Noob need help with speaker box

Bronze Member
Username: Shadowm891

Post Number: 18
hi guys got a question im looking at building me a box for my car for my 2 12inch kicker L5's. but the problem i have is im not to good with math to where i can come up with a good size box. and was wondering if i were to give somone the info of my car space and what cubic feet i need the box to be. would somone beable to come up with the size of each pice of wood i need to cut out. because i can put the box togeather thats not the problems its just coming up with the sizes of the wood i need to cut and how many pices i need to cut is the problem. i built like 2 boxes for my past system i had befor but the guy i knew who did all the math and stuff for me move and now i have no way of getting hold of him.

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 932
put up the numbers!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
h34" d19" w40 and the box is post to be 6.50 cubic feet with divider in the middle from what i was told for the max play the subs need

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 933
I am guessing ported?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
o yea sorry yea vented box thx

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 934
what do you want it tuned to?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
i really have no ideal lol never had somone ask me that question how dose it work the higher the number is the louder it gets or lower the number is the louder it gets.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 935
the higher the tuning the louder it is. you also lose some of the lower end.

I am thinking somethung like 36-38 hz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
yea right now the box i have which i got off ebay is said to be tune at 38hz so yea i have no ideal about tuning lol alot of people i know tune there amps and stuff to 40hz if only i knew a good tune to go with i mean if im right i belive i seen a setup with somone with a 6.50 cubic box tune down to like 32 or somthin like that

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 936
your box can really be 34 inches tall?

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 937
16 tall x 23 deep x 38.5 wide inside

17.5 tall x 24.5 deep x 40 wide outside

top & bottom 24.5 deep x 40 wide

2 outsides 24.5 deep x 16 tall

1 back 16 tall x 40 wide

2 fronts 16 tall 16.125 wide

2 inside areas for the port 16 tall x 17.75 deep

1 interior divider for the port 16 tall x 22.25 deep

If i am not mistaken all the measurements should work out and you will have 3.86 cu ft before sub displacement per sub.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 938
thats providing you ment you could be 34 deep x 19 tall x 40 wide

Its tuned to 31-32 hz i can change it up if you want

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
i see well looking at what you have done the death is a bit to long. for the space i have because this is what i have for space tall 34" x deep 19" x wide x40" and after the box is built. i should have 3.25 cubic ft per sub which comes out to 6.50 cubic total with a divider and for tuneing i talking to someone i know and he said he was thinking 38hz as well

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 941
what kind of vehicle?

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 942
edit: you will have 3.43 cu ft before sub displacement after displacment you are looking at right around 3.30 cu ft. If you make 45's for the corners you can get it to the 3.25 cu ft you want.

As for the tuning i can change that for you to

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
2001 kia sportage

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 943
will that work for you if you just stand the box up like that?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
how do you make 45s never done it befor

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 944
If you have a table saw you can just set the blade on a 45 degree angle and cut it and then switch the piece of wood around and run it through again so you have cut the two side to 45 degrees. then the piece should fit in the corner perfectly.

If you do not have a table saw you can do the same thing with a circular saw its just alot harder to do

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
so do i cut the sides where the vents are

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 946
I put the port in the middle of the box with a divider you dont need to put the divider in if you put 2 45 degree pieces in the middle of the port. I will try and do a sketch up to show you.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 947
hopefully this works
SKPUpload
box 1.skp (11.0 k)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
well im not now on my phone at work lol so as soon as i get home ill look at the pic on my pc. Only reason i use a divider is if i blow one sub i can still play there one in the same box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
hey how do i view this file ? you mind emailing it because i cant save it to my pc my email is shadowm891@cox.net

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
ah i see so whats with the little things on the sides are them the 45 degree pieces if so how many do i need total in the box and where do i place them so i know how many to make

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 949
Sorry i was at school. The angles in the two far corners are the 45's i was saying about. You can ignore the ones in the middle.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
k lol was looking at what u gave me for each pice of wood which i thank you so much for u been so much of a help to me. but im a little confuse here sorry when u say deep tall and wide what do u mean ? all i know is if im right for 2 fronts 16 tall 16.125 wide is 16 x 16.125"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
k so just make four 45's for each corner of the box ? or is this picture post to be what it looks like if u were to look inside it without the top on to where all i need to do is put 2 45's on both top corners and not the bottom corners

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 951
When i say wide for your bottom and top i mean that the board when in the vehicle is going to span the width of the vehicle (from side to side). When i say deep or depth i mean from front where the speakers are mounted to the back (near the back seats. I hope that helps explain it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
yes it dose lol thx now i edit the pic u sent me of the box is this how it should look now or do i need to add the 45's at the bottom of the box to on the back because i can make 45's off some 2x4's at work if i have toside
SKPUpload
box_1-557307.skp (10.5 k)

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 952
You just need the 2 45's. One in each of the back corners. You do not need to put any other 45's in the box except those two. Most people just use 3/4 inch mdf board.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
now do these 45's need to reach from top to bottom of the cornors or just a small pice for the top cornor and how do i tune the box to 38 hz a friend of mine told me to tune it to 38

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 954
yea from top to bottom. To tune it to 38 hz your port needs to be 22 inches long. that means that you need to curve the port so your 2 port walls will be 16 inches tall by 20. Then you need to add a 2 inch piece to go join the two ports so that you get the 22 inch port.

SKPUpload
box 1.skp (11.0 k)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
sorry i dont understand what u saying u lost me there about the part when u said .that means that you need to curve the port so your 2 port walls will be 16 inches tall by 20. Then you need to add a 2 inch piece to go join the two ports so that you get the 22 inch port.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 956
You need two pieces for each port. One is going to be the main wall of the port(16 tall piece x 20) the other piece needs to be 2 long by 16 tall. The second piece you will screw onto the first piece to form a L shape.

Picture yourself looking down from above the back of your box with the top off your port will have the one center piece and on the left side you will have a backwards L shape to the right you will see a regular L shape.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
o i see so i need 2 pices of 16x20 and 2 outher pices which are 16x2 and join them togeather in a L shap

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
k i think i have the box down now cool let me go over this to make sure i got everything.

2 pices of 24.5 x 16 for top and bottom
1 pice of 16 x 40 for back
2 pices of 16 x 20 for the I sharp part of the ports
2 pices of 16 x 2 for the L part of the ports
1 pice 16 x 22.25 for the divider
2 pices of 45 degree pices that go from top to bottom for both back corners

after everything put togeather with subs in box i should have a total of 6.50 cf with 3.25 cf per sub tune to 38 hz
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us