I have a zx750.1 amp, want to know should i get 2 12" kicker cvr or 1 12" L7

Username: Steffaniejones

Post Number: 2
I have a kicker zx750.1 amp and i have a good price on 2 12" kicker cvr's and another on 1 12" L7.....which would be better for my amp? which would POUND harder??

(confused)......

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 1056
Give us a budget and we might be able to find something better for the price. Also how much room do you have available?

Post Number: 3
well i have a 2001 Lexus GS300 its not really MUCH space but im guessin its enuff. but i already have the amp and the prices on the 2 12" CVR's are $125 and for the 1 L7 is $100......so im basically trying to match a speaker(s) to the amp since thats what i have.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1059
I would think that the 2 CVRs would be louder just because it would be more cone area.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2891
steffanie? first chick on E?

Post Number: 4
Yep im a chick. lol....where im from a lot of females have systems but im juz trying to do a little something and want some advice....heard this was a good place to get it from...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1063
Well congratulations on being the only female on here lol. Welcome to E and I hope you enjoy it here.

What kind of box are you putting those subs in?

Post Number: 6
a ported box......

Post Number: 7
and Thank You Kevin i hope you guys give me the best advice...... ......Until i upgrade my budget and then we could talk about how to out BEAT some of the males around my way.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1065
IMO if it is a prefab box I would recommend either building your own or having someone build it for you. It usually sounds better and gets louder. A sealed prefab wouldnt be a bad choice either, but it will usually will not be as loud as ported.

Post Number: 8
ok its a custom ported box the carpet/fabric isnt even on it yet.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
Do you know the specs of the box? And I'm sure when you up the budget you will be louder than some of the boys lol.

Post Number: 9
nah dont know any measurements, specs, or anything besides its ported......

question......if i chose the 1 12" L7 how should i set the zx750.1 amp? and umm i have a 4 gauge wire kit is that good enuff?

Silver Member
Username: Vivi2000

Owosso, Mi

Post Number: 218
The enclosure is more important than the equipment. You can make a $30 sub get just loud if you have a proper enclosure. You can also make an expensive subwoofer sound like crap and have not a lot of output.
I would go with the CVR's if you can fit the proper ported box in your car. You will get more cone area than a single L7 which will help for spl.
And 4 guage should be fine with that amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
ok well from doin' my research i've decided to go with the 1 12" L7 for now (decision may change 2ma who knows) but i plan on buying another L7 and upgrading my amp. will that be a good idea for future reference???

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 3523
Hello Steffanie and welcome to E.
First off,If you already have a custom ported box, what size/shape sub was in it?
I have never been impressed with the 12" L7.. Just didn't get loud enough for me and its SQ was terrible. I liked my old L5's better. Now 15's was a different story.
The CVR's will sound better and probably outperform the L7 if you put them in an enclosure that is built to specs for those subs.. If you ever want to upgrade later you will have little problem getting your $125 back.
Have you given any thought to a single 15 setup for now? Throw a AQ SDC2.515-D4 on that amp and let it rip. That sub New is $159 shipped and would be worth the few extra bucks.
Whatever you decide on, I really hope you follow everyone's advice and don't get the L7. FYI i have ram most models of Kicker Subs from comps to solo X's and the 12" L7 was by far my least fav. Truth be known, Having discovered the underground equipment, I would not go back to Kicker subs....EVER. There are too many great smaller companies putting out far superior products and in most cases charging less the the main brands. Hope you hang around.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
hmmmmm ok....(decisions, decisions) well the cvr's are not in a ported box and the L7 have a custom ported box. and im actually thinking about juz buying em' both since they are for a good price and just sell them im sure i could sell the L7 in the box for $150-$200. I'ver heard lots of good things about the AQ but was still skeptical since it wasnt a everyday brand you hear such as (kicker, rockford, JL, etc) but i havent heard anything bad yet (not that i've done MUCH research, but you usually hear something by now)....but im trying to make the decision between these 2 choices for now until my upgrade.

and could you check out my question in the (amps) section this other guy is tellin me to go with the L7.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1067
I personally would not go with the L7, but you could buy them both try them out and then sell the one you dont like.

I like mark's idea of buying a AQ 15. That would be a nice little setup especially in a properly built enclosure.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2892
AQ gets my vote. screw keeker.

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 11505
You're the first girl Snow has ever talked to

Bronze Member
Username: Tedsprogz

Nunya, Florida US

Post Number: 68
hahaha hahaha

Gold Member

Post Number: 3535
^^^ and judging by the total conversation on his end, it will likely be the last. lol

Did you decide on anything?

here is a vid of a single AQ sd2.5 12" on 600 wrms. he did a 145.X with that 1 12 on 750 wrms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwKXrh6Pck

food for thought.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
oh wow poor snow lol the first huh...lol....

Silver Member
Username: Woofers4life

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 114
I would go with the AQ as well kicker sucks all kickers i have heard hits mid freq hard but lacks greatly in the uppers and lows and the SQ isnt that great at all.

That single 12 would make you happy with it and if you get another one it will be just that much better but this is just my opionion.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
OK so the AQ's are on point!!!!!!!!! and thanks for the video Mark i like what i saw......but the only reason i've limited myself between these 2 choices where because they are right here and thats what i have the money for now....so i've decided to go with the 2 CVR's for now. and i'll probably get a new system by the end of this summer (around aug.) and then i'll have enuff money to get something thats worth buying.....

QUESTION: THe cvr's are in a small sealed box and they beat kinda hard but i also have a bigger sealed box would that be better?

should i get 2 12" AQ's when i upgrade or is there another speaker u've had in mind?

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5222

quote:

oh wow poor snow lol the first huh...lol....

Upload

The CVR's will hit pretty hard for you while you save up some money and learn about all of the newer brands. The problem with Kicker subs is the sound quality is pretty bad, but like I said they do put out some bass and that is what you need at the moment.

A little advice for you... stick around and read the various threads that cover things that you need to brush up on. And most importantly, ignore the people on here that think they know what they are talking about but don't, like Ryan L and 90% of everyone else. It may be a bit tricky to read between the lines and figure out who knows what, but we will help you along the way. Good luck with whatever you decide Steffanie.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
OK well i do understand about the info part i dont want to be MISLED i rather you at least be a silver member...but i take info how i can get it and then do my research.......

QUESTION: What are YOUR (anyone who would like to answer) TOP 3 12" subs and why?

Silver Member
Username: Kingtutus

Lincoln, Nebraska U.s.a

Post Number: 600
it would be hard to answer that question becuase everyone likes different things in subs so like the spl of the subs, some like a mix of both spl and sound quality. and some like sound quality of the subs. so it is kind of hard to saw what the top three subs would be their is a lot of variables in subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
i understand that but thats why i made it an OPEN ENDED question.....where YOU give me YOUR opinion........

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5223
1. Soundsplinter RL-S/ AudioPulse Revo - Probably the best combination of accuracy and output on the market.
http://www.soundsplinter.com/rls_supreme_series_subwoofer_information.html
http://www.audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/revo

2. Image Dynamics IDMAX - Great sounding driver that will get very loud.
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/products.php?Family_Id=4

3. Fi Q - Another driver that can get loud but retains accuracy. Maybe the best overall driver for the money on the market. Excels in sealed boxes.
www.ficaraudio.com/

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2893
damn.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1070
When you are ready to upgrade just give us your budget and we will hook you up with the best stuff you can get for the money.

Yeah be nice to snow... We dont want to hurt his confidence.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Im not picking with snow i have nothing against him lol.....

and i will do that when its time to upgrade

Gold Member

Post Number: 1071
Okay well I hope you stick around.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
I will probably goin to take some pics/vid once i have everything set up.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1072
Do it!

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6784
"And most importantly, ignore the people on here that think they know what they are talking about but don't"

X2.

as for top 3 subs, if wanting everyones opinion, i'd say for mine:
idmax
shiva-x
tc oem 10 (loved those little fuc_kers)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1073

quote:

QUESTION: THe cvr's are in a small sealed box and they beat kinda hard but i also have a bigger sealed box would that be better?

The larger box would probably be better for them... according to kicker's website in a sealed box they need between 1 - 4.6cuft.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
larger box....will do.....

and whats the bandpass box all about...i dont hear much about them.....is it worth having?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6785
if you can have a nice bandpass box built, then i have heard they are very good. never used them myself, but maybe others here have. but if you're speaking about the bandpass you see in bestbuy or most shops, then no.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
ok gotcha....custom YES/MAYBE premade NO....ok...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3536
if you want to use the same amp if you upgrade from the keekers.... i'de do a single 15" sdc2.5 or even a RE SE..

All of the brands that Brad and Ctmike are talking about are defineatly better that the AQ.. But they cost a lot more.. There are many great high end subs out there, but I was just trying to improve your choices and keep in the same price range..

Other great SQL subs would be:
RD Sonance
RD Alpha
RE XXX 0/4-0/5
RE SX
FI Q
DD2515
IDQ
IDMAX, very short list as there are many many other choices

As for the bandpass boxes, I would stick with a standard slot port enclosure. unless you are certain that the person who builds the custom bandpass box knows exactly what they are doing, otherwise the enclosure will likely be peaky to say the least.
They are tricky to get right and I failed misreabley the only time I tried, but I am no professional box builder.

as for the CVR's' box, If you are not looking to put them in a ported enclosure, than go with the larger sealed box so long as it is not over 5^3 ft total for both subs and is well built. Thgey sound better and get louder in the correct ported box IMO.

What voice coils are the cvrs? hope they are dual 2's otherwise they will not be right for that amp. and the L7 would need to be dual 4 for it to be correct for that amp.

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 117
"as for the CVR's' box, If you are not looking to put them in a ported enclosure, than go with the larger sealed box so long as it is not over 5^3 ft total for both subs and is well built. Thgey sound better and get louder in the correct ported box IMO. "

oh yes they do my cousin has 2 CVR comps on a 1500 watt sony and it slams in a 4 cube down ward facing box tuned to 40 hz he is hitting harder than most 15s i have heard from round kickers imo

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2895
i wish i could f*ck every girl in the worlddddd.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Snow what are you talking about????? lol.....you sound like a man in need....if u were in my area i probably would introuduce to a friend but on another note......

and yes they are dual 2 ohms and the l7 is 4 ohm....

Silver Member

Lexington, Tennessee

Post Number: 118
"i wish i could f*ck every girl in the worlddddd."

lol snow maybe you need to start with one

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2897
it's a song nigs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1074
^Word

just out of curiosity what area are you from Stephanie?

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2899
Now you're trying to get at her Ducka?

Silver Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 938
We all know snows one and only is steve.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1075

quote:

Now you're trying to get at her Ducka?

lmfao! she is going to leave this forum so fast it is not even funny.

But, Hell yes I am. Sorry for the competition snow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
lol.....but im in Mobile, AL......

and im not worried i seen this coming a mile a way.....would show a pic but ya'll would really go nutz......

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6787
post the pic. surprised no one told you it's mandatory for all new members.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2902
hahaha mike.

but it is true steffanie.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I'll think about it.....prolly would have you guys sending me new equipment....lol...i had to close my myspace account because some guys were like wreckless....ya kno the stalkerish type.....

but nice try tho....

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6788
it is mandatory. we all had to do it when we joined. not saying nud_es, unless you feel really comfortable with it then by all means do it. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
lol....im comfortable with any kinda of pics i do modeling is my hobby....but like i said no thanks i get paid for those kind of snap shots......

Gold Member

Post Number: 3540
lol... yall are terrible. Don't post your pics on here... send em to my email instead.

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20740
You are NOT the first female on E. Despite the reactions of most lol. You HAVE discovered the fastest way to get a loaded thread though.

You guys are animals.

Oldest trick in the book to get help is to pose as a chick-a-dee.

I'm surprised nobody's asked to see your B(.)(.)BS yet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Paul is right somewhat.......i could be posing as a chick to get help.... (umm it doesnt make since because the thread is to help anyone who needs it) but that is a good point.. to think about....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20741

quote:

(umm it doesnt make since because the thread is to help anyone who needs it)

Yeah that's the plan.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2905
you better not turn out to be some white trash wigger Steffanie.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
umm Snow.......def. NOT.....just was saying Paul did have a point.....I could have been a guy posing....but that would be so f**king g@y ....(no disrespect to anyone of you guys that are) but that would have to be a guy with absolutely NO LIFE.....

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2907
hahaha blk?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
no but if i was???

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2910
im not saying black. I'm just saying someones name, BLK.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
rigghhhhhtttt.....but anyway i think im thru with this thread for now....time to Party this weekend.....lata.....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20742
Have a good one.

Upload

Username: Driller

South Arkansas, Arkansas

Post Number: 1
Well Stephanie, the proper subwoofer choice will be determined by a few factors, one of wich is enclosure size. The limitations are obviouse, as your vehicle is only so big. If physical size is not much of an issue, the two Comp VR 12's will in fact be louder due to a larger cone area than the single 12" L-7, but will consume nearly twice the area of your car. The VR's are also much more efficient than the L-7 as well, as they will do more with the ammount of power from your 750.1. Make no mistake though, an L-7 12'' in a properly tuned enclosure is a very capable rig. I cannot stress enough the importance of a properly built and designed enclosure.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2911
dude, she's out partying. Leave her alone.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1076
Im glad he pretty much summed up what had already been stated. Classic Ecoustics.

quote:

dude, she's out partying. Leave her alone.

^ Yeah its true me an her were at a sick party earlier.

Time for another post your pic thread lol? (ya know just so she doesn't feel singled out)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1077

quote:

and im not worried i seen this coming a mile a way.....would show a pic but ya'll would really go nutz......

^ I am officially calling you out on this. No pic no proof.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
ok guys finally got my speakers like 2 days ago. my bro help me wire everything up (he's also new to this but knows the basics) but we came to a STOP because we didnt kno the proper way to wire this amp....

Ok now that i have my speakers. how do i wire it from the amp to the box.

i have the zx750.1 amp with 2 12" kicker CVR's

the cvr's are wired parallel and are dual voice coil.

now i have 4 wires running from my box...how do i properly wire them to the amp??

Gold Member

Post Number: 3586
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=22

2ND DIAGRAM.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3587
YOU WILL NEED TO START OVER. THE SUBS NEED TO BEWIRED IN SERIES. Then wire the remaining wires in parallel..Sorry about the caps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
nah my problem is solved Mark......i called kicker and told them and the guy said.....

tie the - from one sub to the + of the other sub.

then he said put the + in the + terminal of the ampand - in the -.........

and it works great.....

because at first my bro tied the 2 + together and put them in teh + terminal and the 2 - in the - terminal which gave me .5 ohms from the amp and the amp kept cutting off when the volume is half way....not to mention the gain and bass, and hz where turned only 25%

but it works great now..

my next question is how do i TUNE my amp???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
and i juz seen those diagrams on the rockford site after i talked to the kicker guy...... but he said i didnt have to rewire the subs or anything.....it will still give me the same ohm level.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Oh and btw im using my factory cd player........if that makes much of a difference answering my question HOW DO I TUNE MY AMP.....

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2937
LPF to about 80hz
Bass Boost Off
Subsonic filter set to what your box is tuned too.
Gain you have to download a 50 hz 0 db test tone and use a DMM. Turn your stereo up again 75%. Find the voltage to set the gain too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us