Mounting amp on sub box

Silver Member
Username: Northomaha

Post Number: 395
i have heard that mounting your amp on the back of the sub box is bad for the amp. i know that the ideal placement is a seperate amp rack but i dont have space for an amp rack. anybody have any info on this issue?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 13222
i wouldn't do it. all that extra vibrations can't be good.

before i was in a situation where i had to mount on my box. what i did was i put an extra sheet of mdf and put like 4 layers of edead on it before i mounted the amp. it helped alot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
yea, i dont think itll immediatly have any effects but over the long run im thinkin itll shorten the amps life.

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1731
put a piece of leather or something under the amp then hook it to the box... or like a rubber bicycle intertube. just something to absorb the vibrations

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Team RevolutionImortal Box ...

Post Number: 7726

quote:

put a piece of leather or something under the amp then hook it to the box... or like a rubber bicycle intertube. just something to absorb the vibrations

hhahahaha Rubber bicycle intertube. I lmao

Gold Member
Username: Oglejust

Post Number: 1736
lmfao stfu logan

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2800
Amp rack is ideal, back of the seat is usually the next best option.

Quote from http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

Amplifier mounting:
DO NOT mount an amplifier on your subwoofer box. I know that there has been a great deal of discussion over mounting an amplifier to an enclosure and many people do it all of the time with no problems but those people probably build good enclosures from 3/4" (or thicker) MDF with extensive bracing. Most people (especially young impatient people) are too lazy to do that and build unbraced enclosures from 5/8 MDF. These enclosures will flex considerably more than a proper enclosure and will likely cause amplifier failure if the amp is mounted to the enclosure.
REASON:
When the woofer(s) moves in or out, the box flexes and therefore causes the sides of the box to vibrate. This vibration is transferred to the amplifier mounted to the box. All of the electrical components in the amplifier have mass. Inertia (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest) tells them to stay at rest, the box vibration is trying to make them move. The energy from the box's vibration is transferred to the components through the electrical leads which are soldered into the circuit board. All of this will cause the components to break loose and therefore cause the amplifier to fail prematurely. Basically, the amplifier will commit suicide! :-) I'm not telling you this because someone told me it was bad. I've been repairing amplifiers since ~1985. Virtually every amplifier that's come into my shop with parts rattling around inside them have been mounted on the speaker box. It causes the legs of the semiconductors to break (which causes amplifier failure). It causes the capacitors to break off of the board (which can cause catastrophic amplifier failure). It causes solder joints to break on the semiconductors mounted to the heat sink. It causes transformer windings to grind into one another (which causes lots of smoke to pour out of your amplifier). People who repeatedly tell others to mount their amps on the speaker box because they've never had a problem remind me of people who drink and drive and say there's nothing wrong with it because they've never crashed their vehicle. Eventually, in both cases, problems will arise.

Gold Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 6923
Box mounted amps also make it easier for the smash and grabs. **Smash. Snip snip, run.**

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
yea, i have no other option, there is no room for an amp rack without thoroughly modifying the trunk and back seat. i dont want to do this so i think i will do what chad says and hope for the best.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Team Fi Car Audio [:-]

Post Number: 1633
i use just thick rubber...

a piece about 1/4" is perfect and you can cut it however big you want it. i get it free all day at a gasket company...

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
where do you think i could get that at?

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 361
You can mount your amp on your sub box. Just shock mount it. It'll be fine.

Gold Member
Username: Wolfman1966

Http://www.realmofexcu..., See my KRAZY... USA

Post Number: 3110
just wondering, why would you have to modify the back seat, my amp screwed on there with no problem

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2817
^^^^^ X2

Gold Member

Post Number: 1634
"where do you think i could get that at?"

anywhere company that makes gaskets.

they have all kinds of thicknesses and there is always scrap.

the last time i went they had, seriously, about 5,000 fresh cut 1/4" circles that were just big enough to cut a piece out for my memphis mojo amp, and its almost 2 feet long.

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 13232
tremor and his big box FTW.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1636
haha, me and my big box and also not having anywhere to put the amp but on the box FTL!!!

hey chad, i seen a thread that said something about stuff you had for sale but its gone now, whats up? you sellin some stuff?

Platinum Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 13241
i was going to then i changed my mind. lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

2 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 11597
great post up there MS - man i got sooooooooooooo tired of posting that exact info everytime ppl ask this

mounting an amp in front a box can also cause damage even though its about 12" away like i had to learn the hard way ,master\slave my 6wk old soundstream picasso 2000d has gotten slack because of the bass so imagine what else is going to slacken inside of amps put ON the box ......

Silver Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 646
thanks for that M.S^^^

I was debating mounting my amps on my box for a while...haha that settles it

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
in my cadillac there is no place to really mount it because there is a trap door behind the armrest that goes from the trunk to the back seat and its surround sticks out about an inch into the trunk so it is not an even surface to mount an amp. like is said though, i really dont have much of a choice. i will do what chad said and also get some gaskets and hoper for the best.

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 2442
You can also brace your box from the INSIDE, like make a rectangle where the perimeter of the amp will be, then screw it to the brace pieces.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us