Help with subwoofer choice...

Kyle M
Unregistered guest
Well, I think I've read through every post here before finally deciding to make my own thread... anyway, I have a Mazda MX-6 and I'll only be able fit a 3.0ft^3 box in the trunk. I originally planned on getting 2 Shivas and the jbl 1200.1, but after finally measuring all the dimensions of my trunk I'm not sure that this will be the best choice. I only listen to rap so I really wanted to make a ported box for really boomy, low bass (but decent SQ is a must). 1.5ft^3/sub probably won't give me the low bass I'm looking for. Anyway, what set up will give me the loudest bass that will make my insides shake?... lol (I've got about $600 to work with for subs/amp)

As for the rest of my system, I have an Alpine 9827 HU and will be soon be ordering CL-61's and a JBL 180.2 to power them.

All responses are welcome, especially from Jon or Glasswolf :D

Thanks
Kyle

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 244
Well if you listen to rap and want low bass i would suggest a sealed box, a ported box probably wont give you what you want. I may be a bit confused but i think that 1.5 cubic feet is enought space for what you want to install. 3.0 cubic ft will be plenty for two subs but i dont know the full out specs on Shivas. If you want the bass for rap then 2 subs is the way to go.

Kyle M
Unregistered guest
I'd prefer ported because I want it to hit realllly low :-)

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 450
Well, everyone has their preference of boxes. Sealed boxes drop lower, it's just that ported respond better at low frequencies because the cone can have more excursion. That makes them sound more authoritative. Since you prefer ported, I recommend one good sub like an Adire Audio Brahma 12". They have great sound quality and hit really hard. If you want more sound quality, 2 cubic foot box and a 28 hz tune, if you want more SPL, then a 3.0 cu ft box will do well, tune it to around 35 hz. JBl 600.1 amp to push it. Sub will cost about $375 or less, amp will be around $200.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 451
Oh, and you'll need some Fmods since that amp doesn't have a subsonic filter.

Robert J
Unregistered guest
hey how does the Jl 500/1 compare to the jbl 600.1. I want good sound quality, and i don't know that much about jbl. Right now i'm using a alpine amp but it just isn't anough power. so is the jbl going to compare to the alpine at all or will the differnce even be noticable.

Kyle M
Unregistered guest
hmmm thanks for the input Pat and Jon... after analyzing some songs with Cool Edit Pro and doing some calculations (I never thought physics would have any real world applications lol), it looks like a i could make a 3ft^3 ported box that will have only drop off about 3 dB at 30hz, which should be plently low for rap music right? I'm really leaning toward $250 for subs (my parents will pay 250), but if a Brahma would really suit me better, I'd chip in the extra $100 to get it instead of 2 shivas... again, all input is welcome.

Thanks a lot guys
Kyle

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 468
The fact that you like ported boxes constitutes that you'll need a single sub since those Shivas would require ungodly amounts of space for a dual ported box to drop low. Should be low enough for your tastes, but music does go down to 20 hz or lower, although you can only hear to 20 if not a little higher than that, so you'll miss a couple of very deep notes. I'd do the Brahma, it has better SQ than the Shiva and will put out more than enough SPL to suit you. One Brahma will sound like you have 2 or more "average joe" subs in the trunk, trust me.

Kyle M
Unregistered guest
Brahma it is. Thanks Jon :-)

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 470
Robert, which Alpine are you running? A JL 500/1 puts out a tad less power, but has much better sound quality.

kickercomp
Unregistered guest
a comp vr 10 in a big slot ported box will hit very low with only like 300 watts running to it. I have 2 in my explorer and am going to add 2 more. the fact that each sub is in its own box makes it take up more room but it def. makes it louder. the comp is no more than $ 119 and a my custom boxes are only 200 a piece so for 320 you have a great set up that can reach 135dBs if set up with the right wattage!

Robert J
Unregistered guest
A MRV T-420. it puts out 340rms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us