music everytime i want to light a smoke because the lighter wont work at high volumes lol

Silver Member

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 410
^ agreed.

"" Loudness just adds force to the waves. ""

ok so then my theory is correct then?

""Yeah, You would need a very low note and ...loud... to make it move a foot.... displace a lot of air...and then because the air has been pushed out there is a vacuum which pulls the air back. ""

sounds like a good project.....*hint*

ok so i get it the lower the note the more air is moving, regaurdless. i guess i never broke it down like that. so you'd need something rediculously loud at a very low note to do what im talking about?

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2227
it doesn't have to be really low. this is not a new thing... have u ever had a phy class?

Silver Member

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 411
nope.

i understand its not new. i understood for the most part about air movement and everything that was explained to me, ive just been wonddering for awhile is all...

like obviously the louder something is the more air that is being displaced, right?

and if notes are lower they're moving motre air as well? so a really loud really low note should move a LOT of air?

Gold Member

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2230
i don't think lower notes move more air. from the classes i have had they move the same amount.
but it sure does seem like low notes do. i think its because its pushing and pulling slower so you can really feel it and the objects usually resinate at lower notes

Silver Member

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 412
^ makes sense. so higher notes move air faster(which creates the high, right?) and low notes move air slower(lows?)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us