Kicker 18 inch solo X

Username: Sk8er342

Post Number: 1
First would you let me know if this set up would work and and pointers you had

kenwood headunit. (fairly new bluetooth, hd radio etc.) unknown model number
JBL 6 1/2 X 9's (4 of them to switch out my four speakers)
JBL speaker amp 150watts rms to each speaker 4 (again unknown model number right now)

AND

class d boss out law 5000 watt. 3500 @1 ohm amp
18" kicker Solo X 10,000 watt 5,000 watt RMS in a ported box
10 farad capacitor (person selling the box amp and sub said hed throw it in)

also the guy said "it is a class d boss out law 5000 watt. 3500 @1 ohm amp and it is one of two identical amps that i used to power the sub i recently blew one of them so i am having it warrantied so i should have the other one back within 2 months. if you would like to get the second amp when i recieve it i will sell it for an additional 80 dollars."

Do i need both amps to power the sub or would one work?

would this set up work in my Volkswagen Passat?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 21521
Ummm. How much is he selling it all to you for? Getting a 3500w claimed amp for $80 doesn't tell you anything?

I would also question the integrity of the sub. He might not know what he was doing with it.

Boss has a terrible rep.

And of course he'll throw the cap in. I'd throw it out.

Silver Member
Username: Domenico

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 136
^2x!

-------------------------------------------------

You should concider getting two ZX2500.1.
great amps!

boss is like the cheap sh!t you find at a pawn shop claiming to be amazing.... why do you think his is broken right now lol

that sub is 5000k rms, so youll need at least 5k-6k to feed it. the amps i listed above would work perfectly and they go for about 300 online.

and if you are ona budget, id recomend hifonics!

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 655
where are you finding kicker 2500.1's for 300bucks?

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 137
http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1984
That amp has 120 amps of fusing lol.
You would be so lucky to get 3,000w or so out of a pair at 1ohm.

1000w amp for 80 bucks still isn't a bad deal. I would sell both amps for more than you paid and still get a better amp.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2105
wow...just wow...

if your not planning on doing comps...well wait, i would never own a solo X period. to run a soloX to full potential, you will need electrical upgrades for your vehicle (HO alt, batteries, Big 3). plan on spending $1000+ for the upgrades just to run the setup.

lets start back at the beginning here..Whats your Budget? your vehicle? your taste in sound? (i.e. SQ, SPL, or a mix of both SQL) how much truck space are you willing to give up for subwoofers? what equipment do you already have?(list model numbers if you can or specs)

answer these questions and we can find a much better solution than 4 6x9's and a solo X lol

Post Number: 2
I prefer SPL and i am getting the boss amp, sub, box, and cap for 600 dollars then 80 more for the other amp.. im getting the headunit speakers and JBL speak amp for $425.. i drive a VW Passat and trunkspace doesnt really matter to me i just want this system to thump. hard.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2106
i doubt you will be able to build a box big enough for that subwoofer, but if your already getting the stuff, why'd you ask our opinion on it??

and LIKE I SAID, you need to budget ~1000 bucks for elecctrical upgrades. or else you'll clip the sub/amps and your car will blow up. maybe not blow up but the Sub and Amp are FAR from anything of quality.

seems like your budget is around 1000-1200 bucks for a system, which is very do-able. however, if your gonna be a hard headed SOB then get your stuff and report back to us with a new budget when it all frys. good day

Post Number: 3
hahaha im learning to think before i type. I havent bought either set. My good friend in town is offering the speakers and headunit package whenever but the subs deal was orriginally 850 with an additional 80 dollars. But now its 600 dollars for the sub box cap and amp. would i be better off purchasing just this sub and box for 500 or so and spending the rest on a suitable amp, and two extra batteries for the trunk? having an amp to run towards my headunit for my speakers and an amp for my sub is do-able right?

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1833
u will need 2 amps. at least im unaware of any 3 or 5 channels with 5k+ rms sub channels.

amp the front speakers, rears on headunit power will be fine. (i run with my rears off most of the time)

With a 5k rms substage u will want at least ~100 rms comps up front.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1989
At least 1 high output alternator is going to cost 3-500, extra batteries will be quite a bit more. 2 3100s are 700 if you buy them offline for 350 each bnib. 2 runs of good 1/0 will be at least 50, plus all the fuse holders and terminals.

The sub is fine for spl, but for 600 I'd buy a lot of other subs.

Silver Member

Glendale, AZ USA

Post Number: 147
"The sub is fine for spl, but for 600 I'd buy a lot of other subs."

^x10000

-------------------

get two 12's ina ported box witha 1k-1500 watt amp and call it a day.

totall= under 1k

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2109
you want loud, correct??? how many systems have you heard? what components did they have? a single 12/15 on 1200rms can get d@mn loud when the install is right.

Silver Member
Username: Simple_smith

Lapeer, Michigan United States

Post Number: 133
Give us:
Budget.
Electrical Upgrades.
SQ/SQL/SPL.
How Much Space you have for a box.
Preferred Sub Size.

Then we can help you.

Personally, I think an Fi BTL 15 d2 in a 4.5 cube box tuned to 32Hz and a Kicker 2500.1 with an extra battery and all 1/0 ga. would be pretty loud.

Post Number: 5
ok so lets say i still install the $425 JBL speakers and speaker amp with kenwood headunit. With a $600 budget for subs box and amp what should i go for?

Bronze Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 21
For loud, on a budget, for SPL, you could go with 2 Fi BL's in a ported enclosure tuned to around 35 Hz on an AQ2200D.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2110
^^^ that doesnt fit in the budget... however, the BLs are a good choice for sub. you would only be able to get a single sub tho. i think the audioque HDC3's would be a better choice.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1835
yea get a single 15 if it will fit. single sub is easier to wire, dont have to worry about any cancellation issues between multiple drivers, cheaper, need less power and you only need to cut one hole for the sub which is a pain if u use a jig saw.

Bronze Member
Username: Texaslegend903

Post Number: 62
Listen man... i dont have 52000 posts on this site like alot of these guys talking bad about the solo x for various reasons but i do have a Solo x 18 in my 2008 Silverado. It is running on ONE Kicker zx2500, which alot of these "gold" members on ecoustics dont think will even power this sub at all. I am hitting 148.9 db's with the solo x 18 in a 10cf box with a 150 sq in port, ONE zx2500.1, and the ONLY electrical upgrade i have is a Kinetik hc2400. That sub is a beast and i would highly recommend it too anyone who wants a pounding system. Im sure i will catch some crap from guys on here about this post but this is how i feel. Here is a link to a vid of my system for proof for all who doubt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8OJJcxhAFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwc2SoQ0dI

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15627
^not bad but i was running 1 15" RE MT with a orion 2500D in a box 1\2 the cuft of urs & did 149.5dbs very 1st time i tested it ...best i ever did with it on the orion amp was 150.8dbs ...

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2964
"dude thats a sexy truck bruh.... and i got nothing bad to say but i would reccomend a new better sub,..... kicker isnt that great... if u like it keep it but id say go to RE.... and not just cuz they sponsored me last year but they r just amazing"

comment from second vid lol. says it all... clean truck though. appears you have some money to burn. but yeah the point is that sub is much more capable than what you've gotten out of it. kinda pointless to drop the extra cash when your not going to use it's full potential... also if you're running a stock alt. with that zx2500 i'd definitely monitor your voltage drop and consider some other upgrades electrically, you obviously have the funds and dealer around to install it

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 4111
i took my 2-12" solo x's out and installed 2 RD Audio Alphas on same amps, ect..and gained ~3 db... with much better SQ..

Solo X's serve their purpose... They are made for straight SPL setups for the most part. They take a lot of space and shine on a very high tuning.. If you think that sub will handle 5K as a daily groundpounder.. You are out of your mind..

IF you must run an 18" Solo X for a daily setup, then Scotty has the right idea. throw about 2500-3000 wrms with proper electrical upgrades ( where Scotty failed IMO).. Tune the enclosure to around 32 hz to try and get some sq.. I have seen and ran 2-4k setups with just a battery upgrade... Trust me when I say you will NOT be able to maintain the voltage to keep that amp producing that much power.. I did it because I wasn't worried about ruining the amps.. I would never do it with an amp that is worth a flip...

There are a lot better subs that would sound better and get plenty loud with less power if you want to avoid the electrical upgrades... Bottom line----SPL ain't cheap...

Boss amps= trash.. Period

You could do better than the JBL6.5x9 which I've never heard of.. Get a comp set (properly installed) on a decent 2 channel amp and roll with it..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2020
You still had about 2x the power he will with your kicker amp. I'd love to see you switch to that boss amp and break 147.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4115
147? sh!t i'de say a clipped 145 if you were lucky.

Silver Member
Username: 813thumper

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 142
lol 18 solo x and kicker WARHORSE!! FTW hahaha

Username: Pacci1er

Post Number: 6
5,000 RMS sub on only half that I would think the lack of power would blow the sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4118

quote:

5,000 RMS sub on only half that I would think the lack of power would blow the sub.

that is why you are the noob ....

Would you agree that when you turn down your volume, you are running your sub at well below it's rated power? If you don't that is where you go wrong in your line of thinking on this subject.

That being said, If you left your house with your (hypothetical) RE XXX at full tilt seeing it's rated power and you pick up mom and head to Alaska. Now mom can't handle all that "noise", so you turn the volume down and put on Neil Diamond for mom (because you love mommy dearest).. At what point on your trip does your sub blow from the volume being to low?

I'm sure you can figure out the answer.

That being said, I not sure many subs will last
with a full 5k going to it for any long sustained period of time. The Solo X won't for sure.. It is not designed too.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7767

quote:

boss is like the cheap sh!t you find at a pawn shop claiming to be amazing.... why do you think his is broken right now lol

Hey Domenico Zerilli, thats not cool. I sell only good stuff...Arc, DD, Second Skin, Kinetik, Clarion, Pioneer (hu's).
Desiard St. Pawn and Car Audio
The Loudest sound in town....lol

grant ankney,
If you drive a Passat, forget about an 18". You would be FAR better off w/ a pair of 12's or even 10's in that vehicle. You do not have enough trunk space to allow for a large enough box and air-flow for an 18".

ps...Domenico Zerilli
(just messing w/ ya)

Silver Member
Username: Boston_spl

Highland, CA United States

Post Number: 139
If you're set on BOSS then forget the Solo X and make things easier on yourself and get this...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9755_Boss+BASS-600.html

and hold on tight!

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 381
^ HA

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
Of course make sure he still throws in this...

http://www.bossaudio.com/main/926

just to be on the safe side.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Mark l'm not big on knowing everything about car audio but I am an electrician. An I know that when something asks for an RMS of X amount of whatever and it doesn't receive that it doesn't work properly. An can strain and break down over a short period of time.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10751
^^^ dumbazz of the day award haha

When do you think happens when you turn the volume down half way? Speaker gets half the power. So speakers must blow everytime do you don't play them at max volume right?

Try again.
And do some reading.

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/speakrat.htm

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9451
Man, all I can say is that the majority of electricians I have met are nothing but dumbass know-it-alls who actually don't know jack sh1t. Seriously, stick to playing with small and simple circuits until you learn a thing or two. You're probably just an apprentice making 12 an hour anyways. Even my uncle who is a FOREMAN is a dumbass when it comes to electrical systems in a vehicle or car audio system. Stay inside your domain for your own good. Thanks for trying to help though but you've failed.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21598
RMS rating is the number of maximum watts that the driver can sustain on a continuous basis. It's not like feeding a household appliance 90v when it requires 110v. Maybe that's where your household electrical experience is getting you confused? They're two different systems based on similar principles. All using amps, volts and watts, just in different combinations. One is AC (alternating current) and the other DC (Direct current). Ever get tickled by household current (110v)? Ever drop a wrench across the terminals of a car battery (12V)? Ever wonder why the difference? Amps baby.

Automotive electrical systems, while governed by the same principals, are different monsters all together.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5415
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Ok g@y man um small simple circuits? Not even close to what I work with on a day to day basis. You would probably blow yourself up if you worked with the stuff I do. A car is a simple electrical circuit. DC Theory is easy to understand. So let me just say like I said before I'm not the know it all of the car audio world. I am trying to get into this so I am trying to figure the similarities and differences in it to my everyday job. I would like to become knowledgeable on this subject. My assumptions may be wrong an that is fine. I had only replied to Mark because he lashed at me when all I said was "I think" I didn't say I knew for sure. An so then I explained where I was coming from. An 12 bucks an hour.... yeah right man I'm a Union Electrician not some romex queen wiring houses. I work on power plants, I'm talking 4160 volts. You touch that and it wont tickle you... cause you will be dead and burned so badly your mom wouldn't even know it was you. Check out this video to see what happens when you mess up in my line of work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bBvmPRqfmo

An Paul yeah I think I know the difference in AC and DC I didn't go to school for 5 years to know nothing. Do you even know DC Theory. Do you know if power flows from Negative to Positive or Positive to Negative? Could you calculate the ratio of amps to volts that makes up watts(Power). An RMS in the real electrical world is a statistical measure of the magnitude of a varying quantity or the rate at which power is created and dissipated by an electrical resistance. Forgive me for not knowing that its different when it comes down to car audio.

So hey why don't you come down off your high horse cause you know something I don't and welcome a new person into the society who wants to learn. Instead of jumping all over them and talking garbage to them. You look like the ignorant dumbass know it all when you do this.

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2147
" I didn't go to school for 5 years to know nothing"

im guessin 5 years of school didn't teach you about double negatives you should get your money back...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Why is everyone on here such a douche?

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2149
cause the information you gave was false. when a speaker is given less then the RMS, it will not hurt the speaker. a clipped signal will hurt a speaker. Overpowering a speaker can cause damage.

if a sub that is rated for 1000rms and then you give it a clean 500rms, it will not hurt the sub at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I already said it was an assumption so maybe your reading comprehension skills aren't that good sorry.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21604
Damn dude calm down. I can see you took our replies VERY personally. I never questioned your training or schooling in your field, just tried to determine the reason for your statements.

5 years of schooling and you didn't know what you can get for free on the net?

Ouch.

And not everyone here is a douche. More are every day though.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5419
The current estimate is about 90%.

What I find most disturbing is these kids who come here knowing absolutely nothing, read the forum for a couple weeks, fill their little heads with second and even third hand information, and then decide that they are audio experts and start answering thread questions. Pretty much everything that the CA guys say about Ecoustics is true.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2970
electricity flows positive to negative. watts (P) is equal to amps (I) x voltage (E). i'm a diesel mechanic/generator operator :-)

thing is i learned that in the first of my 12 weeks of training. if thats what you can come up with off the top of your head after 5 years of school you got shafted. characteristics of parallel and series circuits would've been slightly more challenging. high voltage is common work for me as well, paralleling mep-12 generators for practice is all in a day's work

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21605
Ever wonder why a lot of E's top respected member's of yesterday have and will continue to vanish?

I don't.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Agreed.

Silver Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 148
Fu<k E

it sucks here cuz so many people are not willing to actually try and take the time to explain things. there are azz holes like Snow who make fun of people for not know the simplest things, but some people are here to learn when they dont want to read some long post from a website.

I admit that some people on here are helpful like Paul, Kevin, Canaan.. but most are just rude. If someone makes a mistake you dont have to call them an idiot and put up FAIL pics.

and you cant even type bad words!! CSF and CA FTW!!

Silver Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 149
btw i hope your question about the Solo X got answered Grant if you are still viewing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4126
Sean P--- I did not lash out at you... I simply put the reasoning the you were wrong in a simple and easy to understand fashion.... Due to the high volume of new people who show up here and make incorrect statements trying to "help", Then people who know you are wrong have to correct you.. Most people who are wrong are not Union Electricians. Hence my hypothetical situation... It sucks that I had to come behind you and fix the statement... It does get irritating... Hence the slight attitude (and likely liquor).. My recently deceased father was also an Industrial Electrician, and he was the one who taught me the truth about the subject at hand...
on a side note: you stated you wanted to learn about the differences and similarities. Then read the links that M.S. posted.. It will be all you need to know.... and then some.. Welcome to E. Sorry if I offended you.. Wasn't my intention...

Thumper--- If you don't like E, then why are you always here riding JL's overpriced nuts? Simple solution: GTFO if you don't like it here...

p.s. Paul is probably as nice as we get over here... Okay, maybe 99% of the time..

Silver Member
Username: M0nstar

Toledo, OH U.S.

Post Number: 384
civil war amongst ecoustics lol

Silver Member
Username: Dangeranger

Fredericktown, Ohio United States

Post Number: 199
$20 says paul poops soon.

Silver Member
Username: Kravenblood

That one, Ohio

Post Number: 455
um pretty sure electricity can flow in both directions..
let me google.... yep heres a little article

http://amasci.com/amateur/elecdir.html

the real particle flow is only from negative to positive (from a battery)

Silver Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 151
mark, bc theres still good info that people post. i just hate watching people nag at each other and call others stupid for asking a question that they think is substantial.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3317
stfu thumper. it's because you are a dumba*s. you can read on other forums too, you will probably learn little from here anymore because of how many stupid as* noobs fill it up now.

Silver Member

Tampa, FL United States

Post Number: 152
i read plenty of other forums. i dont come to this one that often actually. this place seems more of like a hang out than a forum. thats the only reason i stick around

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Thanks Mark sorry for all the miss understanding. I had ment to put a ? in my original post as it was an assumption. I wasn't trying to give a wrong answer, I was meaning to ask of this because of my other knowledge. No offense now that everything is clear and I'm sorry to hear about your father there isn't enough good electricians left these days. Most of the journeyman that I come in contact with aren't any better then a 1st or 2nd year apprentice with a little more knowledge of the NEC.
An Eric I could have asked a harder question but I know direction of current flow for a DC battery is a common misconception which you showed. Don't mean to sound like a pri©k in that statement.
An to Snow people should be wiser then to listen to a new member or a low level member(bronze) without doing more research.
Thank you to everyone and not to sound like some kind of a hippie but i hope we can all get along from here out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us