~Ported vs. Sealed~

Silver Member
Username: Teamdeboy1971

OPTIDRIVE LN. La F..., TN Major Bass P...

Post Number: 597
I am a fan of SPL but I like to hear my music too and fairly clear! I want to see if someone could get good SPL from a sealed encloser? If I were going to do a single 15" sub system, and also it will be in a trunk without the back seat being able to lay down, What would the differences be with a sealed vs a slot port? I am using the 15" SSX DVC 1X1 and I'm only going to run a single Lanzar Optidrive 2000d .5 ohm stable amp so the sub will be underpowered but I think some good sound should come from the 2000d so If I run sealed will I have SPL? To be honest with everyone, I have never had a sealed sub encloser system! So, I have no clue what a sealed encloser would bring say vs. a slot ported box you can tune???? HELP

Silver Member
Username: Semperfi

Post Number: 231
i don't really feel like reading, but what i can say is if you want to go ported but but want to keep your SQ, tune it low, like 28Hz or so and you shouldn't have a problem when loudness or clarity

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Team DLSSuperNatural...

Post Number: 6360
tuning a sub low will not give it better sq.

Silver Member

Post Number: 600
What would a sealed enclosers purpose even be then? Dumb ? I know but If you can get a full range of sound with the ported box, Then a sealed don't make alot of sense to me! BUT on the other hand when ever you see an extremely high end or expensive good sub, their almost always in a sealed box! GO FIGURE

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1505
well man i would not make it sealed if u care about how loud it is. just because it is ported does not mean that will sound bad . i have seen a ALOT! of cars have ported subs and run it in the sql class and win over sealed. it really all depends on the build and how u make the box. i would make a slow port

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20268
Ported is more efficient but tends to lack the engineering for a one on one comparison to sealed enclosures when we're talking about razor sharp response. Your best bet is to go with a decent SQL sub and go ported. You'll be happy.

If it's going in the trunk without the back seat down how much difference would you be able to hear anyway?

It's your call and both designs have their advantages. Sealed is easier to build though of course.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Only Fcking H0M0S , Say WaterPolo! US

Post Number: 4915
That sub is a great SQL sub. A Sealed enclosure will give you a much flatter responce curve which is great if you listen to a variety of music. A ported enclosure is good if your looking to get louder but may not sound as good with certain types of music a lot depending on size, tune, power, port area and type pf material used. 4.5 cf net with aprox 50sq in of port tuned to 35hz should be nice or sealed with the same sized box. I know you guy are gonna say that sealed needs a smaller box but naaa not all the time. That sub has a decently stiff suspension, I had a Z1a on mine with 96in of port in a 4.5cf box and never knocked on the back door lol. With as small as his amp will be a larger box will let it unload a bit and move some air.

Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2516
In general I wouldn't go sealed, only because to me that seems like the quick and lazy way to get good sound quality. If you have the time and money, as well as motivation to try multiple boxes then go ported. This would be assuming you have the proper driver for your application and musical interests as well.

^^My response is not geared towards the ssx, just drivers in general, as I know very little about the ssx. Some subs perform their best sealed, but most can perform great ported as well as in many other forms of enclosures as well

Username: Antd17

Post Number: 3
no disrespect but can somebody go to my post and help me

Silver Member

Post Number: 601
I would love to hear this sub in both scenarios. The Treo site says
sealed- 2.1cu ft F3= 40.2hz
Ported- 3.5cu ft net 50 sq in long
F3=29.4hz
So, with that said, I don't have a clue! I guess I will leave the Box building to the people who understand. I have always used the slot ported box and usually I was moving alot of air and Feeling alot of bass....

Silver Member

Post Number: 602
I have always heard that the Treo SSX was a great all round sub and it could get loud! I really like listening to rap so bass is really important. I like the feel of lower bass freq. I always thought that the lower you tune the sub the better the SPL is! But, I have recently heard that the higher you tune a box, the better or louder the SPL is!! Right?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 20277
Let's just say the lower you tune the box the harder it is to achieve the same SPL.

160 @ 26hz is a harder monster to hit than @ say 38hz.

Ahhh but what a feeling she would be.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2518
Generally a higher tuning will be louder, but depends on the sub and vehicle. Box size plays a big part in the frequency curve curve and roll off as well.

In theory, a ported box vs sealed would be like having twice the power sealed.

Bronze Member
Username: Poprocks

Post Number: 42
I was going to use the in theory thing,but you beat me to it.

Treo site says 3.5cf.net 50 square inch vent 25.25 in. long,F3=29.4Hz

Treo has good products,but with that being said they have some of the worst CS around. There are know Treo dealers around me anymore because of that reason.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 14871
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/ ...

Username: Dc11

Post Number: 3
bandpass

Silver Member

Post Number: 605
I never really understood the Bandpass box! This is probably the most contraversal boxes out there I've heard on other forums.. I hear they do very well in a van type enviroment, but I haven't seen very many bandpass boxes at SPL events so, They are very unpredictable 1 sub to the next I think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us