Can I mount amp to sub box?

Username: Nyyalltheway

Post Number: 1
I want to mount my amp to the back of my sub box. It's a thunder box by MTX and the back is just the the side of the port which opens out on the sid of the box. Will it being bolted to the side of the port cause a problem or make it sound worse?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10903
Best Answer:

Mounting amps to sub boxes is generally not recommended.

Related:

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1450
while it isnt the best thing as long as the box doesnt flex much you ought to be alright but id only do it if you have too

Post Number: 2
I looked all over my trunk and there's nowhere to mount it on the side or anything. why is it not recommended?

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1452
the shaking can knock componets loose in the amp and cause it to fail

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1453
can you see the backseat? thats a great place to mount just make sure your screws arent too long

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18980
I did it years ago. Why? Because it looked cool.

15 years later I realize it was a stupid idea for many reasons. Smash and grab thieves, internal damage to the amp, more work swapping out boxes, ect, ect, ....

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10906
Also ill add you dont want your amp on something that can move around.

Post Number: 3
do you mean shake or like slide around? I think the whole car will shake. Are you talking about internal wires or the rcas,ground wire,etc?

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1454
internal wires. i know the whole car shakes but feel the diff on the box vs say the back of the back seat its minimal

Post Number: 4
okay, thanks. I appreciate the input. I'll see if I can find a spot on the side of the trunk or the back of the seat.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 18981
The AMP'S internals will take on damage.

Think of it this way. Put a VCR(you young guys may not know what they are) on top of a washing machine during the spin cycle. All kinds of sh1t happens wrong.

Multiply that by 100 and you see the kind of violence an amp would see securely connected to a sub box.

The analogy may be off but you get my drift.

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 820
if you HAD to make like rubber washers to go inbetween

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1455
put it on the shortest side possible as well so it has the least flex

Gold Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 1615
keep in mind that it IS MTX... lol J/K

Seriously, this is an old topic in the car audio forums.... I would NEVER want to subject any decent equipment to that kind of abuse.. I like to keep my equipment in good shape... There is NO WAY that it can be good to be bolted to the enclosure..And why would you wanna gift wrap a sub/amp combo for these fu<king theives. There is always another way to do things.. Ask on another thread to see if anyone has experience with that particular vehicle. You will likely find that there is a better way..

My $.02

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8972
Do not mount amps to the sub box

" Amplifier mounting:
DO NOT mount an amplifier on your subwoofer box. I know that there has been a great deal of discussion over mounting an amplifier to an enclosure and many people do it all of the time with no problems but those people probably build good enclosures from 3/4" (or thicker) MDF with extensive bracing. Most people (especially young impatient people) are too lazy to do that and build unbraced enclosures from 5/8 MDF. These enclosures will flex considerably more than a proper enclosure and will likely cause amplifier failure if the amp is mounted to the enclosure.
REASON:
When the woofer(s) moves in or out, the box flexes and therefore causes the sides of the box to vibrate. This vibration is transferred to the amplifier mounted to the box. All of the electrical components in the amplifier have mass. Inertia (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest) tells them to stay at rest, the box vibration is trying to make them move. The energy from the box's vibration is transferred to the components through the electrical leads which are soldered into the circuit board. All of this will cause the components to break loose and therefore cause the amplifier to fail prematurely. Basically, the amplifier will commit suicide! :-) I'm not telling you this because someone told me it was bad. I've been repairing amplifiers since ~1985. Virtually every amplifier that's come into my shop with parts rattling around inside them have been mounted on the speaker box. It causes the legs of the semiconductors to break (which causes amplifier failure). It causes the capacitors to break off of the board (which can cause catastrophic amplifier failure). It causes solder joints to break on the semiconductors mounted to the heat sink. It causes transformer windings to grind into one another (which causes lots of smoke to pour out of your amplifier). People who repeatedly tell others to mount their amps on the speaker box because they've never had a problem remind me of people who drink and drive and say there's nothing wrong with it because they've never crashed their vehicle. Eventually, in both cases, problems will arise. "

http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

Post Number: 5
alright, i'll find somewhere in the trunk to mount it. i appreciate all the help

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 507
mount it to the seat. looks good especially when the seat is down, make sure you mount amp so that the positive and ground facing down, so you dont have to run power wire and ground wire up your seat lol, stupid but common mistake with noobies, just trying to save you some time
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us