Brands of Wire

Bronze Member
Username: Cyam

Post Number: 42
I know that this might not be the right section of the forum to ask this, but...
I'm just wondering if the gauge and brand of the speaker wire you use makes that much of a difference in sound quality. I think Im gonna run 8ga to my pioneers. I honestly dont notice that much of a difference, but then again I haven't compared it to the nicer brands. Would you suggest spending the extra money on the few feet of speaker wire running from my amp to my subs?
Thankx!

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 145
personally i would never run anything less than 4ga.
the bigger gauge the less current draw.

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 680
hahaha 4gauge for speaker wire i'd like to see that.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 146
haha i misread that. definatelty thought he was talking about power wire cuz i always hear of people nikka rigging their systems using the cheapest possible stuff.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15616
running 8g to the reg pioneer models wont make any sense

if u were competing in SPL with the 8000 model monster they have well thats different

a true 12g speaker wire is sufficient ....

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10723
Even 12g is overkill and anything bigger = absolutely no difference.

People don't realize that current going into your amp is DC and the current that drives speakers is AC... DC requires much bigger wire than AC.
If anyone wants to know why they can search, i've explained it before...

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10724
But there are two things you need to consider when it comes to wire: brand and copper content

Buy a name brand that is known to be accurately gauged, the dirt cheap ones lie about the gauge. Then see if its 100% copper or if its aluminum. It is a great debate whether that makes a difference. IMO copper is the best conductor.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2017
From info I've read, not personal testing, I've been told by sq guys that higher strand count makes a difference.

Even if I was doing a few hundred watts per speaker I'd never go bigger than 12g. Subwoofers are different imo - big subs with big amps means I'll use bigger wire. Mainly for cosmetics, but I've read spl competitors say they've gained from larger speaker wire.

In most applications you'll never tell the difference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us