Battery Keeps Dying!

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 118
Hey guys, I'm having a big problem with my battery dying repeatedly throughout the day. Pretty much, I'll park somewhere and listen to my stereo at a moderate level (not bumpin' or anything, but not quietly either), while at the same time using my laptop (plugged into the cigarette lighter, charging) and after maybe 1 1/2 - 2 hours (if that) my battery will be "dead" (not literally, but with nowhere near enough voltage to turn over the engine).

So, my question is; what do I need to do to have my battery last much longer & still turn over the engine under these conditions (sometimes I'll park for up to 6-7 hrs. with the stereo on)?

Oh, and obviously I'm willing to get a new battery. I'm almost positive I need one anyway, (as I've "killed" this one several dozen times). Or two if need be. And I'm willing to relocate the battery to the trunk if it's too big. I've kind of had my eyes on an Odyssey 34M-PC1500 or maybe an XS D3100, though I may be way off with that selection.

Btw, I'm currently using a Valucraft "piece of junk" battery from AutoZone that was like $60, and the stock 130A alternator.

Lastly, if it helps my setup is:
Alpine IVA-D300
Crossfire VR1000D
Diamond Audio D651i components
Crossfire VR354 4-Channel
Orion P12D4 500w 12" Sub

It's in a '96 Ford Mustang 3.8L

Thanks a ton!

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2948
I dont think any battery or batteries will last 6-7 hours with the car off while listening to your stereo and playing on your laptop. Why do you just park for 6-7 hours anyways? That just seems odd to me.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4212
LMFAO!!! WOW...

Here's the solution, don't play your stereo for hours at a time with the car turned off. I know! I'm a genius!

And get a fu<kin' volt meter.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2949
Actually you could find the Energizer bunny and hook everything up to his ears and probably be good for 12hrs or so. I mean if he can give a UFO a jump he can last a few hours with your stereo on. We all know UFOs need like 100million jiggawatts to start their space crafts so he should be able to handle it. Just dont drain him completly and kill him,that would be sad :-(

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2950
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1076
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2012
Add batts, or go buy a charger from walmart.

They have a half decent unit for around $50 that is adjustable to the battery type. You can either run the vehicle on a 10a/2a charge while you're parked, or give yourself a jump when the car dies.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Stavenmist no sh!t I could turn the car on. duh.

And, I do own a voltmeter.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
TWiZTiD, "NO" combination of batteries will last 6 hrs. listening to the stereo at a moderate volume? I somehow doubt that.
And I never said I was "playing" on my laptop. I'm mostly typing papers for school, and don't always feel like chillin' at home.
And, I said sometimes 6-7hrs. not frequently, or most of the time.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4214
Then what is the problem? How big of a moron are you? Do you know how to read numbers?

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2951
I seriously doubt any amount of batts would last that long. Unless you drive a 53' trailer and pack that b*tch with batts,then maybe........

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Thanks Troy, for the only helpful post. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have anything to plug the charger into. Any thoughts on a battery upgrade?

Nice install in ur Tahoe btw.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2133
BURNNNNN!!!!

why dont you go to a library and do homework/to write papers, or are you afraid of social places?

do you hump your pillow at night thinking its your best friend Ted?

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2952
Ok dude dont come here and ask for help and then get pissed when we give you straight up answers. Dont ask dumb questions and you wont get flammed. And actually I was just fuckin around with you but you took it all seriously. Im sorry for hurting your vagina.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
Oh, boy.
The problem is that I don't feel like driving around or idling for a long time while the battery charges. Obviously starting the car is an option, I was looking for other options.

Here I'll help you, just pretend this question dosen't apply to you, k.

Lol, and I'm the moron.

Gold Member

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2953
We are trying to tell you that there isn't any other options. You just cant sit with your stereo on that long and expect it to not kill your batt. But its cool Im out. Good luck man.

Silver Member
Username: Tiki89

Post Number: 354
Are you f^cking serious dude? You cant just park your car and expect your battery to last a lifetime. With the laptop and system you battery drains much faster. Hook a f^cking charger up or start your car up every hour or so. Or just get like 5 batteries and hope they last for 6 hours you f^cking dumb @ss motherf^cker,

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
Uh, hurt my vagina? Ok.

Actually, I'm not taking it all seriously, and I'm not even remotely pissed. It's obvious ur fuckin' around. Relax dude. No need 2 apologize.

Also, most of these answers are anything but strait up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
treo wow this really got u worked up huh? It's ok buddy.

I already know everything you said. I just wanted to know it there was another option, that's all. Thanks anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Ok, how 'bout this...

Forget about the 6-7hrs, thing. I'm looking for a good replacement battery to replace my old p.o.s. Valucraft. Any suggestions. And yes I know, almost anything will be better than that battery. I'm looking for something good, not just better. Any brand & model suggestions.

Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3299
lmao.

PWNED!

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3300
Here's a battery to keep in mind.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?displayName=Batt ery&itemId=175-0&navValue=14200175&parentId=42-0&productId=330105&fromString=sea rch&itemIdentifier=330105_15725_0_&filterByKeyWord=Valucraft&categoryNValue=1429 9999&isSearchByPartNumber=&categoryDisplayName=RoutineMaintenance&store=1994&sku Description=Valucraft/Battery&fromWhere=Brand&searchText=Valucraft&_requestid=26 67138

Gold Member
Username: Philly306

If youre going to give...

Post Number: 1475
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/default.asp

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Phnom PenhCambodia

Post Number: 4749
I got a Optima Yellow Top. $100 barely used. You can pick it up I'm local. 92376. Reply back here if your interested.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21566
Get yourself a nice deep cycle battery. Walmart has a 124 amphr battery for like $75. I was going to pick one up myself. Then buy a relatively small inverter (300w or so) and properly connect/ground both to your vehicle. Trunk perhaps. You can then run your laptop for hours on it alone. After a day or two you'll have to charge the batt but a decent deep cycle will sustain 1000's of chargings. My camper can survive up to 3 days on a similar battery and it powers lights, water pump, radio and many recepticals as well. You just can't run the vacuum or cook in the microwave and expect any longevity. Duh of course.

You can also look into a portable power station with built in inverter for extended use of your laptop. Most can be charged via cigarette lighter while you're driving and decent ones have a built in volt meter that can tell you the condition of not only the power station but also your car's battery.

Notice how I left out running your car's radio? That's because depending on your listening habits, even a couple hundred watts continuously for hours would prematurely deplete even the largest battery banks found in large motor homes. You need to factor in your amp hour usage and compare it to your battery's rating. THAT will tell you your expected charge life and how long you can play your radio. Or like suggested get a simple volt meter. Lead acid batts should NEVER be taken below 50% DOC. (Depth of charge). That's at about 12 volts. Doing so will destroy your battery's life expectancy. Follow the chart.

Upload

Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 977
not to take this Thread from ya but i got a question,

i want to put a 12V cooler in my truck and is there any way i can hook something up so all i do is plug my truck in with a drop cord to keep everything charged?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21567
I think they have chargers that simply plug into a cig lighter/power point that will charge the car's batt.

If that's what you're talking about.

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Cool.

Helpful post Paul, good suggestions.

Also, anyone had any experience with Odyssey batteries at all?

And if I'm only gonna run one battery, will upgrading to a larger one put too much strain on my alt. like adding additional batts. would?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21568
A larger batt won't replace a larger alt but will store more reserve power, say for those times you're sitting, engine off and using the radio. Remember, when the engine isn't running neither is the alt (charging source) so if you use the radio more sitting than driving the alt doesn't care, just takes longer to charge to full. If the draw in the alt is greater than its' specs then trouble begins.

"There is no substitute for a proper charging system."

Think of the alt like a water pump filling a pool. Say the pool develops a leak and the water spilling out is greater than the the pump is putting in. Eventually the water level (batt level) decreases because of the difference in flow rate.

It's just like a water tower also. The main pump is there to the fill the tower. The tower is there to fill the water demands of the community. The pump may not be able to handle the demand but that's what the tank (battery) is for. During the day when water demand is high (radio on) the bulk of the water is drawn from the tank, replaced by the pump (alt). At night, when water demand is less (radio off) the pump has to catch up to fill the tank back up. While it may be possible to run a car without a battery it's just not feasible due to the ever changing voltage requirements your car will demand, that the battery smooths out.

What happens when the pump (alt) dies? The reserve in the tank is enough to keep the community supplied (engine running) but only for a short time, usually enough to get it repaired, before the community depletes the reserve and water pressure (voltage) plummets and eventually fails. Bottom line is if usage>production, any system will fail, eventually.

So IMO it's best to closely match an alt with its' battery system for it's intent, just to reduce any strain of any single part of it. Especially for a daily driver. Now if you're filling a van with batts and amps looking for that 3 second jolt of lightening powering 4 18's at 160+......................

I assume no liability for the above statment.

Lol.

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 978
lol

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4094
solution/ battery isolator with batteries upgrade

/thread

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
Thanks Paul, though I pretty much knew all that, the theory was still useful & a helpful post nonetheless.

Btw, is there a particular reason that you run XS Power batts. over other brands?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5060
1. get a battery charger
2. plug it into a 500 watt power inverter
3. plug the inverter into the cig lighter.
4. plug the charger into the inverter.
5. connect the charger to the battery.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10727
"Also, anyone had any experience with Odyssey batteries at all?"

Absolute top of the line in batteries. But even the biggest auto batteries are not going to do what you are wanting.

I will refrain from flaming you as i see my fellow forum members have it covered

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 2018
If you're interested email me at tejcurrent@yahoo.com

I have some old battery isolators I've never used I'll sell for really cheap. You can run a nice sized spare battery or two in back, use the isolator so your system isn't drawing off your starter battery up front when the car is off.

Then when your spare batteries die at least your car will start. Letting any battery die like that will shorten it's life span, but even 2 optimas could last for years.

I believe most people who have used Powermaster use them (myself included) because they are a great product. I've got better voltage with 2 d3100s than I did with 5 34 optimas.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4096
^^^ finally someone else got it (isolator) right....

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Considering I said forget about the 6-7hrs. thing, and that what I want is a good replacement battery...

I don't see how "even the biggest auto batteries are not going to do what" I want, since what I want is a good replacement battery, as I stated much earlier^^^

but thanks for the input on Odyssey batts. though.

I'm between Odyssey & XS (Powermaster) I think, thought I probably can't go wrong with either one.

Again, thanks Troy, I might take you up on that. An additional batt. with an isolator sounds perfect. That way, like you said, if the audio batt. dies my car will still start (though I don't plan on killing a high end deep cycle if I can help it). My plan was never to go around killing batts. the only reason I didn't care if the Valuecraft batt. died is because it was a piece. lol

Anyway, I think I've got my solution. And I'll hit u up Troy.

Thanks all.

Username: Imagedynamics214

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 8
i dont even listen to my music at all without the car started

Gold Member

Post Number: 4102
unfortunatly I have competed (burps and street beat classes ) with vehicle not running due to alt. failure.. Voltage was closely monitored though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us