Smells?

Silver Member
Username: Semperfi

Post Number: 149
ok so I was really bumpin my sub today on base, and I noticed a smell ( this is my first ported box) sub is new so I think its the glue and sub breaking in it was smelling like coca1ne, is this normal?

it was a nice smell reminded me of m crazy days lol

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1718
idk what coke smells like thank god but if its a burning smell you may be burning a vc is your gain set correctly?

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
yea it is set correctly, i used a DMM at the shop to set it, its not a burning smell my wife doesn't know what coke smells like but she said it smelt similar to heated up rubber?? i don't smell that at all but idk lol

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1720
heated up rubber ive been around sumone smoking crack so i unfortuneatley know that smell so maybe coke is similar. burning rubber smell may be a vc

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
could a IDmax burn out from a AQ1200D? volume is at 40 out of 100 bass was on 4 out of 6. but base spec goes from -6 to +6

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
i've never smelt burning crack so idk what that smells like lol

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1722
could it yes i wouldnt think so. some say set the gain with the dmm some say thats bad so idk it could be set wrong. are you sure you wired to the correct ohm load? bass boost on?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 3561
Just because you set the gain with a dmm doesn't mean that you cant hurt the sub lol. The smell isn't hard to detect. Smells like burning electronics. If you've ever started a resistor on fire for fun, thats what it smells like lol. Turn bass boost off, turn loudness off, turn your gain down a little, and don't be a fool with the volume.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
it doesn't smell like a resistor on fire so i should be good right?

i just because the gain is set with a DMM i know it can still hurt the sub thats not what i was getting at, i meant the RMS of the amp and the RMS of the sub

Gold Member
Username: Andrew571

Stillwater/Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 2288
I think it smells like a carnival...

voice coils that is

Gold Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 1379
just turn the gain down and see if it still stinks

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Traverse City, MI

Post Number: 1786
coil

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 9261
Lol @ this thread.

Username: Jr96ej

Las Vegas, NV

Post Number: 9
Id say you are smelling voice coil i had someone say it smelt like that when i blew a friends sony xplod for fun lol

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2741
maybe your sub has a coc@ine habit. Throw some weed in the box, the smell will be better, and it is a lot cheaper

Silver Member

Post Number: 158
^^^

can't really do that... i am a Marine i can't have real drugs if i do i can go to the brig... but yea i don't think its my coils, i think its the box my friend made because even today even though my sub wasn't on my trunk smelled like that so i think its something to do with that not but sub

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6454
maybe the sub is moving alot of air in the car and its comming from the seat of your pants with all the SyphuGonnaHerpAids getting it on.

could just be the glue in the sub heating up if you arnt beating the sh;t out of it, and if your chargning system can support that amp and its set reasonably then you should be good, but double check your voltage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
ok thanks matt i'll double check my charging system as well to make sure it can handle this system

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1753
i know what your smelling and its coil. the coil smell still lingers in my trunk and i dont even have a sub back there any more.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us