Infrasonic Filter

Bronze Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 24
Is it a bad thing to have the infrasonic filter turned off when the sub is in a ported enclosure? I have a 500/1 on a 12 w7 and to me it sounds better turned off. With it on, it's as if I'm missing certain tones. The sub is only getting half of what it is capable of handling so I'm thinking having the filter off isn't as bad as if I was running 1000 rms to it. If the filter should be on, what should the setting be at? It has Q, Center Freq and Infrasonic Freq. The gain is set correctly according to the manual.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10704
It should be set a bit lower than the tuning of your box. Without it you risk damaging the sub as with a ported box the enclosure does not control the speaker below the tuning frequency. If the sub were to play notes lower you risk overexcursion.

Silver Member
Username: Ericmb

Waycross, Georgia United States

Post Number: 257
and over excursion will fry yo CHIT!! i would use it no matter what..

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10714
Well actually it would be more like break yo chit.... overexcursion is physical damage to the soft parts, not fry the coils.

Bronze Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 31
I've got a new box on the way, when it comes in I'll try to get everything set correctly so I don't damage anything. My sub really doesnt have a whole lot of excursion though. I had a 13 w7 a couple years back and it flexed like crazy. The 12 w7 I have now I guess doesn't have enough power going to it to make it move a whole lot. It still sounds good though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us