Need some help building box!

Bronze Member
Username: Poundhardheh

Palmerston, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 18
I have a 12" type X and I'm wanting to make a box, I'm thinking I should tune it around 25 to 35, but I dont know the best. I like the low notes that shake the car, but I dont know whats best for the sub, I heard 28 was good. Also how big should box volume(cubic feet) be to get the most sound and volume out of the sub? HELP ME! IM ALSO POWERING IT WITH A JL 1000/1

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
How's these numbers soudn?

MDF - 1 inch
Square port width - 4 inches
Port Heigth - 16 inches
Port length - 27 inches
Port Volume DIsplaced - 3047
Box Volume - 3.866 (cubic feet)
Tuned Freq - 28.837

The site calls for 1 - 2 cubic feet box for ported but I'm looking for something to fit nicely in my trunk...so What would happen if the volume was almost 2 more cubic feet?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Or this

MDF - 1 inch
Square port width - 2 inches
Port Height - 13 inches
Port Length - 18 inches
Port Volume Displaced - 967
Port Volume - 2.036 (cubic feet)
Tuned Freq - 29.244

Which would be louder in my 95 cadillac Deville? They are both relatively low tuned so they will both shake pretty good, but which one will be louder and better Quality?
Also is being that low tuned fine?

I would prefer the Bigger one because it will fit perfectly in the back of the trunk but if the smaller one sounds better and is louder than small one it is!

I am just starting into making boxes so I am needing help lol

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 747
can i builds it for you sir

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I'm from canada lol. But can you help me? I want to learn cause I love car audio.

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Marionville, MO

Post Number: 977
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 627
http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

that site is helpful. I dont know much about what kind of specs you need, but I have a little box building experience if you have any specific questions. I would go with something around 3 cuft(the type-r does best with 2-2.5cuft) for that sub(rough estimate). Do you want SQ, SQL, or SPL(that will decide what you should tune to)? SQ is sound quality SPL is all out loud and SQL is the middle ground... in case you didn't know.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Yea I knew that. But I'm mostly looking to get the most SPL possible because the Type X is pretty freakin clear anyways. But out of the two setups I have near the top what would give me more SPL?

Silver Member

Post Number: 628
hard to tell. The larger box will generally give more SPL, but the other box is tuned higher, which can also increase SPL. I'm not sure if the typex likes higher tuning since it is an sq sub. I would try for something like 3.8cuft at 35hz. You probably only need 3/4 inch mdf with a little cross bracing not 1 inch.

Out of those 2 I would say go with the first one, but I think a better box could be designed(not an expert).

PM Troy Jones(Not positive it was him). If it was him he built a box for 1 type-x for his wife that turned out really well. I think he hit 140 something on the meter and still got a good amount of sq.

Silver Member

Post Number: 629
yes it was Troy Jones for sure. Send him a PM and he will probably help you out

also the sub in the box he built hit a 140.4

aaaand I just found his email tejcurrent@yahoo.com

google FTW!

and edited for the 4th time https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/502650.html

^the pictures in that thread show the box and he lists the specs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
THANK YOU!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
I vhavew a type x in the type x box right now powered by a jl 1000/1 and its only turned up a lil passd half, but everytime I'm done using it for a lil, it smells like burning. But its not blown, i know that cause the cone aint stiff! It's pissing me off cause I dont want to blow it, and I know I can power it way more!

Silver Member

Post Number: 639
make sure Bass boost is all the way off.

Make sure you have your gains set properly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Yea, I figured it out. It wasn't in parallel. Now i switched it to run paralell at two ohms

Silver Member

Post Number: 642
yeah thats important too lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
It's running way cleaner and louder on lower volumes now! Perfect lol...but im stil trying to build dat box. I think I'm going to do this...

Box Volume - 4.1 (cubic feet)
Freq - 33
Volume Displace - 3190---What is this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
not sure... My best guess is that its the volume displaced by your port in inches.
I'm not sure you need the box to be that large for just 1 type-x. You probably only need 3 cuft. That should be a good tuning though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us