Amp staying on

Bronze Member
Username: Tuloud

Post Number: 15
Hello everybody,

My buddy has an autotek super sport (at1500) I believe and the guy who installed it did the most rigged job I have ever seen. Anyway, his amp continues to power on after he shuts the car off. Furthermore, draining his battery so he can't start his car.
Could this be a problem with the install or something else? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 118
Sounds like maybe the remote wire might be your problem. Remote Turn On Lead - The lead from the head unit which supplies a signal (12V+) to the "remote turn on" lead of the amplifier turning the amplifier on when the head unit is turned on, and allowing the amplifier to be mounted in a location out of reach of the user. This is NOT the amplifier's main source of power.

Bronze Member
Username: Cyam

Post Number: 21
I agree with Sean P...the only way I know that this can happen is if the remote wire got connected to a power wire that is always hot. (i.e. the red wire in the back of the deck, instead of the remote output). To fix it, disconnect the battery (so you dont get shocked cutting wires), remove the remote wire from where it is spliced to the back of the deck. Reconnect the battery, then check for a wire that is only hot when the ignition is turned on (usually labeled "rem. - remote, also usually blue (but not always)". Then splice the remote wire into that one. The amp will only turn on when the power to the deeck turns on. If there is not a wire that acts like this behind the deck, it is possible to tap into the wire that goes to the ignition when the key is turned.
Hope this helps. ^_^

Username: Crave420fubar

Post Number: 6
The remote wire may (on the deck) be listed as "power antenna".

Bronze Member
Username: Tuloud

Post Number: 16
Yup, that was the problem. Strings of the power wire were touching the remote terminal on the amp. Havent seen this happen yet so didnt know until I looked at it really close. Yeah the guy had know idea what he was doing. He wired his dual ohm subs as they were single ohm also. Very good diagnosis guys thanks alot for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5059
"Strings of the power wire were touching the remote terminal on the amp"

Yikes. That sounds like a pretty bad install. I assume by strings, however, you mean the separate metal strands of wiring....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us