Paper Cones and horns

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 158
I'm wondering what everyones thoughts and openions are on paper cones. I was raised, well started on a pair of 10" Crunch woofers that had paper cones. I do not know if the paper cone has any advantage or disadvantage, or even if it makes that much of a difference. However I think it is that sound of those woofers that haunts me, well not really haunts me but I feel like I am trying to get back to it, the funny thing is that they only had about 75 watts rms each from a Sony amp. Though one thing I remember from that hackback style box was that it had horns in it. Why is it that I never hear about horns in car audio? Do they offer no advantage?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20946
Paper, in my experience, is not a good material for any car application. It's susceptible to moisture and sun damage over time. Something inside a car experiences all the time. The worst thing to see are paper surrounds too. My god do they have a high failure rate. I had a pair of home stereo speaks, Marantz, that were only maybe 5 years old? Paper cone and foam rubber surround. Dry rot ruined them. Literally a pencil's eraser could easily poke through the damn thing. Acoustically I don't have the knowledge to tell you what the difference is between the materials.

Anyone remember whizzer cones???

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2119
but some paper cones are light! having a light cone helps as long as its strong enouhg

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2120
but some paper cones are light! having a light cone helps as long as its strong enouhg

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20962
Light doesn't always mean durable. Paper is out.

Just my $.02.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 152.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 15405
but they have composite treated paper cones these days not so ?....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20963
Don't know about them. I'm sure advancements in any product will improve results. I just always associated paper with cheap construction. Case in point Bose..........

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 159
I am no expert on the subject but I would think it is a matter of openion/music preference. Good point there paul, paper is less durable when compared to its competion, yet each material has something of a different sound as result of its strength. But I am supprized that paper is becoming less common.

My main reasoning in this post was that I want to get a pair of 6.5" components hopefully for under $130 shipped. At the time being I am seriously considering a pair of CDT Cl61A's which happen to be constructed of a Carbon treated paper cone. I like the idea of this because speakers that I can think of which were made of paper had what I find to be a "nice" sound to them, it seems and mabye its only an allusion in my mind, that cones made of other materials have a harsh tone to them. Yet it may have been all fault of the tweets. These CDT's have Silk Tweets. Though I know little about the result of this I believe they will be a little less harsh.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us