Alternator upgrade question

Username: Liveyman

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 9
Ok...I am really trying to do everything right with my system this time around (electrical system upgrade, sound deadening, ect...), but I am having an issue when it comes to upgrading my alternator. I called a local shop and told him that I was looking to upgrade to a H.O. alt. He advised against it saying that by doing this I would only have increased power at high rpm's. He told me that at idle I would most likely have less power than my stock alt. Is this true? I have tried reading up on the subject, but the answers to this are all over the place. If it matters, my car is an 08 Hyundai Elantra.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10353
Not true. Talking to most shops is your first mistake lol. Most HO alternators produce at idle what the stock one produces at high RPM, and then at high RPM about 2x the stock ones max output.

That is if you get a GOOD alternator. Meaning not the ones made by most local shops.

DB Electrical, motor city reman, and mechman all make good HO alternators.

Username: Liveyman

Indianapolis, IN

Post Number: 10
Thanks M.S. for the input. I would rather hear it from someone that actually has knowledge about car stereo's vs some red neck that only works on farm trucks...lol. I received a quote from http://www.excessiveamperage.com/ on a 200 amp alternator for $420 shipped. He said it would be custom built and a direct swap for my factory. Have any of you heard of them and if so, are they any good? It has been hard finding any companies that build a replacement alt for my car. Most I have found just have a generic pre-built alt that I would have to get brackets made for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us