Should I wall the grand prix???

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2503
I'm bored...and the thought of a wall is is really eating at me! It's for a 98' grand prix 4dr(wide body). Well not a full on wall, just sealing the trunk off- wall behind the rear seats. Would it be worth it for just a single 12" on 1200w? It would be tuned around 30hz using my LA storm. Would probably use aero ports or a removable slot port. My rear seats don't fold down, but I do have is a descent sized ski port in the center of the seat. I want to keep the rear seats so people can't see the equipment.

So considering the variables...what should I do? Wheres Polo when I need him!

Special shootout to JK for making me want a wall even more lol.

Gold Member
Username: Killer44

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1025
my buddy did the exact same thing in his dts,but with four mtx 10's...and he has the ski hole port but also had a factory sub in the rear deck with he removed used as a port into the cabin...it sounded amazing much louder then when it wasnt sealed off from the rest of the trunk...i know it was alot of work but it was worth it

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2966
no offence Donnie, but it's a '98. Do it if ya want to try something new... Is that your only ride? Do you have kids? what is the purpose, to be louder, competitions, sh!ts and giggles? why only 1 12" on 1200 Watts? Any chance to go bigger/more power?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Only Fcking H0M0S , Say WaterPolo! US

Post Number: 4903
I cut a lot of metal behind my seat. Honestly you may be better off buying a different car. Now it was definately worth doing and when done right you will notice a HUGE difference but again there is a lot of cutting to be done. Also if you are going to go that far then you might as well put in a 15.

Polo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4905
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2506
I'm wanting to experiment with it because it's an older car. I don't have the money for electrical upgrades and more power. I'm wanting to go louder without spending much money. No kids, car isn't in the greatest condition, so nothing is holding me back on putting a wall in it. Not sure on if I want to cut the rear deck out, since eventually I will sell the car and don't want to loose an @ssload. Basically I figure the best way to learn about something is to do it, which is why I want to do this. My other car is my z28 and that's going to be my low key sq setup. The grand prix is my dd and I want a ground pounder that sounds pretty good as well.

Now I have been debating on doing a 15, (possibly an 18 but the wall might have to be slanted, idk). I've thought about having team psi build me a top assy for my 3hp. Might sell off some stuff and go with 2 low power 15's. I've got a few RE8's sitting here as well. So I have some choices.

Polo, how critical do you think it is that I cut out the rear deck?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4906
I didn't cut the back deck out but the steel support below it. You can go a max width of 36" that is basically what you have between the strut towers.Needless to say that any and all box placement once you get that big will be from cabin only lol. The box seen is actually 35" by I thin 17 or 18" high. Invest in a sawzall that made my whole job a lot easier. I used 5" L brackets and stainless screws plus I used card board formers and expanding foam for the tops and sides. The whole underside of the back deck where the speakers were are all stuffed with xpanding foam. If you notice I didn't cover up the fuel pump access hatch just before the box :-)

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2508
Thanks for the info. I will probably cut just what I need in order to fit the box through, which will depend on what sub(s) I go with. I need time to think all this through lol.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2509
Change in plans...just got a van!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4909
Much easier but you will need MORE subs and more power but much easier to work with. I got two Saz-3000D's on there way I will have to throw some vids for you... Polo.

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2510
Vids would be sweet! Your still using that bad @ss 5200 correct? I'll probably make a new thread for suggestions about the mini van once I get it drivable, it's been sitting for 5 years but I did manage to get it to start and idle on it's own yesterday.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4910
^^^ lOl on its own eh? Ya 5 years is a long time. Automatically change the oil and gas to be safe maybe change the fuel filter also. Ya I am still using the 5200 as long as I control the amount of loading I should be ok. I may be trying a dif sub just for the heck of it in the future, we'll see.

Polo

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2513
That 5200 might be hard to replace with a better sub. But guess you gotta experiment lol. I'm honestly surprised the van even started. The alt and water pump were lying on top of the motor. It scares me that the water pump is off and there is melted rubber from the belt on the idler pulley, I hope it never got overheated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4917
Check the idler pulley bearing or any other pulley on the same as the water pump. Hell even check the waterpump something froze and burnt the belt.It is going to be tough to replace that 5200 so I will IMPROVE on that 5200. I have found a person to build on it make it handle more power but I will wait till it pops or at least one of the tops. it is in 2 pcs so I only have to ship the top costs about $14 to ship :-)

Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 4773
what kind of van?

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1507
who cares if u have kids or what kind of shape the car is in. do it anyways!. i have been driving an hour a day with saw dust flying in my face because i only have one car.
doing a wall in the back is nothing. don't even think about not doing it

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1392
ur not doing a wall BLK

Gold Member

Illinois Braaap MX

Post Number: 2514
It's a 95 windstar.

Bronze Member