Changed alternator now amp shuts off please help

Unregistered guest
I have two polk momo 300/2 amps one for highs and one for lows. The bass amp is pushing two pioneer 12in dual voice coil subs. (car is 91 honda crx).With the stock 60amp alternator and battery the system sounded incredible like I had four 12's and worked perfect. My buddy said that the system would fry my small alternator so I changed it to a 115amp. Ever since I changed the alternator the system doesnt sound half as loud the sound is distorted and the amp shuts itself off repeatedly. It did not do this before. I also have 4 guage cables and big grounds. I have spent alot of time and money and now Im pissed. Could someone please help? Answer to this site or even better my e-mail elimory77@yahoo.com Thanx.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 448
Who installed the alternator? Maybe the alternator wiring needs to be upgraded to get the full current, also most alternators are grounded to the bracket that they are mounted to, so check that and make sure the surface is clean. Possibly sand that bracket surface, then apply a thin amount of petroleum jelly to ensure no corrosion, rust, etc.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 449
Also recheck the amp's ground points.

Unregistered guest
Jonathan thanks for answering. I had the alternator installed at a alternator shop. And I believe I have 8 guage wire going to or from (Im not sure) the alternator. Is that what you meant?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 457
Yeah, with a HO alternator, I advise at least 4 guage, but would do 2 guage to be safe. It won't be too expensive to upgrade the wire since the runs aren't but a couple feet, also make sure to check the alternator's ground while you're at it. Another thing, the engine is grounded, too, which is where the bracket gets ground from, so make sure that wire is also a good size.

Unregistered guest
Jonathan that sounds good. Do you think that could be my problem and even though the system is brand new is it possible that Ive already damaged my equipment? Plus, do you mean the grounds going from the engine to my frame?

Unregistered guest
By the way the polk 300/2 is bridged and pushing 2 12inch pioneer premier DVC subs 400W nominal 800W max. 8 ohms but tweaked so the amp reads 4 ohms. Amp should be putting out 550-600W RMS.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us