I need help, amp turning off when volume turned up, can't figure it out.

Username: Tb75947

Pa United States

Post Number: 1
I have two 3000 watt 2 ohm pioneer premier 12" subs powered by a 900 watt RMS mobile spec amplifier, its a mono amp but there's two positive and negative terminals so I hooked up the subs as you would with a two channel amp. The specs on the amp says it runs at 1, 2 or 4 ohms.

I can't figure out why but when I turn up the volume so the subs are at their fullest performance point the amp will shut off and I'll have to shut off my touchscreen and turn it back on for the amp to turn back on.

It will get pretty loud, but when I push it past that point the amp will shut off, AND NO, the amp is not hot. I checked my ground and power wire connections. I'm pretty sure it's wired right in the box. I'm also pretty sure that I have the ohms correct but I could be wrong.

Someone please give me some suggestions. I don't wanna have to take it to the shop to get it fixed, money out of my pocket that I don't want to spend.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7536
Sounds like you are clipping the amp.
In other words, over driving it and it distorts. Likely the amps protection is kicking in due to this.

Pa United States

Post Number: 3
It sounds crystal clear, i don't even have the bass boost turned up at all

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7537
Sounds like you are clipping the amp.
In other words, over driving it and it distorts. Likely the amps protection is kicking in due to this.

Pa United States

Post Number: 4
Actually I was just outside working on it and the amp isn't turning off when the volume gets turned up, the subs themselves are turning off but the amp stays on?

WHY?

Bronze Member
Username: Ridicbass07060

Nj

Post Number: 53
if the amp is a mono amp you dont have to wire it like a two channel. you only have to use 1 posotive slot and one negative. Also how did you set your gain? really hope you dont have the gain all the way up because that will do it. check to see if the speaker wires inside of the box are tight and not coming loose lower your gain. thats all i can suggest. hope that helps a little

Pa United States

Post Number: 5
Actually, I took it somewhere to get inspected and they said that I wired everything right. But the amp is trying to draw too much power from the battery when I turn it up really loud and it can't draw enough power to go that loud cus my capacitor sucks so I need a bigger one.

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 225
You definetly do not need a capacitor. What size wiring(power and ground) are you using for your amp? And how are your subs wired up? It could be to a .5 ohm load since they are both 2ohm dvc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us