New to this - some questions

Username: The_wiz

Rochester, NY

Post Number: 1
Hello! I'm relatively new to car audio, and recently installed a JVC KDLH300 head unit, 2 Sony Xplod 6x9's (rated 80w RMS/260 max), and 2 Pioneer 4x6's (rated 20w RMS/120 max) into my Cavalier. Overall, I'm very pleased with everything, however, I've been adjusting the head unit's EQ settings, and if I turn the volume up much past 25 (goes to 45 or 50 I think), I start to get distortion from the speakers if the EQ pattern has alot of "high" settings in the lower freq's (more bass). Now, if I select an EQ pattern with less bass, the volume can go higher with alot less distortion. The unit has subwoofer outputs and preamp outputs, and I'm wondering if I install an amp, and either a crossover or bass-blockers, and a sub, or maybe something else I don't know about, if I will be able to have cleaner sound at higher volumes with the type of EQ pattern that I prefer - I want no distortion! So I guess what I want to do is "tune" my system. It is worthwhile to note that I will be installing this system into a new vehicle in 6 mos or so. Also, any opinions on my choice of hardware? I.E., are the choices I made decent ones or not - I'm very happy with the head unit - but what about the speakers? Any advice for future equipment purchases as far as quality is concerned. (BTW, I did have a small budget to work with for this system ;) ). Thanks in advance, and sorry for the post length if too long.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 469
Those speakers just CAN'T handle the bass, especially the 4x6's. They're all oval speakers, too, which distort much quicker than a round speaker. You need bass blockers for all the speakers, 150 hz would be good (the 4x6's are the most important to block bass from since they're so small), and you'll need subs to fill in the low end you're missing. Also, a head unit distorts a lot more than an external amp due to many electronic components crammed on an IC chip, creating more noise, also the heat from components is higher. You'll get cleaner sound out of the speakers from an external amp, but I doubt you'll find one to match the 20W rms of the 4x6's, and I wouldn't waste the money to amp oval speakers anyway, to tell you the truth. My advice to you, since you asked, is in the future try your best to avoid oval and other odd shaped speakers as they do not offer the sound quality that a round one does, 4x6 plates (which are a 4" speaker and tweeter mounted on a plate) sound much better than 4x6 speakers. I recommend focusing more on the front speakers, a good component system will sound much better than mediocre speakers all around, if you can't spend but so much money, invest it in the fronts, don't say "well, if I spend too much on these components I can't get the rear 6x9's". Also, a subwoofer goes a long way.

Username: The_wiz

Rochester, NY

Post Number: 3
Jonathan - thanks for the honest advice - great info. As far as the speakers go, I pretty much figured on most likely getting all new speakers when I get the new car - I just needed better-than-stock stuff that fit like stock for now - but I was never aware of that fact about oval speakers. I'll keep your advice in mind when I do upgrade the components for the new car. So, for now, I'm probably better off investing in a sub and blocking the bass on all the others - at least that's what I get from your advice (an amp would not be the best choice to get the sound I want right now - better to block the bass from the current speakers & add a sub for the bass, correct?). Again, thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 472
Yeah, you probably won't find an amp that small and you really won't see a lot of benefit even if you do. A sub is the way to go to add bass, turning up the bass on the head unit to try to get it out of those 4x6's is only going to overdrive them, causing distortion and overall poor sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us