Very nub'ish question

Username: Marcantony

Home of ladies, State of girls USA

Post Number: 1
I hate to even ask this here b/c I am sure for you guys it's an old, dead-horse subject. But I just bought a new vehicle (2007 Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited, HEMI V8) and it has a nice head-unit/gps, as well as a fairly quality sound system (Bouston Accoustics). But the bass response is.......beyond terribad.

I'm 10years out of HS, but in HS I had 3 different vehicles and decked each of em out with $2-4k sound systems. They always hit very hard (I had 3 JLw6 10s in a in a Lexus SC at one point and a Kicker 18 in my 4-Runner), but my primary interest has always been SQ, not SPL. Don't get me wrong lol -- I do enjoy me some SPL from time to time, however. I mean duh...I had 2 solo-barics in a bandpass in one vehicle as well as a Kicker 18" in the 4-Runner.

But since then, I've grown up a bit and am working with a tighter budget than back in those days (well....just using my own $ now =).

I have a friend at a local shop who can help me on certain products. He's gotten me a great deal on a RF P300-1 amp to push my sub and I am very satisfied with that as my amp. But the sub is a harder decision. I initially wanted a JL 10w6, but they cannot get deals on JL -- they are a Kicker shop. He can get me a good deal on a solo-baric L7 10", in one of Kicker's pre-built 2.0ft^3 MDF enclosures.

Having previously owned both solo-barics and W6's (albeit 8-10yrs ago), I am familiar with how dang hard the solo-barics hit -- but I know that for me and my tastes (mix of Rock, Rap, some top40 stuff) that the W6 would be ideal. However, considering the limited budget I'm on, do you guys believe it to be worth an extra $150 to go the route of a 10w6 vs the solo-baric L7 10?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12912
Go with one of these they are said to be better than the jl 12w6v2 but cheaper...youll need a different amp though

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-464&ctab=1

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5098
Are you stuck on those 2 brands?

W6.

Post Number: 2
@ Sean - whoa.....that looks intriguing to be sure. I piece-buy and build my own gaming PCs and spend much time on Newegg, so seeing all those positive reviews is eye-catching to me. I'll be looking into the Dayton for sure

@ Dio - nope, I am not. Having been away from all this for so long, I simply relied on familiarity with those two brands and called my friend to get some pricing. I'm wide open to suggections.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5099
Well, I would check Seans sub. That does look nice, However the only prob I see with that is the single 4 ohm coil, You would need to to look at another amp.

That amp 300 @ 2 ohms.
That PE Sub. 400 watts.
Plus its a 12". I was looking 10".
With that amp, you will be giving it like 150ish.. Even with those first choices, that amp is weak...
I would start with the sub, then get an amp to match.

Oh, And welcome to the forum

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2196
welcome to the forum!
i think u could bet a lot more for ur money if u stayed away from JL and kicker , even if he freind is getting u a good deal

Post Number: 3
Ahh yeah, nothing like an expert forum to turn your initial notions on their head.

You guys have been hugely helpful. Seems I need to peel back a few more layers to find the best setup.

Gracias
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us