Which Subs Are The Best?

I'm new in this whole car audio thing and I want to know the best set up for my car. I'm planning on buying the kenwood kdc x717 head unit. Is that any good? I'm not really sure what brands and how much power to put in. I got about a grand to spend and have two 6 1/2" and 6 x 9 speaker openings. i also am going to put a box in the back. i don't know what to put in though, sealed or ported, 2 12" or 3 10", and what brand to get. it seemed like allot of the cars in the the magazines have jl subs, so i guess they're good! i was looking at the rockford he subs too. how are they? i know i sound like an idiot but i dont want to get ripped off by some sound shop telling me that every thing is good. thanks for your help.

jeb d friend
i just bought a 98 jeep and put eclipse audio all the way around unbelievable high and mids like crystal i have two jl's in a ported box with a 700 watt boss amp not bridged if you have the money by two chanels 360rms rocksford fosgate kenwood makes a great head unit i put an alpine in mine eclipse spkrs $119 a pair boss amp (looks sweet) $150 jl's 140 a piece

Hi. I'm selling my subs, box and amp. Email me at phattony81@hotmail.com if you are interested and want to talk more about this.

dan mack
word,
best subs, infinity perfect 12's sound amasing and can make the whole block say there goes a system. plus if your into say acoustic guitars or symphony kinda stuff believe me their definition is incredible. for the head set, alpine. they have so many features, you can hone your sound like none other. for amps rockford, they produce the cleanest sound and have great depth. so it is a little more expensive, but with car stereo, you pay for what you get. so don't skimp.

hi! in a newbe in all this and i would like to know which subs are better, the kickers, infinity or the audiovhan? tnXs i really apreciate ur help :]

Are the pyle millennia series subs any good? If you have ne experience with em, gimme an email at

dar17p@earthlink.net

also...if u have ne experience with audiobahn.. tell me about them too

Im here in trinidad i am using all audiopipe speakers do they give any trouble after time ?

Is Audiopipe a good speaker ?

Wise Guy
I have a pair of 15" Cerwin Vega's, Vega series 154 they can handle 1'000 watts each I would recomend it to anyone. I have them for about 1 1/2 years with a 600 watts Rockford Fosgate amp on each one and they kick a$$. they are about $200 each or less.

EEstudent
For great street bass I would go with Treo Engineering SSX line. For competition, again Treo, but their CSX line. For sound quality I really like Focal subs, the the eclipse aluminum cones.
www.treoonnline.com

Pyle PLWB108's
Nobody knows for sure what happened to Pyle ... remember the PROs?
I have two PLWB108s (yes 8 ohm !!!), each of these in its own 1.1 cu.f chamber, ported at 3" x 4" connected to an Alpine 1505 about 400w/Ch. (Not even bridged yet!!!)
It is so F**K'N LOUD that it rips the 1996 Camaro Convertible apart.
It blows away the entire neighborhood and I have been chased down the street by people as well as sh*t thrown at me!
This is Pyle still at its best.
I have tried to blow these up but they just get louder and more obnoxious! It feels like everything is going to blow up except these!
From low to high bass this subwoofer has no distortion and is a magical blend with an Alpine 505 driven 4 Polk 6.5s and tweeters. All driven by a Pioneer KEH-P990 and Alpine 3342 processor and 1 Farad cap.
My system is an Epiphany...professionally sweet...and when not in painful threshold it makes women want to F**K ME!
I'm a real life Han Solo!
I've got to figure out a way to add a couple of more 10s & 12s to my limited space.
Heavy duty construction with Rubber surround is all it takes.
Excursion and pole length? I can't imagine if and when Pyle would make a 13W7 !!!

All of you idiots who think you know everything and spend dollars and still aren't happy...F**K YOU !!

Anonymous
are sony xplod subs good

Andy Ngo
what is the rating on the 13 W7??? i recently customize my whole trunk for about 1000. i have one 13w7 and running that with a mtx 8100Dthunder in my sc400 and the bass didnt really sound how i would expect to be. what is the best amp for that sub????

lISTEN Y FRIENDS TAK MY ADVISE THE BEST SUBS ARE THE ULTRA EXCURSION AUDIOBAHNS ND TH CERWIN VEGA STROKERS(LOK CRAP BUT SOUND GREAT) u MAY NEED DYNAMA AS THESE TEND TO SHAKE YOUR WHOLE CAR AND MAY EVEN SHTTER YOUR WINDOWS (15" ARE THE BEST)

Audiobahn, JL audio, kicker, and Alpine are the brands i trust most

Anonymous
The problem is that there is no perfect sub even though every want to think there system is the best You have to find a sub that works with your car

AUDIOBAHN FLAME Q's ALL THE WAY

KC
Hi-
I have an '03 Dodge quad cab 4x4. I just put a Kenwood CD player & Alpine SPR-176A components in. I am deciding on what to go w/ as far as subs/amp. I don't want thunderous bass, just a nice-low-sound w/ my music. I've seen a couple of the boxes to fit under the rear seat- in the storage compartment. I want it to look nice, w/out taking ALL my space. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks

Hi,

I don't know to much about car audio, but i would like some major bass in my car. but i don't know what subs are good and what subs are not good. Anyway im looking to spend about 275 or so. Any suggestions???

james money
amanda, get kenwood torandos 10 or 12"s at crutchfeild.com buy one get one free baby! Yes i know... dang good deal, there like 110 for one, but you get the next for free!

Anonymous
Hi- I own 4 12'' polk gnx subs with the 1200 sony explode amp.The system is extreamly loud but I just can't stop there. I'm selling it and just bought an MTX 8100d amp. I was wondering how the alpine r 12 sounds. I wanted to get 4 of them but from what I heard lately that they are not realy for compitition. Any info on these subs would be helpful.

Amanda
Thanks James! I'll check it out.

which 10-inch car audio sub-woofers would you recommend for someone who usually plays mainstream and contemporary jazz - and not loud enough to wake up the neighbourhood?

the head unit is a nakamichi cd-700 and the amp a nakamichi pa-2004 driving audiodyne system 340 (3-component) speakers.

i'm looking at something that sounds _very_ natural and yet is very efficient in output.

thanks in advance. have a pleasant day and a great weekend.

~pete~

Derek
For the smallest enclosure - MTX 8000s at flat to 38Hz and fit in boxes from .4 to 1.1 cuft.

If powerhandling and large (4 cuft) box isn't an issue - Morel MW-1075 is flat to below 30 Hz.

Kicker makes lots of woofers that are a good compromise between the two.

Pete, If your looking for an efficient 10 that has an accurate sound go with the infinity perfect 10.1 I have two 12.1 perfects and they are the most musical subs I have ever heard and the 10.1s are even more fast and responsive. These subs work best in a sealed enclosure so put the ten in a 0.9-1.0 cu.ft. box and it will blend in seamlessly in your system.

I think I just triggered my Eclipse cd player's security system. You know how it is disabled when it is stolen but it is not stolen so what do I do? I am having trouble finding Eclipse on the internet are they still around? Music is life and I have no music in my car so what do I do?

Anonymous
Does anyone know what sub or subs would go best with a 1400 watt lanzar VHC2000 if i want pounding bass, i would appreciate any help.

uh ya i would recomend the new line concept they have been out for about a year now so there not well heard of yet but let me tell ya there awesome i have a 3 ten setup w\ a mtx competiton box and they hit 143dec thats pretty good for only paying 60 a sub but thats only caues i got the hook up origionaly there 130 a peice wich that is still damn awesom. umm that 1400 amp would go good w\ one of the concept competition subs its about 1500$ a sub but ill tell u it would sound real nice its a quad voice coil which is new on the market and its the best out there its a 1000watts RMS PER COIL.omg mega BASS!!!!

Malik
Best subs out there are the JBL GTI series but you'll need a monster amp to push them

Anonymous
all I can say is 13W7 on an alpine 1507 with a 7977 head unit... kids...

i have a 2000 dodge dakota and have had two twelves kickers for a few months but now want to step up to two fifteens. i am looking at either kicker comp vr, mtx 8000, or solo baric l7 or l5. i want to stay below 500 for the subs. i plan on puchasing off ebay. i have two kenwood amps pushing 450 a peice. what would be the best brand to go with for a 1.4-2 cuft box? thanks email suggestions to:
cmmueth@usieagles.org

phat bass
i own a pair of cerwin vega strokers 12"i have had alpine and pioneer and kicker solobaric and i would never trade my strokers for any thing i am runninga pheonix gold zx 800.1 bridged mono pushing about 1500 watts of rms power and i hit 156.8 db so rock on boys

I have (2) MTX 81000D amps that will be running at 1500 watts rms each. I need to know of any sub that will hold 1500 rms (not 1500 max) and for anyone to tell me about it if u find one, Thanks.

wizzle
i've got a jeep cherokee sport and was running 2 10 kicker free airs for a while till i ran into an amazing deal 2 12" kicker comp vr for $75 for both. i'm also running a 300watt alpine when i put in the 2 12"s i couldnt belive the differance i can really feel the bass i cound smoke in the car if i wanted to cause of how hard it hit when i get some more money i'm upgrading to a power accoustics amp 370watt rms x 2 and the super box ment for kicker comps the box is $159 and is kick a$$ check it out thezeb.com i cant wait till i get more money. also wiring makes a big differance on how hard it hits from bridging, series, parrallel it all matters

I have a kicker 10 and its louder than any roud 12-15 ive heard

Yoda, Han Solo is a stupid b!tch
MESSAGE TO HAN SOLO - First I would like to start off saying your a fuck1ng idiot. Pyle sucks more dick than you which is hard to believe but its true. You dont know what the fvck your talking about, and why are you lying, you know that you couldnt get an ugly crack wh0re to fvck you in your piece of sh1t camero if you had a $100 bill hanging out of your zipper. If people really are chasing you its not because of your imaginary great bass, its because your system sucks and sounds like sh1t and they are tired of hearing it. So shut the fvck up.

Anonymous
greg get an MTX Audio Thunder942 amp and have it push 2 Rockford Fosgate Punch HE2's, that system would sound great. just put the two 12's in a bandpass box and then your system will be heard down the street. And yoda it sounds you should be the one that should shut the fvck up.

Pyle Sux
actually yoda is right anonymous, pyle is sh*t just like pyramid, legacy, volfenhag, koiller, cuspid and all the other horrible brands out there that are trying to rip off teenagers that want a "bumpin" system. they get this stuff and think they are the sh*t and then i roll up next to them with my JLs and blow the sh*t out of them, so it seems as YOU need to shut the fvck up anonymous

JL, Onyx, Adire, DD, RE, MMatts, Eclipse, Oz audio, Kicker, some of audiobahns newer higher line stuff(alums) but nothing else. those are the stuff that i would buy sub wise, now amps id go JBL, JL, Kicker, MTX or Us amps.

and the guy above me is completely right, pyle sucks just as much as pyramid does.

Anonymous
does anyone know how many 15" subs can fit in a chevy s10? and can you put the subs in the bed of the truck?

John Smith
I have to Sony Xplod 4 ohm 400w 10" Sub Woofers, what kind of amp would you recommend? And whats the best way to get most out of the amp by bridging?

John Smith
I have two of them in a box.

steve taylor
i think all you guys are forgettin polk momo's. by far best subs out there. amp wise id go with alpine, they dont make that high of wattage but the quality is well worth havin 2 amps to power them 12's or 15's. now about receivers.. it all depends on really what u like. kenwood gots some good security features like flip around face that hides everything. or if u like lotta options alpine heads are good.. an if u just want some expensive sh!t that u can have motion or other stupid pictures in the background im sure jvc is right for you. but keep inmind them high-price receivers might make YOUR system stand out more then others an that means better keep an eye out for your sh!t or buy a good alarm ;)

Justin Scott
I put a system in my car last year and just recently went to my first competition and won. I use two kennwood db+ 12" subs, in a custom box. they are powered by a fosgate bd 500.1 class D amp.i have eclipse speakers powered by a explode amp. panosonic deck, and lightening audio wires and cap. i recomend the bd 500 and kennwood 12" subs to anyone that wants a killer system and not have to spend an arm and a leg. those are best subs i have had,the amp is also killer, after i bought mine, my best freind and cusin bought themselves one to. my trunk lock keeps falling out because they hit so hard!

that 10 will never touch a 15 dumb@ss

nut busta
Ive been reading all these cats opinions about which sub pounds and which dont,So i decided that ill' add my 2 cents I havent owned a $hit load of subs but I do know that mine fuc*en pound.I got 2 autotek mx1222 twelves and belive me homie they make biatche$ bust nutz when there in the car there rated at 600 watts but i know they take way more than that.I got them hooked up to a autotek stealth series 1500 watt amp, and from what i hear (both on the streets and in the car)this amp is a bad muthafu*ka. So there you have it my opinion on a great not to known product.. freeessnoooo

ROLAND
were is a store in CA close to L.A that has mmatts subs.

Hill
I just gotta say that I've been dealing with audio equipment for a long time and the stuff I wouldn't touch is anything with the names Sony or Kenwood. I'm from Canada and the best sub I've ever heard is made right hear in T.O. Kaption.....Amazing bass if you get the right amp....Go with the 12inch it rocks but make sure you get the SPL series....Alpine makes the best decks....Hands Down....Alpine V12 amp or a U.S. amplifiers amp rocks.

Anonymous
pyramid hyper pros all the way man

RE X.X.X subs, by far

Bass
I just bought 2 Treo csx 15's. Could anyone tell me how they sound and also what amp(S) to put on them. Thanks

penae
all of you all are stupid little wiggers u know that?

John
Im planning on getting a 10in subwoofer. Im deciding on either an 10in Alpine Type-E 200 RMS or the Inifinity Reference 250 RMS. My Alpine amp puts out 200 RMS. Which of the two would you recommend and which is a better brand for a subwoofer that will last long. Also would the Infinity References be underpowered? Does the 50 RMS less make a difference or not. Thanks!

ryan
alot of the subs everyone is talking about can pound, but as far as i'm concerned, you shouldnt look for subs just to rattle your neighbors windows. I like subs that can handle clear crisp bass all around. Thats why I just bought a new 12-inch kicker solo baric L7.ifulike tight popping bass, super low bass, or just good sound quality, you should give them a listen. Another bonus is they can handle whatever size amp you can throw at them. One thing to keep in mind with these subs is that a 10-inch solo baric will outpound most any other 12-inch sub....just something to keep in mind if you want alot of bass and save some space.......kicker amps rock as well.....thats all I have to say about that.

Anonymous
hey ryan. how can a 10 inch solo baric beat a 12 inch? i thought that if a sub has more surface area, then it will push more air. if that's true, then wouldn't a 12 beat a 10? i'm confused.

mike
i think what he means anonymous is that a 10" solo baric can beat a 12" round sub because mathematically, a square has more surface area than a circle. but the thing that i'm confused about is that a post i once read claimed that a 10" solo baric also beats a 12" solo baric. can anyone tell me if this is true?

Dirt Track Racer
For SPL go with RF. For SQ IDMAX. For a lil SPL and SQ go Alpine Type R. The RF 2 HE 12" 200wrms if you get those go with a 501x wich will give each sub 250wrms x 4ohms

ryan
anonymous..........mike is right. The new square solo barics are 20% larger than their round counterparts.......therefore, more bass. As far as a 10" solo beating a 12" solo......I was told that it was a new square 10" that can beat an older round 12" solo. As long as you've got the power to push'em they just keep getting louder.

surface area

10 inch square sub(equation=side squared) 10x10=100 sq in

12 inch round sub(equation=pi x radius squared) (6 x 6)=36 and 36 x 3.14=113.04 sq in.

the 12 still has more surface area. if you give each sub the same power the round 12 will win and have better SQ at that. square subs suck for sound quality and dont last as long as round subs either.

square subs have been done before, the reason its so uncommon is because each point on the square is a stress point, which causes the material to break down faster. with a round sub, all the stress points are equal, in which case, the sub lasts longer.

:)

Anonymous
Yo guys. Also a nOOb. Been listening to some Rockford's and Pioneer's, like 'em. Lookin on ebay at 2 12" Audiobahn's buy it now for $150. Natural excursion. Flames. Good deal? Also, my freind said he'd sell me his MTX 800 watt (full power) amp, with all the wires and stuff, for $125...should I take it? Also...which is better...Bandpass or Regular...bandpass is louder, but does carry further and stuff? Thanks guys.

John Gazette
JL W7's, audiobahn immortals, and adire brahma's. BEST SUBS ON THE MARKET HANDS DOWN. brahma's specifically check em out!

Derek H
I have to go with kicker, I have a S10L7 and it pounds I was able to hit 142.3 db in Street A DB drags, with the one ten in a vented box. Like yoda said Pyle, Legacy, Pyramid suck. Rockford has been going down hill ever since they decided to worry about looks more than sound quality. Everyone I know has had bad luck with audiobahn, not saying they are a bad company but there low end stuff is $hit.

Anonymous
I have 2 kicker l7 12's in a ported box, with a phoenix gold r30.0:1 amp and it hits so hard its unbelieveable

Anonymous
how can so many people post and not talk about jl???
oh well for some reason the best is overlooked.
eclipse headunit: 8 or 16 volt preouts...alpines best is 4 volt out.
jl subs....w3 for the price your talking loudest and most effecient sub out there(for the price)
jl 500/1 or rockford 1000 bd all the way

how mach watts does a sony 10in wofer have

Anonymous
I'm running a pair of 10" Treo Street Series with dual 2 Ohm voice in a small sealed box and pushing them with a JL Audio 1000/1. It has great SQ and pounds for being a pair of 10s. I agree JL is great for speakers and amps. (I'm running the JL XR570-CXi speakers.) I prefer Treo for SPL or SQ. (Granted the W7 is right up there.)

Anonymous
You guys + Subs = Death

Diamond TDX, RE X X X, ED EA, Storkers...Ill go cry now.

mihklo
it is amazing how uneducated most of you guys are..........there is no best subwoofer on the market period. many people have their preferences but not one is best. for all of you that said a 10 cannot beat a 12 why dont you guys look up some records and stats held by nate munson and tell me it isnt possible. alot of you need to go read up and do some research before you go spouting at the mouth about how stuff such as polk momo's and other stuff like that is the best.

you guys are stupid
Ok forget everyone here said.Their all complete idiots.You guys have no clue about anything on car audio do you?You should go to www.sounddomain.com for future car audio questions.People actually know what their talking about there.First off,what are you looking for,sq(sound quality),spl(loudness),or sql(combination of sq and spl).For a grand try looking at some alpine headunits,eclipse,pioneer,panasonic.For some 6.5 midbass speakers look at cdt(their on sale for 150 for a pair of 6.5's on www.thezeb.com).For the subs and amp now.Your not going to have too much money left now after buying all this.If I were you I would buy a sub and amp with your money and save some more for the rest(this way you have the best stuff now and won't need to upgrade later).Try looking at ed( www.edesignaudio.com ),re( www.respl.com ),Brahma( www.adireaudio.com ).Their are many more but like I said go to sounddomain for more info.As for an amp,it depends on what subs you get.Your going to want to get a 1000 watt amp at least for any of the above subs.Don't ever buy sony,pyramid,legacy or any other sorry stuff .Rockford has some decent stuff,but most of it is crap.Please don't listen to most the people on here.I almost craped myself reading some of their dumb remarks.This is all I'm going to say because I can't stand to be here anymore,like the poster said before me,I'm going to go and cry now

jimmy smith jessie
I dont care what any of you say the kicker solo baric l7 is the best speaker on the market if you are looking for spl and sq!

jeff
i have a 94 ford probe and i was just wondering what would be the best subs and amp to fit my car?

i am nnew in the car audio . but is audio pipe any good. i have about 500$ and i dont know what to buy so help me someone

well i need subs and amp and i have $500

Anonymous
I live in Detroit and in my opinion if any one wants comp subs go with the ma audio's.I blew my back glas a couple of tims if u know what i mean and if you want good side speakers go with mb quarts i have a comp truck and i recomend people to use them to.

massive mustang
Hey anonymous don't cry you're right all those brands kick bootay! BECAUSE they aer hand made in the USA!!! What do u think of TREO SSX 15" subs CHECK them out treoonline.com I think?

JAmal
man u gotta be rich If u can afford those subs must be nice whoever owns some

Anonymous
DO YALL THINK MY 1 15 INCH AUDIOBAHN WILL HIT HARD WITH MY 600 WATT KENWOOD AMP PUSHING THAT ONE SUB IN A PORTED BOX IN A 94 CROWN VIC WIT THAT BIG TRUNK SPACE OR NOT?

LET ME KNOW..

BEFORE I SPEND THE MONEY GETTING IT HOOKED UP

Hydro
Probably not cuz usally the rms rating on the the audiobahn's 15" subs is around 1000 watts depends on what sub u got just let me know but putting 600 watts into a 1000 watt sub u will underpower it and blow it eventually plus a Kenwood amp would be a shitty amp to buy there are sooo many better amps for the money

Anonymous
I have a precision power pcx 2400 and four jl audio w6 12's. it hits like mike tyson. this system is not for the weak. i blew my kicker l7's
the first day i plugged in my amp.(mmatts,diamond,treo,eclipse very good subs)
(rf power hx2 hit very hard)

may-nee-ak
anonymous......you blew the sub because u didnt brake them in first....

L7's can be unreal if u brake them in rite, you made a big big mistake by doing that....
give a sub a week or two (even more is better) if you want really good bass that will blow you away.

Hydro
Anonymous with the Pcx-2400 Amp How do You have those JL's ran cuz I know there Dual 6 ohm coils and Do u have that amp bridged or not?

Hydro
I Imagine you have them wired in series all 4 of them giving you a 3 ohm load and your using both channels cuz that amp is 800x2@2 ohms

Anonymous
hi. can someone give me some advice. i wanna purchase 4 12in kicker comps with a 1200.1 kicker amp with a ported box for all 4 subs. do you think these subs will pound and kick out lots of bass?

newb
i c that most ppl in this forum talk about rockford, kicker, and alpine type r subs. i know rockford and kicker are known for good spl but arent crossfire, phoenix gold, and JL better overall? hit me back if u have experience with more than one of these, thx

Anonymous
what do you guys think about a pair of JBL 12 inch 400 watt rms subs, and a JBL 1200 watt 2 ohm amp ?

kicker subs are "square" get it ?

Anonymous

Ok everyone,let me explain something. The jl audio W7 subs are the best subs in the world. The perfect amp to drive the 13W7 is the jl 1000/1. As for satellite speakers, go with JL XR series or MB Quart premium or q series. as for headunit, eclipse is the best out there. Kenwood, RF, pioneer all suck, and SONY XPLOD is by far the crappiest ever! Dont ever get sony.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 212
I would mostly concur.
the 1000/1 is ideal for the 13W7, but there are some equal or better subs out there depending on what you're after, and what you can afford to spend. Granted speakers at this level will mostly be a subjective choice since price isn't so much an issue at the top echelon.

A few alternatives:
Subs:
Onyx Mobile Audio LSM series
www.onyxmobileaudio.com

Components:
DynAudio
www.dynaudiousa.com
Rainbow Car Audio
www.rainbow-car-audio.de

Amplifiers:
Sinfoni
www.sinfoni.com