Short American Bass 1000.1 test numbers

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2034
I picked up a Fluke 36 yesterday and was able to do a few quick tones. Nothing too in depth, just quick testing to see what sort of power I'm looking at as is.

The amp is supposed to do 10,000rms @ 2 ohms, I'm running the subs (dual 2, really 1.7) at 1.7 nom.

This is not maxed out- for the amps or the subs. I can keep turning the volume up but I don't like seeing below 14 volts, and until my charging can support 10,000w with no substantial drop I'm not turning it up more. My alpine H/U goes up to 35, I tested at 23 and 25

Test results:Frequency | AC voltage | AC Amperage | Ohm load | Output in Watts.

Volume of 23 - DC voltage of 14.8v
30hz | 131.02 | 28a | 4.679 Ohms | 3668.78 Watts
Volume of 25 - DC voltage down to 13.5
30hz | 152 | 31.2 | 4.87 Ohms | 4744.15 Watts.
This was the highest I turned the volume for the testing - just to show there's plenty more power for comps :-)

Volume of 23- DC voltage 14.8
40hz | 130.08 | 16.5 | 7.8836 = 2147.3

There was a lot more, if anyone wants I'll keep posting. Just shows there's plenty of power left in this amp when I run 1 ohm, hopefully get my rise closer to 2.

Any comments, advice, criticism, math corrections welcome.

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

If youre going to give...

Post Number: 1494
thing did 4700 watts at 4.6 ohms? ahhhhh

Gold Member

Post Number: 2035
Yes sir.

It is rated 5k @ 4 ohms 14.4v/ 2500 @ 8 ohms, so it seems right on par with ratings.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5455
Dayum thats some brutal power. Nice thread Troy.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2994
good info here. clamp-ons ftw. i use them on a daily basis, quite handy off the job too haha.

can't wait to see some results with it cranked :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12907
good numbers.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1899
jeez rising to 4.6 o0o0o0o0o0o lol

you should be able to pause burp that amp at 1 ohm nominal ;)

get your electrical up to par and get to work !!! :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10825
When are people going to get it that you can not bench test an amplifier with speakers as a load... that test looks very nice and all but all your readings are pretty much useless. There is absolutely no way to measure output power of an amplifier without using a resistive load where the resistance stays constant. Speakers are reactive, meaning variable impedance, which means you can not measure what output power would be at any specific resistance. This can be proved by the fact that you would be different "results" with different speakers (different reactive loads)

I say this every time somebody posts one of these "amplifier bench test" threads but nobody around here gets it i guess.

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2334
vids/pics/moar

Gold Member

Post Number: 2039
MS, what could I use for resistance? Not busting your balls, just truly interested in doing things accurately. Those numbers may not be perfect, but they are better than nothing. I never claimed things were 100% accurate, but I got something useful out of it.

When trying to get louder it's great to know that I'm rising up to 4+ ohms and that I'm safe wiring lower.

I'm actually pulling my btls out and switching subs. Thinking about getting dual 1 ohms coils and running 1 ohm for the pair- should still rise enough to be safe for music.

Basebalz, you have a lot more experience with the 500.1s, you think .25 ohm per board would be safe for burps only- before rise? really don't want to damage the amp just trying it.

Hope this makes sense, on lots of meds right now due to surgery.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5481
MS is correct, although these kinds of tests can be useful if just for the fact that they will give you a rough estimate of each amps output if everything else (components used in the test) remains the same. You need to use what's called a "dummy load" which are basically high wattage non-inductive resistors. Or, in some cases, a string of non-inductave resistors wired in parallel. There are a few more factors at play here too, like what voltage to test at, and to be able to measure distortion and monitor the waveform with an oscilliscope to see the onset of clipping. Reason being that an RMS rating at a huge level of harmonic distortion, say 10%, is not a usable real world spec. And if you can't monitor clipping and distortion levels across the board, you have no way of having a level playing field for each amp in the test. In other words, one amp may be able to put out 1000 watts at 3% THD, where another may only be able to reach that at 17% THD. Not knowing these facts throws a wrench into the whole process.

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1901
Troy,

I have burped each 500.1 many times at .25 ohm nominal. i would rise to .7. now for the 1000.1 i had a buddy that had one and couldnt do 1 ohm nominal(.5 per amp) however i think he was going into protect because of voltage.

all you can do is try ;) these amps have a very nice protection board so yoyu should be safe

Gold Member

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1902
buddy had the 1000.1 ^^

btw i like these tests better than a dummy load ;) when done properly

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10847
Brad pretty much said it all. Those huge resistors are expensive as they usually have to be special ordered from a company that makes that sort of thing, but thats what you would need.

Now, i can see the argument that using speakers is acceptable for measuring how much power you're getting into you own specific reactive load (your speakers), but you would still need a scope at the very least to view the wave and be able to tell when it becomes clipped. Without the scope you have no way at all to know where the point of clipping is and that is what makes the test useless.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us