12" brahma, 10" idmax, 1 12" l7 Is this a good idea? Advice

Username: Huricaine

Post Number: 1
Ok....i have a 12" l7, 1 10" idmaxv3, and 1 12" brahmamarkIV. Should i put just the brahma and IDMAX in and sell the l7?...or should i add more spl with it?

I'm probly going to sell the l7. but im sure the brahma and ID will create plenty of spl combined.

The bad thing though...is that i have a 900watts class D kenwood cea cert. Will it messup my SQ or similar because it's D nature?

and is 450W good for both of them? im sure it is.
And lastly...im going sealed....(unless i add l7 ill port only that)

And im wondering if i can share an enclosure for the brahma and IDmax. i heard they were similar subs but idk... is this okay? or should i splitt the boxes?

please give me feedback..tell me your opionions anyone.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7655
NO!
Run 1 type of sub, don't mix them.

I you want nice slamming sound, go w/ the Brahma 12" in 2.5cuft tuned to ~34hz.

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLside, Pronounced: ... U.S.A.

Post Number: 832

don't mix...

Post Number: 2
serously?.....even if they are in differnt boxes?
Thats a bummer i thought they would be ausome...well...i already bought the idmax not the brahma yet so...i cant put the l7 and idmax together? SPL/SQ...no?(not in the same box!)

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7224
sell the l7.. keep the idmax.. sell your cheap amp.. use the money from the l7 and kenwood amp and buy a nice 1000rms amp

Post Number: 3
good idea...but idk about buyers. So you think the kenwood is crap?

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7225
what is the exact mode number

Post Number: 4
kac-9014D...i dont have enough for the expensive ones right now. Even if the was good...could the idmax 10 sound loud enough by itself? Because i will probly sell the l7 and other stuff for 120$

Post Number: 5
id rather have the brahma but im not wanting to takeback the idmax...and people around my town dont know zilch about them.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2986
give u 50 bucks for the idmax ...

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2007
60+ shipping!!!

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 2910
put all 3 in one box. trust me.

Post Number: 7
Are you serious Eric or joking...i know you are kidding. Anyway i bout the brandnew-never been open before 10idmaxd4 for 285$ so...yea. haha.

i think i will still use both to tryout...i could switch when one blows...they both seem ausome...but i saw a video with the brahma and it was gorgeously smooth.

Post Number: 8
so obviously then...my question has been answered: i cant mix subs...although i have seen it before but never heard them. Thanks guys. Im new here and will probly stick around...nice forum...

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2008
we were just messin with ya about the price on the idmax...

ive seen people mix subs too...sounds like azz if you ask me. properly power 1 sub in its recommended box, and you will be happier, especcially with a brahma or idmax

Post Number: 9
Ok...ha...yea. Thanks Abarca. I will power one at a time...but i will have them both. I just hope the spl is good enough for my needs with a 10". The brahma i bet kicks b++ty(strict bot..lol). The last thing i worry about is my amp...should i turn the gain down alot because it is a class D? I dont want a distorted signal on these things. you know.

Gold Member

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 7226
the brahma is not an spl sub nor is the idmax

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 2987
so richard if u had a class AB amp ud crank the gain all the way up?

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2010
richard, just set the gains correctly. listen for audible distortion when setting the gain knob.

lpf ~80hz
subsonic filter ~5-6 hz below box tuning (if its ported)
turn the gain alll the way down, turn your car radio to 3/4 its volume and set all the equilizer settings to 0, SLOWLY turn the gain knob up until you hear distortion from the sub, then back off a lil and your set

Post Number: 10
ok Abarca i knew all that. Im not a newb perse...im talking specifically about the KAC being a classD.. people say at the high wattage levels they emit shitty square waves... im trying to keep my signal clean.

And to mike..never would i crank an AB ALL the way up...its usually 3/4ths for alot of amps...but anyway...but classD's distort at higher or even ideal gain levels so thats my point...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
hell...my "900watt" amp ony has 2x 30 amp fuses lol... so i know im shooting lower with my gain then 3/4ths this time. The only great thing about my amp is that it is 2006 cea certified... so maybe it dosnt disort...but it only costed 300$ which i paid 150$

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2760
"And to mike..never would i crank an AB ALL the way up...its usually 3/4ths for alot of amps...but anyway...but classD's distort at higher or even ideal gain levels so thats my point..."

Not true. The gain setting is dependent on the voltage input from your rca inputs. You cannot simply set one gain higher than another just because one amp is class AB vs D. Not to mention every amp doesn't have the same input sensitivity.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ok...anyhow do i stay with my kenwood classD 900watts amp or buy an audioque one....is audioque good?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15443
google how to set the gain ...

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3783
Audioque amp for sure. Never liked KW amps. you will get plenty from the AQ amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
my final plan is to go idmax and l7 TOGETHER! But...The l7 is going in the trunk and the idmax in the back floor of a pontiac 4 door. what do u think? 2.0 cuft box for l7 tuned to____? (for deep hard thumping response). i want the l7 to less loud or close to the idmax but i only have a mono amp. the idmax will be .90 cuft. For the l7 I will first try my crazy 1.2 cuft circle-port 27hz which sounded bad but maybe different in trunk....its just that kicker reccomends a min. of 1.5

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1164
^lol

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 2017
richard...did you read anything anyone has said in this thread???

NO MIXING!!!

also 1.2cuft @27hz for an L7??? i wouldnt do that. box is too small and your tuning wayyy too low for an L7. JUST RUN THE IDMAX

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
ok LOL...i was kinda wnting to make you laughf. But im not made of money!! i already spend 800$. Will the idmax 10"! be loud enough though? i bet not. and i will have 690 clean-unclipped watts on it. should i port the idmax? what size and freq for loudness? will it still have good sq ported and comparable to what?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Also...who wants a first model l7 12" for 100$ shipped?

Silver Member
Username: Treez

Its not loud til it he...

Post Number: 426
Richard, i run dual idmax 10's on a mmats 2900.1 They're in 3.0 cuft tuned to 32 and the bass is phenominal. They are very efficient subs.

The last kenwood i worked with had power issues. look into a decent amp class d or ab amp that does a true 500rms or more at your final load. An audioque1200d would do just fine. You'll have some headroom. You wouldnt be disappointed.

Adire Brahma Mark I,II and III are some impressive subs. Im not sure about the IV..

Hope that helps..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us