Drum Bass Frequency

Silver Member
Username: Silvermopar

Nebraska

Post Number: 152
If tuning a sub and box to bring out the drum beat thump in your chest, roughly what frequency would you tune a ported box to? I have read that the "kick drum" has a frequency of about 80 Hz. Yet most subwoofer boxes are tuned between 28 and 40 Hz. If you tuned a box to a lower frequency would it be able to handle the higher frequencys well?
Help, advice, and suggestions would be greatly apreciated

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1951
tuning a box has a lot to deal with the subwoofer you have.

so what sub(s) do you have?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5299
It is a complex question and not easily answered because there are a lot of factors. The frequency of a kick drum, depending on the size and tuning of the drum itself, ranges from around 60hz to 3k. Abarca is right -- you don't want to choose a box tuning for a desired response and then throw a random subwoofer in.

Because a subwoofer has a very limited top end response, optimally below 100hz, almost all of the attack, or "click", of a kick drum is handled by your mid-bass driver and is dependant on how well it transitions in level from your subwoofer low pass frequency. A box tuned between 30-40hz will be fine to reproduce the very bottom end of the kick, but how "real" it sounds depends almost entirely on your mid-bass driver.

Almost anyone that isn't retarded can build a system that has low end thump, but it is very difficult to match the output cleanly up into the mid-bass range. The most crucial frequency range of an SQ system is between 80-300hz. To accurately reproduce that range takes extremely high output driver(s) and a lot of power. It is rarely achieved.

So to answer your question about tuning -- as long as the box tuning is in the optimal range (28-38hz) the subwoofer will be able to reproduce the low end response of a kick drum, but for a realistic and transient response, it has far more to do with your mid-bass drivers.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 153
I am only useing a pair of 12" Kicker CompVR subs powered by a zx750.1. In a ported box that I built before... based only on uneducated guessing I have ended up with bass that rattels the windows and rear view mirrior nearly to the point of not being able to tell what color of car is behind me. But as for quality bass it is lacking a little bit. I then built a sealed box giving each sub about 3 cubic feet net. After deciding that it was not the sound I was looking for I built another box of roughly 1.25 cubic feet per sub net sealed. Once again it seems like I am only ratteling the windows with the bass guitar of the classic rock which I listen to the most. Thus far I have about $50 in materials and have not quite hit my sweet spot. I really want that drum beat to hit me in the chest without all the rattle of other bass. I still want to impress friends but also have truely enjoyable music to listen to. I understand that you can trade for quality or quantity but having both is very hard to get. I think I am leaning more to quality but I thought the sealed boxes would be giving me that quality I was looking for. However I was not impressed with my results. I build boxes with 3/4 particle board and screws about every 2-6 inches. So now I am back to trying for a ported box, I am getting pretty good with building them, just not appearently getting the volume right I guess.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong, do I have something backwards?

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23402

quote:

Almost anyone that isn't retarded can build a system that has low end thump, but it is very difficult to match the output cleanly up into the mid-bass range. The most crucial frequency range of an SQ system is between 80-300hz. To accurately reproduce that range takes extremely high output driver(s) and a lot of power. It is rarely achieved.

x2

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1955
1. dont use particle board for box building, use 3/4" MDF
2. the cvr's are the best of sound quality. if you wanted pure SQ or SQL woofer, u may have the wrong equipment.
3. do you have aftermarket front speakers? are they amped? are your doors deadened at all?
4. 90% of the way your system sounds is install dependent. expensive subwoofers in a prefab ported box will sound like sh!t. expensive components just thrown in a door without an amp or sound deadeningg, will sound like crap.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 154
I have no sound deadening but do run kicker 6x9s in the doors up front and Kicker 5x7s beside the rear seat. The vehicle is a 1990 dodge ramcharger, its a solid feeling vehicle. I power the 6x9s and the 5x7s with a zx350.4.
Abarca or someone else, could you elaborate on sound deadening, what it is like, how much to use, and other usefull info on it?

Gold Member

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1965
http://www.raamaudio.com/

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11567
Sound deadening doors can increase mid-bass performance and will help eliminate any rattles you have.

If I were you, I'd take the 6x9s out and buy a set of 6.5" components and run them in the place of the Kickers. I'd buy a solid set of 6.5"s and run them off the zx350.4 and wouldn't even bother using the 5x7s in the rear. There really is no use for them as a solid set of 6.5"s up front would be sufficient off that amp to accomplish your goal. A different sub wouldn't hurt either I suppose but as Brad stated, I think it's more of a mid-bass problem than a sub-stage problem.

Silver Member

Nebraska

Post Number: 157
I would have to agree that oval speakers are not built for the sound quality that is more easily found in a circular speaker. Once again I have dug out the $$ and now need some help deciding what to look into. It would really be nice to find something to meet my needs for under $130, but what can ya reccomend? If pair A for $100 does almost as good as pair B for $130 then pick pair B.

I'll still run them on my zx350.4
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us