Help with subwoofer

Username: Jd93kid

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 1
Alright, hi everyone, I need help deciding on a subwoofer. I only have about 250 dollars to spare. I have currently been looking at the alpine type r 15" dual 4 ohm sub. I have an alpine mrp-m850 amp with 800 rms at 2 ohms and 1500 watt peak at 2 ohms. Please list your opinions on what i should do. I also need help getting a box. I am going to buy one i just need to know the size of the one that will be best for the sub I get.

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2023
i would look at the re audio SEx
i would get that over a type R any day.
i know the SE was good and i think the SEx is the same or maybe have something better

it has specs on the site how to build a box. if u have any tools u should build a box. it will be much better than buying a prefab

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 2024
i would look at the re audio SEx
i would get that over a type R any day.
i know the SE was good and i think the SEx is the same or maybe have something better

it has specs on the site how to build a box. if u have any tools u should build a box. it will be much better than buying a prefab

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 2
Yeah i mean i guess its a good sub.. I have heard good things about it. i dont know tho.. I'm just not feeling it. I'll keep it in mind tho. and do some research

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3620
Chech with Steve Miller or Kevin and see if They still have The Sonance on sale. look into the V.1(iirc) with that power.

RE SE
AQ sdc2.5
Type R
CVX
DD2515

All would work as well

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 3
alright i will check.. altho i can get a good deal on the type r from my cousin.

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 4
I think i am going to go with the type r 15" I need help on the box specs. It is going to be ported just because i like ported better. Need opinions!!

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 669
Glad we could help you on the sub

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 6
ha.. can you help me with the box specs now because i kinda could use some advice from ppl that know what they are doing instead just ppl that just think they know... (my friend's dad in this case) haha

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3848
box specs can be looked up on their site or by calling the company and asking for specs. do you not know how to build a box?

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 7
I do. I dont really have the equipment. I also have a friend who offered to.. I just thought i could get some help, but to tell you the truth your really not helping that much. I have the specs alpine gave me, but i have heard that it is better to build it slightly larger than they say to.

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 670
"but i have heard that it is better to build it slightly larger than they say to"

WAIT right there who told you this?

its all way best to go with the CO specs, cuz they are the ones running test seeing what will be the best enclosure you can have??

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 8
alright. and i dont think it really matters who told me.. but if you really want to know. It was on another forum i read. I can try and find it for you if you really want but, I dont think it will help you in anyway. But thank you for that.

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 671
well it hard on the sub if the box is to big, if the box gets to gig the sub will bottom out, and are you going ported?

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 9
Yeah i wouldnt want that..

yes i am going ported..

why do you ask?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5273
What he read was to make the box on the larger side of the specs that are given, which I agree with. Alot of manufacturers nowadays spec as small of a box as they can because they know this is an important factor to some people. In fact alot of subs' claim to fame is: "Works in a very small sealed or ported box."

The magic numbers for the 15 (for me in the past) are 2.4 cubes @ 29hz. Grab a dual-4 and wire it like the pic below and you will be all set. It will be an almost perfect match with that amp.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTION, La. Lake Charles...

Post Number: 3626
going slightly larger or at least on the bigger side of the company's recommended specs (port area/enclosure volume) shouldn't hurt anything.. It really depends on what performance you are wanting out of the sub.. Usually (there are exceptions) slightly larger will tend to be more musical sacrificing a lil spl. I have never tinkered with the 15" Type- R's but have a lot of experience with the 12's. Honestly with that amp and sub combo, I see no reason not to go with Alpines recommendations.

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 10
Alright thank you.. I will prolly go on the slightly larger side of the specs. Thanks for all of your help. That is exactly the information i was looking for. I appreciate it. If there is any other information I might need please tell me.

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 672
ok good i was hoping you understuted not to big or that could happen.

someone came on this forum asking about bigger box's and the box he had was 5x bigger then what he was to be using, and i was going to ask what were you going to tune it too?

Bronze Member

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 11
ha wow. Yeah the last one i had built by well we'll just say he wasnt a professional and i measured it. It was like almost twice what it was supposed to be.. It ended up making the voice coil heat up and ruined the sub. It sucked

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 673
lol yeah thats what will happen, if you need any help with Design

Bronze Member

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 12
which I might, but you guys are very helpful especially Quentin.. ha thanks. I will come here for all my car audio needs and questions.

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 674
haha your welcome and were this guy can help u on your box, he dose great

http://carstereoforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30

and they got alot of helpful info and ppl on this site too, http://carstereoforum.net/

Bronze Member

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 13
Wow this is more than i could ask for. You've been more help than anyone else I've tried to talk to including the local audio stores and other forums. This is by far the best.

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 675
i know a guy that has a shop in mississippi too if u want to go there if u ever wanted, dose great work

Bronze Member

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 14
yeah go ahead and give me the address and/or phone number so i can get in touch with him.

Silver Member

TEAM NEBRASKA Lincoln,NE

Post Number: 676
i'll ask i'm tomorrow cuz he mite be sleeping and i'm out of Nebraska lol so i don't know when hes up or wat

Bronze Member

Brandon, MS U.S.

Post Number: 15
o alright.. just let me know and again thanks dude ha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us