5K system

Silver Member
Username: 71_chevelle

Post Number: 173
I was wondering what kind of batteries and how many i should run for a 5K system? No real price limit just want to do the job right the first time. Any suggestions? and would it be smart to get a second alt under the hood??

My buddy was saying i should use all kinetik 16V batts and run my whole system at 16V...wont most of the electrical components shut off or blow at more than 14.5V? give or take a few tenths of a volt?

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10028
Your buddy is an idiot. The cars electrical system has to be 14 volts. Get the biggest alternator you can get. Then a bank of batteries, several.

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
Ok the biggest alt i can get is 225 amp alt. And what kind of batteries and how many would you suggest be in the bank?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10029
A few big ones, odyssey 2150, kinitik 2400, or something similar.

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1754
I think 2 spare batteries + one under the hood should be good. 3 would be better. I've been using powermaster 3100s lately, and they've worked excellent. You can run 15-16v on a 12v system, but to keep 16v batts charged you need to run your alternator at 18+volts.

Just a few spare batteries and the 225a alt should be plenty.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10035
" You can run 15-16v on a 12v system, but to keep 16v batts charged you need to run your alternator at 18+volts. "

Which will blow up most of your cars electronics. Don't do it.

The only way to run a 16 volt system is to have a seperate electrical system (2nd alternator or dual output regulator) for the amplifiers only.

Gold Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 1123
yeah some 2-3 D3100's should do the trick :-)

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7309
You can run a 16v alt and use Kinetik Hc16v 3-post batts your factory electrical will be fine.

Just run the sub-amp off the 16v posts and the rest of the vehicle on the 12v posts.
We are doing it on the van and its fine.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10040
Or that, forgot they had those

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
Oh i didnt know you could use all 3 posts at the same time? I thought is was either a 12V batt or a 16V batt depending on how you wanted to hook it up but using all 3 is very smart. that's pretty convenient. so would i then still need a few HC16V batts in the back as well as the one under the hood? or because it is a 16V system it doesnt need the extra batts??
and i can get a 16V alt so that's not a problem...i just cant remember the amperage of the 16V alt off the top of my head.
oh and this may be a silly question but does the batt regulate what voltage comes out of each + post, so if a 16V amp were to power the batt back up there wouldnt be any effect of greater voltage on the + 12V post?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1755
When you start your car and it's cold what's your voltage? It's higher at first right?

My vehicle runs over 16v when cold, after about 45 minutes it finally gets down around 15.5v. Been like that for a long time- going on a year with 15.2-15.5 daily operation.

I'm not talking about running a 16v setup to your stock electrical, just a literal 15-16v.

I've used several aftermarket alternators that were present at 15-15.1v

Username: Vincent_law

Ca

Post Number: 10
Hey i bought 300 amp HO alt...how many amp or watts can i get out of it...on the factory i was only able to get 1600 watts. my jl 1000/1 and a 600 for my mids...how much more can i hook up?

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
Oh i see so you're just saying that the 12V HO alt may put out around 15-16V not to literally put in a 16V system. So it would be better to just go with 2-3 big 12V batts in the back and anther big 12V batt under the hood??
and isnt Nick V and Canaan running a a bank of like 6 HC16V batts for their 10 15" subs? so if i wanted to do what they're doing i could get a HC16V batt for under the hood and 2-3 more HC16V for the bank of batts in the back???

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
Hey Vincent if you take your question and put it into a new Thread you'll get more people to answer your question...no one is really going to answer your question in this one, not that they cant, they will just stick to the main topic about this original thread.

Thank you!

P.S. in the future if you have a question and none of the other threads will answer it from reading them. dont ask your question in the same thread, just start a new thread with your question.

Bronze Member
Username: Terra

Post Number: 40
I'm selling 5 Kinetik HC16v's if you need some

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 7310
Yes, you can get a 16v alt and run 3-post Kinetik HC16v's.

You just charge the 16v post w/ the alt.

DO NOT CONNECT THE ALT TO YOUR FACTORY ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.

You run the factory and 12v amps off the 12v post on the batts. You have to connect both sets of posts. That way all the 12v posts are connected, and all the 16v. They share a common ground.

One drawback is the 12v side on these batts are pretty week.
Even charging the 16v post at ~17.5v-17.8v, I am only seeing 12.1-12.2v on the 12v side.

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10045
That is how it will be due to how that battery works..... the 12 volt post on the battery is only using part of the battery, only some of the cells, to supply 12v. Then all of the cells are used to supply the 16v. The alt is holding the voltage up on the 16 volt side, but the 12v side is running on battery only... although it remains charged.

Essentially it is like running off battery power all the time, but that the battery will never drain. If that makes any sense.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Thank you for those numbers canaan!! and the advice on hooking up what to which posts!!

Yes that makes perfect sense in a weird way M.S. hahaha great explanation!!

Thank you!!!!

I think i will go with the 16V system only because my friend has a 16V batt that he has never used and is going to give me and they are cheaper than the biggest Kineitk or oddysey batts but i do not know if the new Memphis 16-MC1.4000 amp will run at 16V or if that's too much for that amp??

Oh what size and brand of 16V alt are you using Canaan?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2381
can't wait to see when he blows something up...

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10067
It has to be a 3 post like the kenitik or else you have to have seperate electrical system..... DO NOT run 16v on the car electrical for the last time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
Ok sweet!! And the 16V my buddy has is Kinetik! even better!! I can also hook the starter up to the 16V terminal as well...it wont do much damage just make it crank a bit harder right?

Thank you M.S. for everything!!

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 2428
lol.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1751
i wouldnt necessarily reccomend it but ive been running my amp at .5 ohms lately with just 2 spv70's and a 200 amp alt and i havent had that bad of voltage drops. 12.1 was the worst i let it get to when approaching full volume. not sure on total power consumption but i would guess 5kw+ between both my amps and other electronics for the vehicle.

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

TEAM REVOLUTIONLake Charles...

Post Number: 2742
i see a ECU needing to be replaced in the near future.

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1752
when i say 5w and other electronics that means my seat motors, power inverter, cig lighter, heated seats, windows, etc all at once but just trying to show insight. i often run my system while using many of these features and the only time it gets that low is while many of then are on at once.

Silver Member

Post Number: 187
ohhh ok ok well i dont have many fancy electronics in the chevelle besides the sound system hahaha so i dont think i will have to worry too much about the voltage being around 12.1 then
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us