Ported Subwoofer Tuning Question

Username: Infamous_01

Post Number: 1
So I've just spend a good couple hours and a couple bucks to make my own box. I designed it on paper before hand and make it exactly to kicker's specs. I piloted all holes, counter-sank screws, used wood glue in between and caulked it all up to seal it nicely.

HOWEVER, i forgot to take into account that the port volume takes away from the total internal volume as well as the speaker magnet. Initially i was aiming for a box around 2.7 ft cubed tuned to about 38 hz however ive now ended up with a box thats going to be around 2.1 ft cubed tuned to around 43 hz. The port dimensions were 3" x 13.25" x 22".

I dont know where to go from here. After all this work i was really happy but now im pretty pissed. Is this tuned to high? Will is sound like sh*t? Will lining it with fibreglass help me?

Thanks in advance for the help

Post Number: 2
BTW the sub is a 12" kicker L5 dual 2 ohm. I know its not an SQ sub but at the same time i dont want to lose whatever little quality i would've had.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20949
Yes. You can add "apparent" volume to a box built undersized. You use damping material and you can add up to 30% or more addition volume doing so. Check it out.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12036
Stuff the box with sheets of polyfill and glue or staple them to the walls and youll be right where you wanted to be originally.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

York, Pennsylvania

Post Number: 12037
You beat me to it Paul.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20950
I've used fiberglass insulation and even carpet padding in the past to make some of my boxes. Carpet padding is cheap as sh1t and available just about anywhere. No airborne particals like fiberglass. Not as good as poly but if money is tight.......

Post Number: 4
Thanks a lot guys. I was looking around the net on dampening for a little while and came across this site. Very helpful.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20951
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us